Thanksgiving

Talk about any old rubbish here - but don't spam!
Bobby
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Thanksgiving

Post by Bobby » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:19 pm

Hi everyone,

I need some help. I am British and we have been exposed to a lot of the American traditions via media such as films etc. I am planning on starting to celebrate Thanksgiving here with my close friends and family with no religious link to it, which I understand is the history of the holiday. How does Thanksgiving usually start, is there for a few days of it? I know this year it falls on November 24th, but is there a set amount of time that you guys have to arrange off work to celebrate it and come together?

Also, what do you put on the table besides a turkey? What do you put with the turkey?

And any other information you can share will be great.

Thanks,

Bobby

Hawkins
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Re: Thanksgiving

Post by Hawkins » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:34 pm

Thanksgiving isn't a religious holiday. Its just to celebrate the major fest of the Pilgrams and the Indians after their first hard winter. The Indians were invited by the pilgrams as a thanks for all their help. They lasted a couple days of festing and fellowship. I may have gotten some of the details off but now a days, Thanksgiving is basically a day of giving Thanks, a way of remembering all of the things and people we thankful for. Its just one day, and then the next day is Black Friday. I may have to look up the details... but easier to just Google it lol. Its not a holiday but most people take it off or aren't in school from it.

DINNER!!!!

Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed potatoes and Gravy
Cranberry (meh)
Corn Casserole
Rolls
Green Bean Casserole
Pumpkin Pie

And whatever else you all want... We are having deer...

Paul

aka

Captain David Hawkins
Commanding Officer
U.S.S. Gladiator-A

http://www.uss-gladiator.pegasusfleet.n ... main/index

Stannes
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post by Stannes » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:29 am

There are a lot of options. Turkey can be subbed out for ham or some people do pig roasts (more historically accurate). Corn based dishes like indian pudding and corn pudding or beans were served traditionally. Modern dishes tend towards green bean casserole, cranberry sauce, candied yams or sweet potato mash with roasted marshmallows. There's also rolls, a pie or two. Preparation starts ealy that morning or the night before and the dinner is typically served early (5 or 6pm) to allow time to digest. The meal's importance is preempted by the gathering of the family and sharing what they are thankful for as individuals, and often football. Some people also fish the early day away, then go home for dinner later. If you need any recipes, let me know.
ImageImage

Bobby
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by Bobby » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:02 pm

Candied Yams? Is that sweet potato mash with marshmallows or is that another dish?

And what type of rolls? Bread rolls? What do they have in them?

I'd like recipes for all of it? the corn dishes, the green bean casserole and the sweet potato mash?

Thank you everyone!

Bobby

Stannes
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post by Stannes » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:34 pm

Here's some options. I realized that you might not want gluten-free everything or totally from scratch. Just about any kind of bread rolls work. Lots of options. Don;t worry about doing everything, just pick and choose.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/thanksgiving.html

https://www.pinterest.com/explore/thanksgiving/
ImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”