New Task Force Region

Talk about any old rubbish here - but don't spam!

What Region Should TF88 Reside In

Poll ended at Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:33 am

The Gamma Quadrant
10%
The Borderlands
48%
Sector 001 (Sol System)
43%

Total votes: 21

NoxRaven
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Re: New Task Force Region

Post by NoxRaven » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:35 am

In my honest opinion, I would have to say the gamma quadrant. It is the most wide open for possibilities from my viewpoint. The Borderlands while somewhat open is still a bit confining.

As for Sector 001 to look at the pros and cons. Ok, sure you could do some things that aren't tactical. However, that could be done in any taskforce. It all depends on the CO of said sim to do so. But in that particular sector from what I see it would be really hard to pull off any sort of "impactive" storyline as it is basically the heart of the Federation. I would just hate for it to wither simply because of the constrictive nature of being in that particular sector.
Cmdr Genix Tolos
TFCO TF88
Commanding Officer, USS Paladin

LtCmdr Syrric
XO, USS Carpathia

Aaron
Chief of Public Relations

Post by Aaron » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:58 pm

Really surprised with how this vote is starting out. While I have seen some give some good ideas for simms in this sector 001 and they sound good, but I also agree with what was just stated how do you run a fun, impactful, inclusive Task Force cannon story? You are really restricted in what you can do unless you have some odd Civil War in the heart of the Federation.
Rear Admiral Jesse James
Pegasus Fleet

Lt.CMdr Craig Travis
Chief of Base Security
SB 332
TF11

Emily
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post by Emily » Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:28 pm

There may not be a lot that you can do in Sector 001 in terms of the traditional conflict that everyone knows and seems to love, but there is more to a story than that. Without any signs of TV shows coming out in the time we write in, Sector 001 could give someone the perfect opportunity to expand upon pre-established relationships and ideas. You don't need to have a war to make a good story!

The Task Force would lack the exploitative nature that our other Task Forces provide, but that's kind of the beauty of it too. It allows more focus in the heart of the Federation, which is arguably where some of the most impactive events happen to the Federation.

Just playing the devil's advocate here. :)

Joe_Rhimer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Joe_Rhimer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:31 am

As a representative of the Devil, I can confirm he's been well advocated here. ;)

Jack Mantell
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by Jack Mantell » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:49 am

I'd agree that traditional sims would be more difficult in Sector 001. But I could see a political sim, Starfleet Core of Engineers, border patrol, or other sim like that. Or basically, the "we're the closest ship in the sector so Starfleet assigned us" sim.

NoxRaven
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by NoxRaven » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:27 am

True and I get that nor am I saying anything bad on that. My concern is it takes a particular type of player that is interested in playing that style day in and day out. Because there is little change that can be done from that premise considering the sector we are referring to. My concern is that there won't be enough players of that type of mindset to make it viable and to keep it from withering away into nothing.
Cmdr Genix Tolos
TFCO TF88
Commanding Officer, USS Paladin

LtCmdr Syrric
XO, USS Carpathia

Jack Mantell
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by Jack Mantell » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:23 am

I'd suggest that would be the case for any new region for a Task Force created in this manner. PF is not grouping already existing ships in the region, it's asking new simm COs to design a game for that region. Whether it was the Gamma Quadrant, Borderlands or Sector 001, it's going to be possible to encounter slow growth and problems specifically because the region may not generate the appropriate interest. Who knows? It may surprise us all.

Emily
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Post by Emily » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:25 pm

Another thing to consider is that simulations would not be restricted to this one area of space (no matter what Task Force it is). The Task Forces are an OOC structure first. They're designed to allow COs to have someone to work closely with throughout the course of their command, and if they happen to be writing in the AoO of the Task Force then great! Ultimately the area where a simulation writes in is really at the discretion of the Commanding Officer. The story that the TFCO would develop would be like any other Task Force: sim COs can choose whether or not they want to participate.

Joe_Rhimer

Post by Joe_Rhimer » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:59 pm

Just for clarification's sake: We would be asking three existing COs to move over to the new TF, but it'd be there call to do so. And like Emily said, you're not restricted to the OA for the TF you're in. There's also nothing preventing SF Command from sending you to another nearby system or area on assignment.

Return to “General Discussion”