Starfleet Marines and Fighters

Talk about any old rubbish here - but don't spam!
JasmineSomers
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Starfleet Marines and Fighters

Post by JasmineSomers » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:18 pm

On the USS Tomcat my Crew (mainly NPCs) Are all Marines, they fill bridge positions until a fleet Officer comes aboard. But then again my Ship is a Marine support ship Akira sub Class, its evac limit has been decreased to accomodate 3 Sqn of Valkyrie fighters and 125 Marine (NO Heavy weapons like a hover Tank).

Since I took command before I came to PF I simmed my Marines as 95th Rifles (Taken from the Sharpe series) and the position of Chosen Man is also used. While I call them Marines, the 125 I have are essentially Spec Ops Unit, who only do full frontal combat if needed otherwise its Special forces missions, or assisting ship Security.

If the fleet decided to begin to use the term MACO I would not be against it as my Marines are essentially MACOs in all but name (i.e. Marines). AS for my opinion on this, Marines sounds more Dynamic than MACO methinks, this might be why!

I think the trend came about as simmers wanted an offensive force to use, now the smallest ship to carry fighters that I am aware of is the Akira Class.
CHARACTERS

-----------------------------------------
"Today is a Good Day to die" Klingon saying
-----------------------------------------

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Re: Starfleet Marines and Fighters

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:33 am

I've been meaning to get back into this one but have been pretty sidetracked lately. Anyway, I think it depends a lot on the players on how they portray the different offices. I had a marine that was originally envisioned as a special forces operative, but as her career went on, she became more of a general marine commander. My intelligence officer, who is now the security chief on her sim in another fleet, was very much an action capable operative, though she did spend a lot of time reading and writing reports, doing research, and determining who had need-to-know on specific information. She couldn't be undercover all of the time, but she was certainly capable of it.

I am a little curious on what you mean as the distinction between Naval Intelligence and CIA or FBI. Are you talking field versus desk intelligence gathering, or something else?
Fleet Admiral Emily Quinn
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Return to “General Discussion”