Colonizing Idea

Talk about any old rubbish here - but don't spam!
Rhodes
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Colonizing Idea

Post by Rhodes » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:43 pm

I've been watching Enterprise and have enjoyed the series so far. I watched an episode about a group of colonists on a planet they named Terra Nova. I was curious and wondered if anyone would be interested in actually Role playing the colony itself, dealing with social/economic/survival issues.

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Re: Colonizing Idea

Post by Alex » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:33 pm

I always enjoyed Enterprise, especially the last season. I've always felt that it was greatly underappreciated as a series.

I really like the idea of exploring an early Earth colony, and what life would have been like for those early pioneers. I'm just about at my limit right now when it comes to sims, but I'm sure we can't be the only two people in the fleet interested in such a sim.
Fleet Admiral Emily Quinn
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Rhodes
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by Rhodes » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:13 pm

I think it would be interesting and I believe there is alot of story that could be written about it.

Treymiar
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Treymiar » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:32 pm

Welcome back, Rhodes.

Lots of potential for colonies, beginning with origins:

- Crashed starship which disappeared during a mission?
- Intentional Federation supported colony?
- Rebellious faction who can't tolerate Fed rules? (Just don't settle in Romulan DMZ with poison acid apples.)

- Peacekeeping force established to mediate two planets who can't play nicely together.
- Starship which returned century(s) later. Crew stays together to rebuild life.
- Liberated Borg. Borgiphobes don't trust or welcome cyber-victims home, so they band together.

- Penal colony. Could be fun. Let's take over.
- Isolated by briar patch. We be on our own.
- Black marketeers. Kind of a Dukes of Hazard in Space. No?... not even Daisy?? hmmm.

... yeah, I have a few more ideas, but they're really weird. I'll stop there.

{edit} Actually, in all seriousness, I believe that Joss Whedon really blew it.
He should have reinvented the immensely successful Gunsmoke series in space.
Malcom becomes sheriff on an outer colony planet.

Marshall Dillon/Malcom
Festus/Jayne
Doc/Simon
Miss Kitty/Inara
School marm/Kaylee...
yeah... tons of potential if he hadn't KILLED off his characters like he does.

"Sometimes, people become enemies because they don't understand each other.
Other times, they become enemies because they do."

Treymiar
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Treymiar » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:20 pm

Okay. Maybe one or two more weird ones.

- The colony is a Borg cube. Yep.
The cube flew through heretofore unexplored space auroras. The alien energy fields have limited the cyber-gestalt control over people's minds. Yes, you still hear the commands of the collective, but a part of people's minds are now able to once again think for themselves. You are now living in a totalitarian Dystopia. How will you survive? Every non-Borg will shoot you on sight. You can't leave the zone without once again losing your self identity. Anarchy prevails. Different species want to take different courses of action. A few Borg (secret) loyalists want the cube to reunite once again with the collective. If you're short on mission ideas, watch the old cult classic McGoohan TV series "The Prisoner".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prisoner

- More Traditional Dystopia.
Your starship has been captured by world of Cylons, Maria-Plex, Colossus the Forbin Project, We, Landru's little brother, whatever.
You are now slaves. You are now organic experiments. After you have been fully analyzed, your lifeless supra-genius supercomputer master will subdue Alpha Quadrant organics. It might even be for your own good, you warring, irrational organics!

"Sometimes, people become enemies because they don't understand each other.
Other times, they become enemies because they do."

Rhodes
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by Rhodes » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:38 pm

Wow Those are some pretty cool ideas Treymiar, Its funny that you reference Firefly, I am currently watching it and Enterprise, I keep switching between the two.

Gunnar
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by Gunnar » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:47 am

I keep watching Hawaii 5-0 and I think something like this could be amusing? in a trek type era.

But I could change my USS Argo simm into a colony based simm if people would have interest in doing such a thing.

Also I like the idea of a penal colony lol. Perhaps a squad of marines set up nearby because the rulers of the planet called for help as their people became more and more rebellious?.

But as I said I would be willing to run a Colony type simm if there was enough interest.

Could use the planet the Argo found as a place for the simm to take place. It has a mystery going on it and can easily be changed from a ship to a colony quite easily where the simm is at currently.

Return to “General Discussion”