Potential Colony for Pegasus Fleet, Thoughts?

Talk about any old rubbish here - but don't spam!
Gunnar
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Potential Colony for Pegasus Fleet, Thoughts?

Post by Gunnar » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:23 pm

Ok so Rhodes brought up the colony idea for the fleet and Im willing to change my sim around to be a colony type simm. Which would have several benefits compared to a Starbase or a starship.

So I am going to propose if there is enough interest, that I revamp my simm into a Colony type simm. Using this simm as sorta a staging area or a distant outpost or something used for resupply and such. With the isolation option, it allows the players to have more free space to do pretty much anything within reason.

From a Starfleet point of View it would permit a military force to be near some of the outer solar system where law isnt really seen much of. You got your pirates, Orion syndicates, then you have your innocent civilians pushing the boundaries of colonization. Then you have your scientists wanting to study some pointless star cluster or something, then you have your combat stuff and humanitarian aid missions as well.

This station would prob be heavy science and Engineering at first. But would also have your two forms of security. You will have your marines who will go OUT THERE! in space to protect people from the dangerous of space travel and we would have a NPC ship or two as garrison vessels for this purpose so Starfleet and Marine alike would be able to go out and do things. But majorly it will be planetary missions at first.

Then you have your standard Starfleet security for ship and Colony Security.

I suggest I could combine both Marine pilots and Starfleet pilots into one department, this way there is no confusion and the Pilots would fly everything on the base or pilot ground vehicles.

I know most vehicles can fly and we only seen the ARGO land vehicle but I am a huge believer that some people may want to fly while others may just want to take a leisure drive lol. I will leave out anything REALLY! Dangerous :D (Goes watches Avatar and Terra Nova all over again) :D.

Operations would most likely be combined into Engineering or Engineering combined into Operations, not sure yet on this one. But I am thinking of having an SCE department.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Concerns? Questions?.

Ro' Matlh
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Re: Potential Colony for Pegasus Fleet, Thoughts?

Post by Ro' Matlh » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:17 am

I have been involved in a couple of Colony SIMMs and even run one myself. One of the keys to success seems to be if you are able to establish a consistent and strong "Feel" for your world. No good spending time developing snow habitats if someone else is posting about how sunny the world is. Or one of you talking about how hard it is to get the right tech on this Agri-world while another is carrying pocket replicators.

I realize in reality a world is likely to have a variety of different environments and even cultural norms, this is not what we see in SF. Furthermore, a colony is likely to have all built close to each other for support reasons so, initially at least, there would be a homogeneous experience of planet life.

So what is your colony world like? Is it a high tech, mountain covered industrial world? A plant dominated jungle attractive to botanists? A sea world? Or Desert? Or Ice? Does it have extreme or mild weather? What is the native Flora/Fauna like? How big/old/established is the colony? Have there been major historical events that have shaped how it has developed? What sort of contact does it have to the outside galaxy; Well established trade routes, or much more laissez-faire? What about the political system; feudal, theocratic, separatist, dictatorship? What seasonal changes are there?

In many ways a colony is far more complex than a station. The entire environment on a station is controlled and selected by the manufacturer. On a planet you can't even decide how long the day is.

Lots to think about, but can be VERY rewarding.

Gunnar
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Re: Potential Colony for Pegasus Fleet, Thoughts?

Post by Gunnar » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:23 pm

Thank you for the response Ro, I know all of that, as I learned the hard way :(. I began a successful colony simm, started out with a Atlas A type bunker, next thing I know people are writing city ruins everywhere, underground city to house millions, and such. Now that was a headache :). I will have to consider this advice, as it all depends on what PF admiralty would and would not allow.

Return to “General Discussion”