Forced Windows 8 Upgrade

Talk about any old rubbish here - but don't spam!
FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Forced Windows 8 Upgrade

Post by FruitLoop » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:36 pm

Hey, guys.

Just got my computer back from the shop and learned that it was an update to Windows 7 where they are trying to force me to buy Windows 8. I can imagine that this would be forced on every person who has Windows 7, so watch out.

What happened was that a black screen came up with a DOS style cursor. I unplugged it last night and took it to GeekSquad today, where it worked fine. The guy told me that unplugging it for several hours after the update is best. So if that black screen hits ya, you know what to do: unplug it for several hours and cuss Microsoft.

Confusedfire
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Forced Windows 8 Upgrade

Post by Confusedfire » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Do you know what the name of this update is?
Captain Neela Izal
Commanding Officer TF37
Commanding Officer SB-812

"Spot this is down...down is good!"

- LCDR Data

Constantine
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Constantine » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Is it a free update? I can't imagine it being legal for microsoft to "force" users into buying Windows 8. Not only would it kill business as alot of users would probably go to Mac and Linux (or pirate Windows 8) but I can't remember software companies being allowed to make users buy additional software for something they already paid for.

If it's free with genuine software, then I have to give Bill his due it's a good idea to reel people in.

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by FruitLoop » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:00 pm

No, you have to buy Windows 8, and I believe it is legal. I'm considering going to Mac if I get all my programs.

Constantine
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Constantine » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:10 pm

I would look into it, you paid for Windows 7 and I doubt there is ANYWHERE in the Terms of Usage giving Microsoft the right to terminate that use at their whim simply to make you upgrade. You bought windows 7 you didn't lease it.

Google hasn't turned anything up yet but ill keep looking.

Constantine
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Constantine » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:21 pm

Something is beginning to seem very suspicious about what these people are telling you.

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-wi ... lax-200517

That article is talking about worry retailers will be forced to switch over to Windows 8. The article goes on to tell consumers to relax because Microsoft's Windows Lifecycle allows retailers to sell computers with the previous OS up to ONE year after the release of the new OS. In addition it also allows the retailers to sell in box versions of the previous OS for TWO years after the release of the new OS.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... /lifecycle

This is a link to the OFFICIAL windows lifecycle page in which Microsoft CLEARLY states the date for termination of both computers preloaded with windows 7 and in box version of Windows 7 are "to be determined".

Therefore I think whoever is telling you this is full of it as why would microsoft allow the sale of software that won't work? Plus again you bought Windows 7 and have been using it as per the Terms of Usage, Microsoft cannot terminate that use and force you to buy new software. I am almost certain that is VERY illegal and EXTREMELY unwise.

Best thing to do, email Microsoft's customer support from their site and get a real answer. I think someone is trying to sell you software you don't need.

Confusedfire
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Confusedfire » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:26 pm

I checked it out as well...I don't have any updates like that and I just updated my computer recently and didn't have this problem I have to agree with Vance on this one. I think they are feeding you a line of crap.
Captain Neela Izal
Commanding Officer TF37

- LCDR Data

Joe_Rhimer
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Joe_Rhimer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:34 am

I've been a corporate IT guy for going on ten years now. I know the MS agreement top to bottom and inside and out: The guys you were working with gave you a load of garbage if they said it was an MS update. It was probably just a virus, but they're not smart enough to figure it out. I'd advise finding another IT group to work with in the future :)

Confusedfire
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Confusedfire » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:10 am

After GeekSquad told me I'd have to blow 50 dollars on a recovery disk that I didn't need I would probably not recommend them to anybody and this just improves my point.
Captain Neela Izal
Commanding Officer TF37

- LCDR Data

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:24 pm

The name itself is usually a clue when it comes to computer stuff... it's not likely that a true 'geek squad' would actually name themselves 'GeekSquad'... though usually the decent guys are more difficult to find (because of the fact that in general they don't tend to name themselves like that)

Not to say there aren't exceptions to that rule, but it works more often than not :)

Return to “General Discussion”