Too Much Spam

Talk about any old rubbish here - but don't spam!
jamessolomon
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Too Much Spam

Post by jamessolomon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:01 am

Has this forum not got a anti bot device to keep em out like a capatcha or something it seems since I was on here last night its been seriously infected with spam ands spam that may be inappropriate

jamessolomon
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Re: Too Much Spam

Post by jamessolomon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:33 am

Super spam attacks need to stop its messing up the forums for the rest of us to use

Joe_Rhimer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Joe_Rhimer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Give the site gods a bit of time :) Having been attacked my spammers like this before on my own forums, the clean up and prevention assessment process can take a while.

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:19 pm

We do have anti-spam bot measures (which you'll notice have worked well for quite some time), but there is no such thing as a 'fix-all' anti-spam option. No matter what measures you put in, sooner or later they'll find a away through and you'll have to add something else. Obviously last night they managed to get through what we already had in place... I'll be looking into what I can change to stop them again.

For the record though, captcha isn't very good anymore. Most spam bots are sophisticated enough to get past it; that's what we had on the wiki until I made a recent change that requires someone to answer a Trek-related question, and it did nothing.

Joe_Rhimer

Post by Joe_Rhimer » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:29 pm

yep, the image scanners on these spam bots is just about starfleet worthy anymore

jamessolomon
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by jamessolomon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:15 pm

Anyone gonna clean up the mess these borg drones as im gonna call em did

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:30 pm

I thought about deleting posts, but I'm not entirely sure how far my moderation permissions go. Besides, I know next to nothing about this sort of thing. I'll leave it to the webmasters. They may need to have an idea where the worst hit forums are. I'm going to leave removal to them, mostly so I don't get rid of something they need.

Of course, if they don't need those posts for any reason, and they tell me that, I would be happy to remove any I see.
Fleet Admiral Emily Quinn
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Confusedfire
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Confusedfire » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:23 pm

We should make registration similar to what we do for our wiki...Obsidian Fleet has it set up where you apply for an account via the IFS. That is what we should do, also deleting those posts before you remove the bots does nothing because they continue to attack until they are removed.
Captain Neela Izal
Commanding Officer TF37
Commanding Officer SB-812

"Spot this is down...down is good!"

- LCDR Data

jamessolomon
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by jamessolomon » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:42 pm

It removes the borg threat from causing anymore damage to the forums

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:35 pm

Confusedfire wrote:We should make registration similar to what we do for our wiki...Obsidian Fleet has it set up where you apply for an account via the IFS. That is what we should do, also deleting those posts before you remove the bots does nothing because they continue to attack until they are removed.
I believe that OF at least used to have their forum and IFS accounts linked because both sites shared the same database - it required some quite heavy modifications to be made to the forum to be able to accept the IFS-generated user accounts, and I believe that it at least used to compromise a fair few forum functions as well, but it's not the most clean solution, and it would also mean that any spam attacks on the IFS (which are monitored less, as most spambots who go there just create a user and don't actually apply to any sims so are completely harmless) would then also still spill over onto the forum.

What I've been doing as the posts crop up (before I activated admin authorisation for a few days) is deleting the user account and the posts in one; that alone doesn't really stop that particular bot from signing up again, but I've found it pretty much impossible to have a login form that spambots can beat and still keep any of them away through IP bans. Doing it this way through the Admin panel means as well that those bots that post multiple times can have all of their posts removed in one go.

The primary measure that we had on the forums before was a simple question-and-answer - what species was Worf, answer=Klingon. Those kind of things work well against automated bots, but what has obviously happened this time around is that bots with the ability to run a Google search or bots which have the answers fed to them by humans managed to get onto the site and get past this single question. I've replaced that question entirely and added about half a dozen others which are less likely to be as simple for a bot to find on a basic Google-search, which is the same process as we now have for our wiki (and which seems to be working very well there now; not a single spam-bot registration since that was put in place). The questions will at some point need to be recycled, to prevent the sort of answer farming that feeds some of the human-driven spambots, but it should serve us well for a while.

Return to “General Discussion”