Rank in relation to ship class.

Have a question? Ask here, and a member of the staff will do their best to answer it for you!
Lucius MacLeod
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Re: Rank in relation to ship class.

Post by Lucius MacLeod » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:09 am

I'll start by saying that I don't expect anything to change. I've served in fleets online for 14 years and one thing I can say is that, the Admiralty does not change it's policy because some people don't like it.

However I will still state my opinion. Something I don't like is that by limiting what ranks CO's and XO's can be, it limits the ranks of the gamers and thus limits how they can portray themselves. If all they can be are junior officers, they pretty much have to portray young officers if they want to have anything approaching realistic rp. Me personally, I do't think Department Heads should be fresh snot nosed brats right out of the Academy. So when I'm forced to portray a junior officer heading up a department, I generally have my character as a mustang but even this can only go so far. As for the thing about starting CO's low so that they get to be promoted....really? If someone just wants to see how many promotions they can get, tell them to enlist as a Crewman try to work their way up to E-9 or maybe even make it into the Warrant ranks. It's been my experience that most CO's aren't really here to be promoted, they're here to command. If they never rise above the rank of Captain but still get to command their ship, the majority of 'em are happy. Especially since flag ranks means getting political and then it's a game to see who you can make hate you less that you can get your agenda pushed through.
LTJG Lucius MacLeod
CStratOps
USS Dauntless NCC-51339

Confusedfire
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Confusedfire » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:41 pm

Honestly most of my ship's crew are older and more seasoned officers though they are LT or LTJG's. Just because you're an older more seasoned officer doesn't make you a Lieutenant Commander or full Commander. Also I have played across many sims for nearly fifteen years myself, and I've come across some that even though the CO is a Rear Admiral he still likes to start his Department Heads off as Ensigns regardless what their biography says they've done or what they've accomplished. I command a Ronin class ship, and I am a Commander in both character and out of character many of my crew are seasoned officers who are Lieutenant or lower. They came to write a story about their character and the Nakatomi, not to play politics with rank.

I don't see what the big deal about rank is, I never have and perhaps I never will. By only being a Commander that means that I still have some room to move up in the world and become a Captain again or something. To me it is a big turn off when a potential member comes to me and says I'll join your sim if you give me the rank of Lieutenant Commander. Regardless if I am a Captain or a Commander and regardless what rank my XO is I will turn them down every time and I don't care how well written their biography is. I have offered promotions to people and have been told "No thanks" many times because like me that is not what they are interested in. Personally I don't see the point of rank we are all on a level playing field in Pegasus Fleet I mean yes you still have a chain of command, but that is for conflict resolution nothing else.

When a player of mine who is a non-department head and an Ensign wants to go on an LOA I don't make them send their request to their Department Head and wait until the XO gives approval before I approve. All LOA requests are approved on the spot, and when I am formal with a player I do not address them by their character name or rank I address them by the name which they applied for. We have real lives we have real names and many people do not have a military background don't get me wrong on that because I know some of us do.

And, finally like I said before I see little point in limiting the class ships that a person can have based on their rank it can be a big turn off on new membership I've been in fleets that do that, and frankly I felt like I wasn't able to really pick what I wanted or tell the story that I wanted to.
Captain Neela Izal
Commanding Officer TF37
Commanding Officer SB-812

"Spot this is down...down is good!"

- LCDR Data

Joe_Rhimer
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Joe_Rhimer » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:35 pm

Again: It's a game, guys. End of the day, rank doesnt matter. We're just here to have fun.

misskorya
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by misskorya » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:20 pm

Joe_Rhimer wrote:Again: It's a game, guys. End of the day, rank doesnt matter. We're just here to have fun.

Thank you...

Return to “Questions for PF Staff”