What do you do to get yourself in the writing mood?

Talk about any old rubbish here - but don't spam!
Treymiar
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: What do you do to get yourself in the writing mood?

Post by Treymiar » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:33 pm

Discipline and habit are important.
- I carry a notepad to capture "jots". If I don't, all too often, I forget about the new ideas.

- I write a story in 'top-down' design, like writing computer programs.
Or said another way, begin with a primitive outline and begin fleshing it out.
New inspirations for me are wildly random, as in they can apply to any point in the story, beginning or end.
I just plug those jots into the correct outline location.

- Visualize, imagine the story. The outline will then come easily.

--------------
However, there is another facet to the literary gem.

My literary 'engine' is most akin to a sailing ship.
When the winds of inspiration hit, I put up the sails and harness it to the fullest!
During those times, I get more quality writing done in days than I can otherwise chip away at for weeks or even months.
I don't know how long that those winds will blow, so I devote as much time as I can to getting the ideas written down.
If you're simming and your ideas are outpacing the mission, Don't throttle back! Get those ideas archived for another day!

When the winds aren't blowing? Yep, it's the daily discipline of putting the oars out and trudging along.
Progress is slow, even painful at times.
The periods of strong wind inspiration make the 'becalmed' seasons much easier to bear.

Simm Reality: Enthusiasm Breeds Creativity!
Brainstorming ideas with other players sparks the "Hmm... now what would happen in that event or with that character?"
If you're writing as a team, avail yourself of the inspiration that others can give you.
Even if nobody really has really given you any new ideas, your brainstorming ideas might give THEM inspirations.

Last resort. If you're at a wall and staring at the screen hour after hour, day after day... work on something different.
At least for me, my subconscious is far more creative than my conscious. Problem is, I can't control what or when ideas will happen.
For me, creativity is part excitement, part mischief, part wonder, and maybe possibly, a wee bit of healthy craziness. ;)

PSF

"Sometimes, people become enemies because they don't understand each other.
Other times, they become enemies because they do."

Stern
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post by Stern » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:29 pm

I totally agree with that final sentiment, Treymiar. If I am stuck, and absolutely locked down, I'll go do something else, or write about something else. Sometimes the simple act of taking a break from a piece will unlock me, and allow me to finish it. Great advice!

Also....

Lieutenant (JG) Areinnye t'Lhaenn
Chief Intelligence Officer
Starbase Zeta

Rear Admiral Anton de Fitenzia
Director of Research and Development
Pegasus Fleet

Treymiar
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Treymiar » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:18 am

Thank you, Sir.
Feedback is much 'perciated.

Another immensely helpful tool for simming is forums just like this one.
Joint Post forums can be configured such that:

- Only logged-in members of the 'Crew Member' Group can see them.
- Everyone in the 'Crew Member' site group can be given permissions to edit any post within the JP forums.
- Everyone can see all the other JP's in-progress, get a better picture of the overall mission situation.

PSF

"Sometimes, people become enemies because they don't understand each other.
Other times, they become enemies because they do."

Stern
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post by Stern » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:36 am

I was in a fleet that had that, or even had individual sections for each sim, which allowed the crew to get together on the forums and chat, come up with ideas, or even write out of character stuff that didn't fit anywhere else on the sim itself.

Also....

Lieutenant (JG) Areinnye t'Lhaenn
Chief Intelligence Officer
Starbase Zeta

Rear Admiral Anton de Fitenzia
Director of Research and Development
Pegasus Fleet

Mouse
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Mouse » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:56 am

with the Nova based sims, Answer tags first in JP's and I write blocks of actions and then save it. Come back later and flesh out what I've written adding more details and conversations with other crew or civilians that my character would meet just walking through the ship or star base.

Forums style of sims, I use notepad and then go read all the new post from my last post, Answering tags or just continue where I left off from my last post, keeping the storyline in mind. Or just write about something mundane, even if its just puttering around in my quarters doing mundane stuff, like answering in department messages. Or do a simple inventory interacting with npc crew within the department.
Resident Mousian
Ayla Bawden = USS Dreadnought Science Officer
Samanthia Akiashiro = SB-332 Warp-12 Lounge

Return to “General Discussion”