What do you do to get yourself in the writing mood?

Talk about any old rubbish here - but don't spam!
tueborvita
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

Post by tueborvita » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:45 am

When you need to sit down and write a post or plot out story arcs, what do you do to get into the writing mood? Do you watch a movie to inspire you? Do you review your plots and reread posts? Do you put on mood music and start hitting the keys?
Image Image

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:13 am

I usually stick an episode of Trek on in the background (either DS9, TNG or Voyager, depending on which best matches what I'm trying to write, and then I picture the scene I want to write in my head as if it were a scene on a show, and then just try to describe what I see in my mind's eye on the page

Stern
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Re: What do you do to get yourself in the writing mood?

Post by Stern » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:05 pm

Lately I have been overwhelmed, but generally it is a mixture of things.

Shows are too distracting. Often, and this is especially important if I need a particular mood, I will listen to certain types of instrumental music or music with very few lyrics. I am also prone to going for long runs or walks while listening to the music, as this also kind of gets my mind rolling over ideas.

Typically I sit and just force myself to write. R.A. Salvatore was quoted as once saying that a mistake a lot of writers make is that they forget that it is their job to write; I am not saying that writing for a sim is a job, it's not. However, it is a commitment, and I think from time to time we can all be guilty of ignoring that commitment. I am trying to fix that on my own end, for example. In any case, I try to remind myself that I have to write, that I can't push it off. Once I am on a roll, usually it just flows fairly naturally anyway.

I do find a lot of joint posts in this fleet, which is hard since sometimes hours or days can go by before you tag again, and you write a few sentences and then you are done. This breaks my stride and can lead to inactivity on my part.

Also....

Lieutenant (JG) Areinnye t'Lhaenn
Chief Intelligence Officer
Starbase Zeta

Rear Admiral Anton de Fitenzia
Director of Research and Development
Pegasus Fleet

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:22 pm

I agree that watching a show is too distracting. I'll just end up watching the show instead of writing. I can't really explain what gets me in the mood to write. Sometimes I fo feel like forcing myself to focus, but other times I just get ideas and have to start writing. That kinda happened with me this past week and finishing my Dominion War article (which you should all go check out). My imagination I'd always running though, so the challenge for me I'd less thinking and more struggling to put those thoughts into words.
Fleet Admiral Emily Quinn
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Juuls
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post by Juuls » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:30 pm

Well I try not to stop. That keeps the momentum going but yes there are times that I come to a screeching halt and wonder to myself. Do I have one more post in me? If so what the heck should it be about. I try and use stuff I see, hear, read and do every day to inspire me. As silly as this sounds... I will soon be writing a post about shelling peas why? Well someone mentioned fall canning preparations and my brain went. How can use that to write a post. Sometimes I keep a journal, either typed or hand written with small ideas in it and review it. These three sentences triggered something about soap making. I will jot that in my book/journal for later. I know silly but its how I get ideas.

Other people's posts really help me as well, especially from other sims that I am not on. I read them a few times and pick an obscure thing from it and it triggers something and I write from that point forward or use that idea and twist it to work for me. I've also used a small idea and started a post with the character I think should be involved in it and saved it... it can and will sit for weeks maybe a month, maybe even shift into another mission but I will come back to it and create something from it.
Cmdr. Vivienne Juul, XO USS Viper

Stern
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post by Stern » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:33 pm

I agree with Juuls that a big part is just not stopping. If I hit a wall, sometimes I have to just force it; if I take a break I may not come back to it, which has happened. That is a terrible state to be in.

Another thing that I didn't think about before but is always critical is the character itself; I have made characters I like, love, hate, or are completely passionate about. I will abandon the characters I don't like, but even when I am struggling I will fight for the ones I love or are passionate about.

Also....

Starbase Zeta

Pegasus Fleet

tueborvita
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

Post by tueborvita » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:13 am

I like to put on my music. Some of my characters have a certain piece that makes it easy to get into that character's state of minds. I have a collection of other pieces that I keep to try and encourage a certain ambiance to write within. If music is your go to and you don't have a lot of music personally, I'd suggest Spotify. I'll even send you a track list or share out a list.

Movies an TV shows get me hyped, but I tend to get too much into the mood to borrow when watching them. To me, that's cheating, so I stick with books.
Image Image

Juuls
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post by Juuls » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:48 pm

on movies... if I use something it is from something someone said that triggers a train reaction in my brain and I twist it... I'd be really good at writing bad... twisted horror weird stuff because of it. I often have to make it normal for the sim but it works. I have a mission plot brewing in my head now for about 5 months... it started as an idea on Viper. I read something and saw something in a trek movie. Well now its growing into some twisted scheme that I may use on Viper or I may give to someone or hold it for a while longer. =) but yes... its written down, old age and all that catches up to you when your world is busy and your being pulled a billion directions. I even have a list going in my iphone that I transfer to paper.
Cmdr. Vivienne Juul, XO USS Viper

Jaydyn Reid

Post by Jaydyn Reid » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:33 pm

I usually sit down, put in my headphones, turn up my music all the way, and just type away!

Stern
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post by Stern » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:03 pm

Juuls wrote:on movies... if I use something it is from something someone said that triggers a train reaction in my brain and I twist it... I'd be really good at writing bad... twisted horror weird stuff because of it. I often have to make it normal for the sim but it works. I have a mission plot brewing in my head now for about 5 months... it started as an idea on Viper. I read something and saw something in a trek movie. Well now its growing into some twisted scheme that I may use on Viper or I may give to someone or hold it for a while longer. =) but yes... its written down, old age and all that catches up to you when your world is busy and your being pulled a billion directions. I even have a list going in my iphone that I transfer to paper.
Movies do that to me sometimes too. I'll see something in the theater or on television, and it'll spark something in me that I have to get down on paper, or that will plague me for days until I do. Moments like that are great, and show how others creativity can influence your own. I certainly don't see it as a bad thing either, it can be a really great part of the process.

Also....

Starbase Zeta

Pegasus Fleet

Return to “General Discussion”