The importance of fiction

Talk about any old rubbish here - but don't spam!
Yunalesca
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

The importance of fiction

Post by Yunalesca » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:15 am

Whenever great darkness looms on the horizon, the only way people choose to keep going, to survive, is to find hope.

Some of us find that hope in each other.
Some of us replace that hope with addictions.
And many, like me, find that hope in fiction. Stories of fantastical proportions where the world is saved by a few heroes, with a purpose.

Heroes we know by name,
Gibbs, Picard, Kirk, Yunalesca, Swan, Janeway, Link, Ashelia,and Lightning to name most of the ones who have kept me going.

Heroes we don't know,
Be they the police, or soldiers, firefighters, or paramedics, in a book, who are so seemingly inconsequential to the plot that they don't even get a name beyond "Officer Smith".

Heroes we wish we knew,
Be they fictional, or not. They're important.

Some of us write fiction because it is an outlet for us; an escape from the everyday mundane that plagues our lives.

And some of us read, or play through fiction to find those very heroes, just to make it through one more day.

A few people in the fleet have made commentary that they disapprove of something in a sim; the nature of a character, or the plot of the current mission. I am guilty of this. I am not pointing fingers.

But maybe, even if it's just for today, don't bring the darkness of our world in to these stories that we're writing.

Maybe. Just for today.

Let's all just enjoy the characters we write, and focus on writing something that might give us a little bit of hope. No matter how little.

Maybe. Just for today.

Write.
I'm not dead
Let's have dinner

"It'll be fine."
Narrator voice: "It actually was not."

Aaron
Chief of Public Relations

Re: The importance of fiction

Post by Aaron » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:29 pm

Very well put.

I am not a huge reader other than Comics because of my short attention span.

I have found myself the past few months over coming the ADD and losing myself in a book.

I do not write as eligently as the rest of those in the Fleet but I find turning the Depressing news off and losing myself in a book, comic, reading your guys posts, or enjoying talking with yall on Discord.

Now more than ever some of us need that escape, and the one thing we do well is our community.
Rear Admiral Jesse James
Pegasus Fleet

Lt.CMdr Craig Travis
Chief of Base Security
SB 332
TF11

Return to “General Discussion”