New Star Trek Series?

Talk about any old rubbish here - but don't spam!
Confusedfire
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

New Star Trek Series?

Post by Confusedfire » Fri May 01, 2015 1:02 pm

I've been hearing a lot of rumors lately about the potential for a new Star Trek series casting many of the former cast from previous series'. I don't know if any of you have seen these reports, but I know they have been working towards a very gritty Star Trek series where the premise is set sometime in the future and Starfleet is facing a crisis where the dilithium is running out.

I just wanted your thoughts on this?
Captain Neela Izal
Commanding Officer TF37
Commanding Officer SB-812

"Spot this is down...down is good!"

- LCDR Data

CameronM
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Re: New Star Trek Series?

Post by CameronM » Fri May 01, 2015 1:50 pm

Is that the one that Bryan Synger is writing? If so...

I like some of its ideas. The evolved Klingons sound awesome to me. Because their current societal model isn't sustainable. But one where a teacher is as honorable as a warrioi? That is very much so.

I dislike the whole idea of the Ferengi rising up as the rival of the Federation because people simply didn't like the Federation way of life. Its essentially saying you don't like life in the UN so you move to North Korea. Especially in that the Federation is in decline because Humanity got complacent. Which is pretttttttty bad in my eyes. Also the fact that Vulcan and other leave the Fed, very meh to me.

Not to mention the shoe horning the name Kirk in the main character and having the Enterprise name being dusted off centuries later.

Mike
Admin
Admin

Post by Mike » Fri May 01, 2015 3:50 pm

So this isn't that Renegades pilot thing they're trying to make, right? I saw that going around where loads of Star Trek alums are trying to bring it back with some kind of pirate based thing. It looks alright but- a bit like Gods and Men- it seems a little bit sad (although who am I to talk?).

I did see the Bryan Singer rumours but I thought the project had been abandoned since they gave the movie to JJ Abrams? Unless they're picking it up again for the anniversary. There's this story from yesterday: Jonathan Frakes Addresses Star Trek Rumours which doesn't seem to offer much hope.

I can see the logic behind just keeping it on the big screen for now. I think a new Star Trek series would probably have to be geared more to people who were into the TV shows where as the movies are pitched at a more 'action-hungry' Hollywood audience. It might be a bit jarring to have two properties pitched at such different demographics, at least from a marketing point of view.

I saw a big Reddit thread about ideas to bring Star Trek back to TV and- unsurprisingly- it was full of absolute crap but one idea that I really thought was awesome was the idea of doing Star Trek like an anthology series similar to how they're doing True Detective. You'd get a 10-episode story told looking at some aspect of the universe be it a ship or a political thing. I think that'd be amazing.
ImageImageImageImage

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Sun May 03, 2015 8:11 pm

I know there's been a campaign that Doug Drexler has been involved in to try and bring Enterprise back to finish off its final three series that it should have got before it was cancelled (it's been going for a while; I think the aim with it is to have it 'air' on something like Netflix since it'd probably easier to get the internet streaming companies to fund it than it would be to get the TV networks to - and there'd probably be less interference). If that actually gets through production, it might be a good tester to see if the world is ready for Trek to return to TV, and finishing off an existing series could then pave the way for a new concept later.

Return to “General Discussion”