Other sci-fi?

Talk about any old rubbish here - but don't spam!
Florent D'Artois
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Other sci-fi?

Post by Florent D'Artois » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:56 pm

What other Sci-fi are you fans of?

Personally I loved BSG and am enjoying Caprica. I also loved Firefly while it lasted!
What "ales" you, friend?

Terris
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Re: Other sci-fi?

Post by Terris » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:52 am

I like Star Wars. I have all 6 episodes.
“Your job is to keep holding on, even when you think you can’t”--Captain Janeway

Wellington
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by Wellington » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:55 pm

I loved BSG but wouldn't call myself a "fan."

Star Wars is my first love.

Varela
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

Post by Varela » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:14 pm

Stargate. SG1 and Atlantis all the way. Universe can rot.

Florent D'Artois
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by Florent D'Artois » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:46 am

I haven't been watching Stargate Universe, but I have a certain respect for Robert Carlyle for his movie work. I am catching-up on SG1, currently watching season 8, and I'm at the same time watching Atlantis season 1.
What "ales" you, friend?

Negrath

Post by Negrath » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:53 am

Babylon 5. Excellent show, and annoyingly enough one of those shows that were -designed- to die after a set period of time. Just as well, really; not a bad word about her replacement, but I would have gotten a lot more out of it if we'd been allowed to keep Sinclair, pre-delenn and Ivanova.

Star Trek. Got the whole enchillada on the shelf, short of the latest movie and Enterprise, which I consider fanfic, at best. STO? Alternate universe-affair in my book.

Star Wars. Only truly acknowledge the -first- 3. Truly good movies have been in short supply in my opinion since the big 2k(or possibly earlier) but that's a whole other discussion I won't get into here.

Firefly. 'Serenity', though excellent in its own right, killed the show rather than rekindle it as they supposedly claimed it would, so the movie never happened in 'my' universe.

Stargate. SG-1 a solid yes despite a consistent lack of true continuity(I remember noting at least one instance of the same kind of problem stumping them completely in two different episodes; what they make all those reports for if they're just gonna be tossed out the window?), good sense and, in parts, a degree of actually reasonable reasoning. The 'follow-ups'...good timewasters, but I wouldn't go out of my way to see them.

Alien. old stuff, from back when they had to focus on story. or something. not too keen on the sequels

Predator. Started out strong, then got 'normalized' too much. And I have some problems with Aliens vs Predator(or whichever way it was), though I can believe the two races being 'made for each other'. Got to wonder what would have happened if they'd stumbled across the Top Dogs of SG-1 badguys...anyone know a graphic representation of such a mix, please let me know. Thanks anyway. :)

tueborvita
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

Post by tueborvita » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:23 am

As far as shows go, not a lot of new sci-fi has really perked my interest. I'm a fan of the older shows: Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, Red Dwarf, The original V series, Space 1999, Space Above and Beyond, Brimstone, Alien Nation, B5, Amazing Stories, Quantum Leap, Sliders, Misfits of Science, Logan's Run, The Incredible Hulk, Wonder Woman, Earth 2.. (Yes I was born in the 70s and raised on Kung Fu theatre, Creature Feature and Star Trek). I thoroughly enjoyed Farscape, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica Reimagined and Eureka as the newer shows that I've watched more than one or two episodes of. I tend to read much more heavily than I watch TV unless its cooking related. Getting me to watch a movie in the theater is even harder. On VHS I'm a Netflix fiend. If its there and it's bad: I'm in. Better finds have been foreign sci-fi/horror like Rammbock, Mutants, The Horde, Salvage.. I love my 80s sci-fi like Aliens, Terminator, Predator, The Quiet Earth. Black and white B Movies are another love, especially if there are giant insects.
Image Image

Joe_Rhimer
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Joe_Rhimer » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:03 am

BSG (new and original)
Star Wars (Originals more, but I can find merits in the new ones here and there)
Firefly/Serenity
Alien series (with the exception of the most recent two)
Terminator
Predator
Farscape
Sliders
Quantum Leap
Dr. Who

And a metric crap-ton more that I can't think of right now lol

Return to “General Discussion”