Input Required: Fleet Timeline

Talk about any old rubbish here - but don't spam!

In Character Year Progression

Poll ended at Sat May 12, 2012 4:55 pm

Maintain current progression rate
59%
Slow IC time progression to 2:1
32%
Abstain
9%

Total votes: 22

Williams
Admin
Admin

Input Required: Fleet Timeline

Post by Williams » Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:55 pm

Greetings members of the 11th Fleet

We need your input on a matter which has been under discussion by the Fleet Admiralty and the COs of the fleet for some time. Frankly, many are split on the issue, with the major stumbling block being how much it affects you, the everyday simmer. As our purpose on the PFA is to serve all of you, and provide you with an enjoyable environment to roleplay in, it only makes sense for us to come and ask your opinions on this topic.

The topic in question is the speed at which In Game (or In Character) time progresses in relation to the time progression of the real world. For years, most fleets have maintained an equal ratio; advancing their fleet’s year by one with each turn of a new year in the real world, and still many more sims have instead opted not to concern themselves with the year, and either leave it undefined, or leave it at its ‘default’ value on the day that the sim was founded.

However, with the amount of time it often takes for sims to progress through one mission, which In Character may only last a week or a month at most but will often extend into months in the real world, many of us believe that there isn’t enough time within the year to be able to fit in enough story telling without having to skip large gaps of time. Star Trek series most often had about 26 episodes in each season, which spanned a year in character; for many sims, the amount of missions they can push out in a year ranges from 2-5 on average. So, a proposal was put forward to alter the progression of In Character time; essentially we would only advance the In Character year once every two years. This would allow another full year for simmers to fit in stories and missions within the space of that In Character year, meaning that we have to skip out less, and that we can write about events that are linked with each other within a reasonable IC time frame.

We won't force any sim to adopt the fleet timeline, just like we don't now, but it will be what is used for the purposes of Fleet Canon and GAC articles. So you do not need to worry if you feel one way, but the popular vote goes the other. Your own sims can either go with whatever is decided here, or they can choose to ignore it. Sim timelines have always been rather flexible when it comes to sims joining up for a plot together, but this decision is to assist in managing the timeline for the fleet-at-large.

We would appreciate all of your input, as you are the ones who will be most affected by whatever happens with the IC year if your sim uses it or plans to make use of and follow it in the future. The topic has three simple voting options; Maintain current progression, Slow IC time progression to 2:1, and Abstain. Please only use abstain if it really doesn’t matter to you either way; we would obviously rather you chose one of the two other options, but we understand that not everybody will be interested in this, and the abstain option will be there to allow us to see that you’ve put the effort in to read this and to vote, even if you don’t mind which way we go. Please feel free if you wish to post in the topic your comments and thoughts regarding this potential change; we encourage freedom of speech on the forums and would appreciate any additional comments on your views if you have any.

Thank you for reading this, and please take the time to select your option. The poll will run for 14 days.

jp Gifford
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Re: Input Required: Fleet Timeline

Post by jp Gifford » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:08 pm

As always a big advocate of the CO's choice to run a sim and it's timelines. Not being a commanding officer of a sim here at PF I would support their combined decisions. The 2:1 ratio has it's merits of support in Fleet organization. Leaving it as an option for our CO's should remain on the table.
Michael Rhodan
Commanding Officer USS Overseer

Major John Gifford
MCO, Starbase Threshold

Lan Parker
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

Post by Lan Parker » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:12 pm

I have chosen to abstain a good GM/DM/CO knows his story and how fast it should be progressing so I'd like to leave it to them. The question is who is ultimately in charge.
Lan Parker
Ship: Available
Length of Service: 0

Snow Hill (Winter)
Starbase: 332 Rank: Staff Sgt
Length of Service: 18 days
NPC's on Ship: 1. (Kyoko Washington)

[Acting CO] Murik King
Starbase: The Langport Rank: Lt JG
Length of Service: 14
NPC's on Ship 6

dezertsuz

Post by dezertsuz » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:24 pm

I can go either way, because I pretty much ignore time unless it's January 1 and I upgrade the year.

JasmineSomers
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by JasmineSomers » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:56 pm

I myself have voted, but I will abode my my COs choice for SB 218
CHARACTERS

-----------------------------------------
"Today is a Good Day to die" Klingon saying
-----------------------------------------

Oliver Vinn
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by Oliver Vinn » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:08 pm

It is ultimately up to whom ever is in charge. I'll go with what ever my CO decides like most everyone else has said, however I don't even know what the fleets time line is. Of course I just made my account with the forums and I've been a part of Pegasus Fleet for about two months and then some now. I'm not oppossed either way as long as I can write and have fun doing it without having to participate too much in the political stuff.

Thanks!
Ensign Oliver Vinn
Squadron Commander
Starbase Pioneer

~Austin

brendan81
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by brendan81 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Did the 2-1. Am a CO, but I feel that this should be a fleet decision I'll send the whole thing to my crew so they can vote as well. I tend to keep which time it is as vague as possible and as far as I know it's 2389.
Currently Playing On:
Lt.Cmdr. Sean O'Connell, Csec, Starbase 332

KejalBuris
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

Post by KejalBuris » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:18 am

Apologies for the abstention, but my feeling is simple: I move forward when it makes sense to go through. My ship is run episodically, so we're as liable to be a week between missions as a month or a year.

Blackcat
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Blackcat » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:28 pm

Honestly, the idea is ridiculous. Just because Bravo Fleet did it isn't a good enough reason for us to even consider it. Putting it into fleet law, optional or not, is basically forcing it on people who may want to do Joint Missions down the road, because if the timeline affects fleet canon, it's either follow it or have the ability to use the fleet's toys limited. To me this is akin to when the powers that be in Obsidian Fleet forced the events of ST:2009 down their people's throats. They lost a lot of good people over that. All this does is complicate matters for everyone in a way that's totally unwarranted.
nnn >^o.o^< nnn
ImageImage

Estabar
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by Estabar » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:35 pm

I have to just take the gloves off and be one hundred percent honest about this.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have heard brought up since the Hobus Star debacle.

This is nothing more than legislation for the sake of legislation. Time on a sim moves at the speed of plot.

There is absolutely ZERO reason to make a rule over the passage of time.

The ONLY thing this is going to accomplish is start another division within the fleet.

It is beyond stupid to start a discussion of a new rule with "You don't have to follow this is you don't want to but we're going to make a rule about it for the sake of making a rule about it."

No good can come of this. Those who support it and those who don't support it will now have something else pointless to argue over. Just like the Hobus Star crap, we have another reason for sims within the same fleet to not interact with each other. We need to find way to draw Pegasus Fleet closer together, not ways to drive sims that are already on dangerous ground for lack of communication further apart.

I am voting NO and beg anyone with the good of the fleet at heart to follow suit.

Return to “General Discussion”