Ideas for New R&D Projects

General Discussion for R&D Matters

Moderator: Clement

What vehicle type(s) would you most like to see more specifications for?

Carrier
11%
Corvette
No votes
Cruiser
5%
Destroyer
14%
Explorer
22%
Ship-of-the-Line
8%
Support
16%
Starbase
14%
Other
11%

Total votes: 37

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Ideas for New R&D Projects

Post by Alex » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:26 pm

This thread is for anyone to post their ideas for what they would like to see R&D work on in the future.

Please respond to the poll as well. You may choose up to three (3) options, and you can also change your vote. This will allow us to judge shifting interests as one area is focused on, you can change your vote for a different category.

If you choose Other, please reply describing what you had in mind.
Fleet Admiral Emily Quinn
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Artim Sequoia
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Re: Ideas for New R&D Projects

Post by Artim Sequoia » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:23 am

Finally doing justice to a science vessel would be great.
Lieutenant Commander Artim Sequoia, PhD
Chief Science Officer
USS Dauntless

Thomas Smith
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

Post by Thomas Smith » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:25 am

There are ample resources for many different types of ships online and within our own WIKI and specifications. I would like to see additional information/creation of freighters, civilian craft, small personal craft and the like. Every ship out there is not a federation vessel or government owned/operated.

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by FruitLoop » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:16 pm

I agree with Smith. not every ship is Starfleet, some may be tellarite freighters or adf ships, Klingon or romulan. I've seen sims form around these and wouldn't mind putting in the work if it needs to be a joint GAC/R&D venture.

Constantine
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Constantine » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:02 am

A garbage scow, I actually have the specs for it. You wouldn't believe what stories can spawn from a garbage scow.

Scarlett Pickern
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by Scarlett Pickern » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Okay. I've cast my vote for Starbase, Support and Ship of the Line. I don't have exact reasons given I'm not likely to pay attention to any of it afterwards. I would however like to second a motion for what Artim said. I realize a good Science Vessel isn't exactly what makes most people go weak in the knees and go "Ooh! Gimme! Gimme!" like a young child wanting cotton candy, but, with what science does there should be a supreme build that acknowledges what the sciences actually have given and the role they play for the Trek world.

I'm not necessarily saying I want it loaded up with more guns than your average warship, but, there is so much that can be done to make a science vessel fantastic and a wonder to behold. That goes with both medical and science ships. In my opinion, they offer more options in the way of allowing new and experimental devices or systems that help maintain the ship. Have you all even considered looking into an actual living bio-ship? There are so many Star Trek books out there that touch boundaries of such ships and stations. I'm not talking the biological gel packs, I mean living ships that maintains itself and the crew. This is just one idea that could be given out for a future ship. The fact that not many take on such a task to create something like that would offer your members a chance to experience and play with something completely new. Science vessels -can- be exciting if there are people willing enough to use their imagination a little bit. Star Trek has sparked the imagination of people all over the world. If you are to give Star Trek it's due respect, you would venture into unfamiliar territory. I understand that realism and strengths and flaws must be given thought, but that doesn't make it right to recreate the same ships over and over.

I commend the work that has been done in the past, it's not an easy task to take on. But, don't leave ships or ideas out if there is a good chance that something new and exciting would be created. I like Star Trek canon, but, I also love boldly going where no one has gone before. Anyway, any of you think that something could be made that allows the sciences to have at least one spot light? Engineering, Tactical gets quite a bit of attention. It's time to get out of the box.
Scarlett Pickern
Executive Officer
USS Dauntless/Pegasus Fleet

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by FruitLoop » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:06 am

Starfleet would not have the tech for bioships until some time around 2500. Let's stay with what they do have ships for. But a good science ship does sound cool, though I'd like to see other race ships.

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:17 pm

Now that you mention it, any chance of some basic info on the starbase class we talked about ages ago for the station in orbit of Cestus III? I was going through my works-in-progress on the wiki and remembered that that one was just waiting on some technical info

http://wiki.pegasusfleet.net/index.php? ... tarbase_48

Seoulless
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Seoulless » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:45 am

Anything on the drawing board yet?

Stern
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post by Stern » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:31 pm

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a few different things, but a corvette-style class of ship could be interesting. Maybe not for a sim, but just as another ship. I actually had some ideas for a civilian ship, as I feel like a lot of the time there really aren't a ton of very interesting civilian vessels, unless you start looking at things like the Maquis Raider, and even then those were mainly just re-purposed from something else. When I look at things like... Well, that freighter in TNG that had that drunk for a Captain, it was blocky and ugly and dumb. You look at other properties, Star Wars for example, and you get some really incredible civilian ship designs, and as someone who genuinely loves playing civilian characters, particularly freighter/smuggler Captains, small to medium sized civilian ships start to matter. Especially the medium ships, 2-4 decks, as those tend to make great cargo vessels. But cargo vessels shouldn't have to look like garbage scows.

Also....

Lieutenant (JG) Areinnye t'Lhaenn
Chief Intelligence Officer
Starbase Zeta

Rear Admiral Anton de Fitenzia
Director of Research and Development
Pegasus Fleet

Return to “Starfleet Engineering Outer Office”