A Word with Drew.

Talk about any old rubbish here - but don't spam!
Kevin, Lord Kilbane
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

A Word with Drew.

Post by Kevin, Lord Kilbane » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:55 am

Hello everyone,

Our Admiralty have kindly granted me permission to open up an interview section here on our forum where we can get to meet and read more about characters within Pegasus Fleet. It won't be just about the Admiralty, it'll be about characters from all ranks and positions and from all game genres right across the simming spectrum here.

If you like what you read, and if you would like to become involved as an interviewee, please send me a PM and I'll happily send you the interview questions.

Today we're delighted to have one of our Admiralty, Rear Admiral Allan Wells, Chief of Fleet Operations, as our interviewee:

What's your RL first name?: Aaron (Most people call me A-A-Ron thanks to the Key & Peele sketch lol)

How did you become involved in Star Trek simming/writing?: My simming experience stared back in the late 90s (96-97) in AOL chat rooms. I ran a Star Wars group forever, then finally moved over to the USS Sentinel on StarTrekpbem.net. I've been in just about every fleet and every position out there since then. It's been a blast.

How did you become involved in Pegasus Fleet?: I was the CO of the Nicholson here in PF previously, and got involved with some of the larger fleet business. Took a hiatus from simming (though I think I called it retiring at the time lol) and came back going on 2 years ago now. PF always felt like home.

Who is/are your main character(s) in Pegasus Fleet?: I'm RAdm Allan Wells (Chief of Fleet Operations), and Captain Joe Rhimer of the USS Antares. I'm also the XO on the Langport, the Chief of Operations/XO on SB332, and Allan Wells (no relation) on Stargate Cataclysm.

What do you believe sets Pegasus Fleet apart from other Star Trek RPG fleets?: I think we've got an amazing sense of community and have one of the most transparent and approachable admiralties that I think I've ever had the privilege of working with. We strive to not micro manage anymore than is necessary to keep the fleet cohesive, so you've got a lot of freedom here to CO, and if we're a bit too restrictive still, D74 is available.

If you could create a persona for a ST series, which series would it be, where would your persona be placed (Science, Engineering, Security etc) and what name would you give them?: Joe Rhimer, Center Chair, Deep Space 9. He'd have his own ship not attached to the station, though :)

What is it about Star Trek that you like?: The science, adventure, and exploration. I love the characters as well. After several seasons of watching them grow and develop friendships and relationships, they almost felt like family.

What is it about Star Trek that you don't like?: The universe was just a little bit too clean. I think that some added grit and grime would have made it stand out even more, though it does appear that the newest round of writers understand this  bit better :)

If you could become a script writer, what thing(s) would you bring about to enhance the image of Star Trek?: I think I'd stretch out into the galaxy more. There are so many other races and places that have been mentioned, it'd be exciting to explore some of those ideas and create a story around them.

Which Star Trek series character(s) do you most associate with and why?: Geordi. I love learning new things, and I'm always excited to help and get involved, even in critical situations.

Is there a piece of insight that you'd like to pass onto the current script writers/directors of the new Star Trek films?: It's about the crew. The Captain isn't the star, he's the catalyst that pushes the crew forward!

If you could meet any Star Trek actor/actress, who would it be?: Leonard Nimoy.

If you could ask them just one question, what would that question be?: What was it like, creating Spock?

Would you consider writing fan fiction outside of Star Trek, or indeed, do you, if so, where?: Oh, I write tons! I don't do anything in any other fleets, really. It's all between me and my wife, and occasionally with one or two close friends. No real leader, all just running the game. It's fun :)

Is there anything else you'd like to add?: Come say hi! I think most people know this, but I'm not scary lol. I, and the rest of the admiralty, am here to help you guys have an enjoyable time. Say hi, trade some Treknobabble, be silly. We're a community here most of all, and it's my favourite part of this fleet!

My thanks to Rear Admiral Wells for taking the time to be interviewed, that was great!
Last edited by Joe_Rhimer on Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making post sticky
Commander Finchley Kerr
Commanding Officer
USS Lantau
Task Group 1
Task Force 37
Pegasus Fleet

Kevin, Lord Kilbane
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Re: A Word with Drew.

Post by Kevin, Lord Kilbane » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:09 pm

Today I'm delighted to announce that we have our next interviewee, Lieutenant Commander Cor Cordale, Chief Engineer and 2nd Officer of the USS Victory. My thanks go to Commander Cordale for agreeing to be interviewed.

What's your RL first name?:

Robert

How did you become involved in Star Trek simming/writing?:

I was conscripted by some friends of mine, whom I still write with to this very day.

How did you become involved in Pegasus Fleet?:

Those same friends that got me involved mentioned it, and I joined up with them.

Who is/are your main character(s) in Pegasus Fleet?:

My main character is Cor Cordale, a Thux with a chip on his shoulder and a serious case of survivor's guilt.

What do you believe sets Pegasus Fleet apart from other Star Trek RPG fleets?:

It's the availability and openness of the staff. Rather then coming across as some unapproachable lords up on the mountain, the staff of Pegasus Fleet project a feeling of welcome. You can come to them with just about any problem.

If you could create a persona for a ST series, which series would it be, where would your persona be placed (Science, Engineering, Security etc) and what name would you give them?:

It'd have to be Deep Space Nine, as that was my favorite series. As for department, I've always had an affinity for Engineering with Science as a runner up. As for names, I'm terrible with names, so I'd wind up calling them 'Bob' because their actual name wouldn't properly translate.

What is it about Star Trek that you like?:

The concept of coming together. That the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. That the answer is never just as simple as "Send in the right guy for the job" but it's a team effort.

What is it about Star Trek that you don't like?:

The lack of consistency or continuity. Many things seem arbitrary from episode to episode. A little grounding would make the series so much more believable.

If you could become a script writer, what thing(s) would you bring about to enhance the image of Star Trek?:

As I just said, a little grounding. Something of a baseline or at least some consistency. Dipping your toe into the pool of Science Fact can make your Science Fiction all the more magical.

Which Star Trek series character(s) do you most associate with and why?:

I love Quark. The universe is falling apart around him, and he's still looking to make a quick buck. He never abandoned his core character concept, and some of the best lines and best writing were delivered by him.

Is there a piece of insight that you'd like to pass onto the current script writers/directors of the new Star Trek films?:

The cosmos is vast and amazing. Take us to new places. Don't be afriad to experiment, and try something new.

If you could meet any Star Trek actor/actress, who would it be?:

I'd like to meet William Shatner, just to thank him for Kirk. Having met Patrick Stewart and John De Lancie, he's really the next in line.

If you could ask them just one question, what would that question be?:

I'd ask William Shatner if he had any idea, going into that interview, what he was getting into.

Would you consider writing fan fiction outside of Star Trek, or indeed, do you, if so, where?:

I've often considered it for various genres and licenses. Once or twice, though, the concept I wanted to write was already written by someone else.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?:

Nothing that immediately springs to mind. :)
Commander Finchley Kerr
Commanding Officer
USS Lantau
Task Group 1
Task Force 37
Pegasus Fleet

Kevin, Lord Kilbane
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by Kevin, Lord Kilbane » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:45 pm

Today I'm delighted to announce that we have another member of the USS Victory who's agreed to be interviewed, none other than her CO, Captain Elijah Michaels! Our thanks go to Capt Michaels for taking the time to be a great sport and give us his insights :)

What's your RL first name?: Joshua

How did you become involved in Star Trek simming/writing?: On a whim actually I was googling Star Trek related stuff and came across a roleplay site roughly 8 years ago.

How did you become involved in Pegasus Fleet?: I started off a long time ago in the early days as a Marine Staff Sergeant when looking through advertisements and I joined up before taking a hiatus and rejoining

Who is/are your main character(s) in Pegasus Fleet?: Elijah Michaels who is Captain of the Victory and Solan Jekkar of the Tomcat, though I recently joined Antares as Yuri Koloff and Highlander as Kevin Barnaby

What do you believe sets Pegasus Fleet apart from other Star Trek RPG fleets?: For me I like the sense of comaraderie and the the banter that you don't find in a lot of other fleets PR groups. It doesn't matter if you are a member of the Admiralty or just a person who loves writing, here you see and meet all kinds of people with a similar passion.

If you could create a persona for a ST series, which series would it be, where would your persona be placed (Science, Engineering, Security etc) and what name would you give them?: For me it would have to be a Security Officer in
Maybe DS9 or TNG, they were the shows I started watching that got me interested. And I'd call the Joshua Michaels to add my own personal touch to the character.

What is it about Star Trek that you like?: I just love the story telling and the characters, the issues that they face on a weekly basis make you really think. The way that as soon as the credits roll you are instantly brought in for an adventure that makes you feel as though you are part of the Crew! But more that they have characters you can relate to and sympathise with.

What is it about Star Trek that you don't like?: For me the biggest gripe I had with Star Trek was the Klingons and the Ridges! It was a minor blot on the whole trek canon and a little confusing of you watch Star Trek on no particular order.

If you could become a script writer, what thing(s) would you bring about to enhance the image of Star Trek?: I'd have to look at what kind of issues are being talked about on social media and see how they could be weaved into a plausible story. Issues that get people talking and stick in the mind whilst not being too far from the ideals of star trek.

Which Star Trek series character(s) do you most associate with and why?: I always felt a connection to Captain Picard from The Next Generation I liked the way in which he brought gravitas to the role and could adapt. He was the calming voice of reason and yet he could be the tactician and the caring guy. I always felt more comfortable being a Picard than a Kirk or a Janeway.

Is there a piece of insight that you'd like to pass onto the current script writers/directors of the new Star Trek films?: Yes I'd have to say be original! Whilst I liked the recent Star Trek films I felt that there was so much more we could have seen from the series, what happened to our favorite characters? What's the Galaxy looking like following the end of Star Trek Nemesis?

If you could meet any Star Trek actor/actress, who would it be?: Oh it totally has to be Patrick Stewart, as a fellow English Man and one of my personal favorite actors it would be an absolute blast.

If you could ask them just one question, what would that question be?: I'd have to ask them how much has Star Trek changed their life in the long run?

Would you consider writing fan fiction outside of Star Trek, or indeed, do you, if so, where?: I'd love to try something totally original and unique that's not been tried before. Something that grabs people and FETs them talking.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?: No, other than thank you for this opportunity it's been a heck of a lot of fun to try.
Commander Finchley Kerr
Commanding Officer
USS Lantau
Task Group 1
Task Force 37
Pegasus Fleet

Kevin, Lord Kilbane
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by Kevin, Lord Kilbane » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:08 pm

For our next interviewee, we're privileged to have with us Rear Admiral Jesse James who is Pegasus Fleet's Chief of Public Relations. Thank you for taking the time to be with us Admiral! :)

What's your  RL first name?: Aaron #2

How did you become involved in Star Trek simming/writing?: Many many years ago I used to do something called E-wrestling and I was getting tired of it so I looked for a new place to write and I got involved in a different fleet.

How did you become involved in Pegasus Fleet?:  I had taken a personal hiatus from the internet in general and when I came back I looked into getting back into writing.  I went back to my first fleet and didn't recognize many people.  So I searched for some of those friends and found Emily who use to be Chief of Public Relations was here so I stopped by the IRC room and met some really cool people.

Who is/are your main character(s) in Pegasus Fleet?: now it is Rear Admiral Jesse James; Chief of Public Relations

What do you believe sets Pegasus Fleet apart from other Star Trek RPG fleets?: The family atmosphere and while we don't always see eye to eye we really try and help each other have an enjoyable experience.

If you could create a persona for a ST series, which series would it be, where would your persona be placed (Science, Engineering, Security etc) and what name would you give them?: His name would be Charles Stephens Jr. on DS9 and he would be a Marine.  I have always loved sims that include Marines and I would love to see them in action doing ground invasions during the war.

What is it about Star Trek that you like?: I guess the hope.  The hope that we can come together and have a bigger purpose.

What is it about Star Trek that you don't like?:  I guess the hope.  It doesn't seem grounded enough.  I believe our future looks more Star Wars than Star Trek.

If you could become a script writer, what thing(s) would you bring about to enhance the image of Star Trek?: Less about the next big bad species and more about the internal strife within the Federation.  Make it more grounded

Which Star Trek series character(s) do you most associate with and why?:  Probably Riker.  He is selfless to help his Captain and ship.  He has honor, duty, and leadership.

Would you consider writing fan fiction outside of Star Trek, or indeed, do you, if so, where?: I write on Stargate Cataclysm and write on a Firefly Indy sim.

Is there a piece of insight that you'd like to pass onto the current script writers/directors of the new Star Trek films?:  Just look at the real struggle of putting a hundred some people in a flying sardine can.

If you could meet any Star Trek actor/actress, who would it be?: Micheal Dorn

If you could ask them one question, what would that question be?: Did he have any clue that he was going to play a species that was the most hated species in Cannon and turn his character into one of the most loved by many.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?:  I just think from a Public Relations standpoint forum threads like this is a great to show just how open, human, and real people in the fleet are.  If someone who is looking for a place to write stumbles in here they get a chance to see we are more than just a computer profile.
Commander Finchley Kerr
Commanding Officer
USS Lantau
Task Group 1
Task Force 37
Pegasus Fleet

Kevin, Lord Kilbane
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by Kevin, Lord Kilbane » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:44 am

For our next interview, we're grateful to have none other than Chief Counsellor on the USS Gladiator-A, Lt/Commander Elizabeth 'Lizzy' Caldera, our thanks for agreeing to take part Commander!

What's your RL first name?: Sara, but my nickname is NessieJ.

How did you become involved in Star Trek simming/writing?: Well, I started out doing D&D when I was 6 (yeah, kinda young and probably not the best thing). I loved writing and  had always been into Star Trek & sci-fi. Then when I was in back in university ages ago around 1995, I was exploring through a ListServ mailing system and found a Star Trek PBEM. I was hooked after that and eventually started doing Yahoo group ones then eventually Nova. 

How did you become involved in Pegasus Fleet?: I have been a member of the USS Gladiator sim for 2 Years, 11 Months, 1 Week, 4 Days, 18 Hours ago playing Lieutenant Commander Elizabeth 'Lizzy' Caldera, and when the sim moved to Pegasus Fleet, I came along too.

Who is/are your main character(s) in Pegasus Fleet?: Lieutenant Commander Elizabeth 'Lizzy' Caldera, the ever-quirky half-Betazoid Chief Counsellor of the USS Gladiator, Stephanas Herbevi of Star Wars Rogue Moon and Lt Riley Stewart of USS Makalu. I also played Major Charlotte 'Char' Rutland, CMO on the BSG Solaria before it closed due to CO rl issues (was a nice CO).  Working on another app with an idea but not ready yet & I like to be quiet.

What do you believe sets Pegasus Fleet apart from other Star Trek RPG fleets?: Everyone seems very friendly and inviting. And the community spirit too.

If you could create a persona for a ST series, which series would it be, where would your persona be placed (Science, Engineering, Security etc) and what name would you give them?: An unusual helmswoman in Enterprise or the early days of TOS. maybe something exotic like an Orion joining up to fight stereotypes.. Jaynnos something.. probably should look at that as a possible character ;-)

What is it about Star Trek that you like?: technobabble.. also, the diversity is a nice thing - I'm actually a lesbian, and Star Trek was one thing that showed me it was okay to be quirky & different. Oh and Tribbles. And I know that it gets ratbagged a lot, but I really loved Enterprise, because it was exploring the early days of the Federation and I've always had a thing for the wild frontiers.. I'm pretty much a wanderer and have travelled a lot to explore, so always into doing exploring.

What is it about Star Trek that you don't like?: Star Trek 5.. I'm Catholic and well, that soo grated with me.. 

If you could become a script writer, what thing(s) would you bring about to enhance the image of Star Trek?: More cowbells. Sorry, I do that sort of thing.. Hmm. 

Which Star Trek series character(s) do you most associate with and why?: T'Pol because she was the odd one out in a very mixed group and still could hold her own as a woman. also Jadzia, because she didn't really hold back and she was smart.

Is there a piece of insight that you'd like to pass onto the current script writers/directors of the new Star Trek films?: Fire JJ Abrams ;-)

If you could meet any Star Trek actor/actress, who would it be?: Jolene Blalock. I've met quite a few in the past, even though I live in Australia (have flown overseas to see people).

If you could ask them just one question, what would that question be?: What was it like playing T'Pol and what her views were on some ideas that had been floated about maybe T'Pol being found to be half Romulan if they had continued Enterprise.

Would you consider writing fan fiction outside of Star Trek, or indeed, do you, if so, where?: 

Oh yes, definitly. I've been doing a fair few random ones on Jcink over the past few years, ranging from horror to D&D to Star Wars to small town to supernatural.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?: It is possible to work out estimated the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow, as long as you take into consideration whether it is an African and European swallow species that you are talking about and take in factors like body mass, temperature and the strouhal number in cruising flight.

And skunks are cool. 
Commander Finchley Kerr
Commanding Officer
USS Lantau
Task Group 1
Task Force 37
Pegasus Fleet

Kevin, Lord Kilbane
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by Kevin, Lord Kilbane » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:33 pm

For our next interview, we're delighted to have with us Major Bobbi Jo Wichdt of Stargate Cataclysm. Thank you so much for taking the time to be with us Major.

What's your RL first name?: Ka’thryn, though I prefer Kitty

How did you become involved in Star Trek simming/writing?: I was very ill while pregnant with my first child and was supposed to be bed bound for months, so I looked for something to do online. I stumbled across a very early OF at that point and just sort of bounced around Star Trek sims for the last twenty-one years since.

How did you become involved in Pegasus Fleet?: This time (this is my second time in PF), I transferred a sim called the USS Kingdom over to run a Abramsverse sim in the fleet.

Who is/are your main character(s) in Pegasus Fleet?: Major Bobbi Jo Wichdt on Stargate Cataclysm, Commander Soren Aalto on the USS Antares, Commander Ileana Cortez on the USS Icarus, LTJG Nicolette De La Croix on the USS Paladin

What do you believe sets Pegasus Fleet apart from other Star Trek RPG fleets?: I truly believe that PF is more of community than a fleet. Rather than putting rank and numbers first, they take a more personal stance with players and COs to actively better the sims and relations between the players.

If you could create a persona for a ST series, which series would it be, where would your persona be placed (Science, Engineering, Security etc) and what name would you give them?: This is a toughie. I think I’d actually create a counselor from the TNG era- not a popular choice, but hear me out. The TNG era continued on with plumbing the depths of the human condition in their storylines using aliens and incidents as parables. The perfect narrator would be a counselor, who would intimately be aware of those inner machinations while observing the reactions of those around her and of alien lifeforms who didn’t share human history (for the most part), yet still came to the same conclusions. I’d name her Margaret, as my grandmother was a fan of Trek and I’d love to get that little bit of her out there in the verse.

What is it about Star Trek that you like?: I always loved the hope. I grew up watching TOS and other science fiction shows. It seemed like space really was the way forward. TNG furthered that when it came out: this vision of utopian future. It seemed like the idea of giving up money and greed and personal gain to better all man was a message that people would listen to.

What is it about Star Trek that you don't like?: I missed the grit. Sometimes it was too clean, too perfect.

If you could become a script writer, what thing(s) would you bring about to enhance the image of Star Trek?: An origin point. Yes, first contact came with the Vulcans, and yes, it was touched on in Enterprise. Right now, though, for this current generation of watchers, if a new show was done and it hammered down the point that there was the great war and humanity nearly met its end before coming together as one to form ideas that would salvage the best parts of humanity, you’d reach the core of Trek again. Not just exploration and war or espionage, but bettering each other. I think that it’d be a very relatable topic in today’s world.

Which Star Trek series character(s) do you most associate with and why?: Oo this is a toughie. I’d have to say Bones, as I’m always cranky and mumbling and rather Southern. I’m told that it’s a lovable cranky.

Would you consider writing fan fiction outside of Star Trek, or indeed, do you, if so, where?: I used to write fanfiction for Resident Evil, Stargate, Dragon Riders of Pern and Star Wars. I don’t write fan fiction much anymore. I run my Stargate sim here in Pegasus Fleet if that is what you mean.

Is there a piece of insight that you'd like to pass onto the current script writers/directors of the new Star Trek films?: The relationships are key to good writing. The captain can’t be the only star of the show, the rest of the cast has to shine or the show will burn out fast. The chemistry is more important than control.

If you could meet any Star Trek actor/actress, who would it be?: It would be Leonard Nimoy for a hug and a thank you because a little autistic girl could relate really well to this role that he’d built out in Spock. I’d have to explain that at about six that I was going to marry his character, but I married this lovely guy named Aaron instead.

If you could ask them one question, what would that question be?: I’d like to know if he loved the role as much as his fans did. I know that he saw the impact, but that doesn’t equate to love.

Is there anything else you'd like to add?: For other COs - Trek is such a wide and varied combination of times and types. You could build a million sims in it, and still not copy another’s core focus. When building a Trek sim, find your schtick. Not for your character, but the sim. Build around that. Build with a purpose, and you’ll find that you stand out. Give your crew love in the storylines and build that relationship, and that magnetism created will draw your other players in. It’s all about charisma and give and take, never control.
Commander Finchley Kerr
Commanding Officer
USS Lantau
Task Group 1
Task Force 37
Pegasus Fleet

Kevin, Lord Kilbane
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by Kevin, Lord Kilbane » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:02 pm

Today we're delighted to have with us from Star Wars: Rogue Moon, Adam, who plays Bantha crew member Ashley Vesper. Our thanks go to Adam for taking the time to be interviewed.

What's your RL first name?: Adam

How did you become involved in Star Trek simming/writing?: I was just a little bored and looking for things to fill up some time that I could do with other people and have some fun adventures.

How did you become involved in Pegasus Fleet?: Found it looking for a new story to follow after another one I was in stopped running. Filling up those little time gaps.

Who is/are your main character(s) in Pegasus Fleet?: Ashley Hammerfield Vesper

What do you believe sets Pegasus Fleet apart from other Star Trek RPG fleets?: I cant really comment as ive not been part for long but from what I have seen so far things are kept well organised and well paced to prevent storylines from stagnating or becoming bogged down. The people ive met here are also really nice too

If you could create a persona for a ST series, which series would it be, where would your persona be placed (Science, Engineering, Security etc) and what name would you give them?: It would have to be The original but in the movie era times – cant beat those snazzy uniforms. A name – mmm... Jamie Hollyford and definitely in engineering. You cant beat all the vent crawling and space tech of putting ships back together from the inevitable battle damage it will receive.

What is it about Star Trek that you like?: Some of the uniforms – I have a nice leather jacket from the new star trek film. Some of the stories and characters gel very well together and are thoroughly entertaining

What is it about Star Trek that you don't like?: The filler episodes – Im looking at you early Troi until you ranked up

If you could become a script writer, what thing(s) would you bring about to enhance the image of Star Trek?: Definitely a more over arching story that Enterprise and DS9 had to keep me coming back for a bit more. I feel the new films taking a more action filled role and some very well written and acted moments have put it in the right direction to bring it back.

Which Star Trek series character(s) do you most associate with and why?: Captain Picard – The shared hairline

Would you consider writing fan fiction outside of Star Trek, or indeed, do you, if so, where?: Of course – but my knowledge is mainly on the ST universe so would need a bit of time to look things over on any other subject. I do have a bit in other areas sci-fi but if id to try anything else like that id probably jump backwards to WW2.

Is there a piece of insight that you'd like to pass onto the current script writers/directors of the new Star Trek films?: Everything is gearing up to a war with the Klingons – best go with it sooner rather than later – from what I heard that’s what people expected in the motion picture and were disappointed when it was not.

If you could meet any Star Trek actor/actress, who would it be?: Patrick Stewart

If you could ask them one question, what would that question be?: What does it feel like to preform in theatre compared to TV
Commander Finchley Kerr
Commanding Officer
USS Lantau
Task Group 1
Task Force 37
Pegasus Fleet

Kevin, Lord Kilbane
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by Kevin, Lord Kilbane » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:56 pm

After a little hiatus, I'm delighted to say that we're back with more interviews!

Next up, and we thank them very much for taking the time to be interviewed, is our very own PFCO, Admiral Emily Quinn.

How did you become involved in Star Trek simming/writing?:
I first started simming about 8 years ago, when I was in grad school. I had heard about online Star Trek roleplaying groups, but I had never seriously looked into joining one. My first sims were all forum based, and not on a dedicated Star Trek forum. There were a few different games that I joined, and I bounced between a few different ones. Eventually a friend that I met on one of those games told me about a sim that he was starting in Horizon Fleet. That was my first experience joining a dedicated Star Trek community, and where I really got my first taste of simming.

How did you become involved in Pegasus Fleet?:
I joined Pegasus Fleet not too long after joining Horizon Fleet. I won't go into the details, but at the time Pegasus Fleet was freshly formed, and many of my simming friends were moving over here. Since the only ties I had to HF were the friends that were moving, one of which I later found out was the founder of Pegasus Fleet, I moved with them. The first sim that I joined here was the USS Jackal, which not too long after transitioned into Starbase 332. It was a year or two before I joined the PFA when I was talked into applying for the then open R&D position.

Who is/are your character(s) in Pegasus Fleet?:
My primary characters are Admiral Emily Quinn, the Fleet commanding officer, and Captain Liarra Von, commanding officer of Starbase 332. I've had a few other characters here over the years, but since taking over as PFCO, it's been harder for me to focus on more than one sim and what's going on with the Fleet. So for now I've limited myself to those two. I do have a number of secondary characters that I rotate through on Starbase 332, but my primary is still Captain Von.

What do you believe sets Pegasus Fleet apart from other Star Trek RPG fleets?:
My experience in other fleets is certainly lacking, but I'd like to think that what sets us apart is our community-first mindset. I know one thing that I've always tried to emphasize since becoming PFCO is that this isn't my fleet or even the PFA's fleet. Pegasus Fleet belongs to all of our members. The PFA is just here to be administrators. Although that does mean that we have to enforce rules, we do so for what we believe is in the best interests of the Fleet, to promote and grow our community.

If you could create a persona for a ST series, which series would it be, where would your persona be placed (Science, Engineering, Security etc) and what name would you give them?:
The TNG era certainly offers the most in the way of technology and quality of life enhancements. If were to choose one of the TNG-era series, I would pick TNG. I'd still get to involved with cutting edge technology, but I would get to avoid the horrors of the Dominion War or the hardship of being lost in the Delta Quadrant. That being said, I'd have a difficult time to making an argument against Enterprise. During the voyages of the NX-01, they were literally on the cutting edge of Earth technology, and were among the pioneers embarking into deep space for the first time, truly going where no man had gone before. In our real life space program, I've always had the most interest in the space race era of exploration, more so than the shuttle and modern eras. There's something exciting about being among the first to explore something. As for where I would want to be placed, it would be in engineering. I'm an engineer in real life, and part of that is due to the enjoyment of facing problems and finding a solution. Life as an engineer on Star Trek would be no different.

What is it about Star Trek that you like?:
It's difficult to pick just one thing that I like about Star Trek. I've always loved that it's a glimpse into our possible future, and Treknology has always had a way of inspiring real life technology. I'll be honest, the technology of Star Trek, and falling in love with the ships, was part of my personal inspiration to be an engineer. But beyond that, I've always loved the stories and the characters. Every series was able to create compelling characters and stories that could put a sci-fi lens on many issues that we deal with in real life. And of course, Star Trek has one of the most dedicated fandoms that has ever existed. No pun intended, but I do find it fascinating to see how Star Trek has affected so many lives.

What is it about Star Trek that you don't like?:
While the fandom is one of the things I love about Star Trek, it's also one of the things that I dislike, though this may be as much a commentary on social media than a slight against the fandom. I find it frustrating to see how a show that has a major theme of acceptance and understanding can have so many fans that insist on defining what is "true" Trek. What makes Star Trek special varies from person to person, so no one person can really speak for the group. It does make it feel difficult to have a fandom discussion without someone spewing hate about a show that they've refused to watch. I know Star Trek is by no means unique to this phenomenon, but it does sometimes feel like fandoms can't enjoy new things because they can't get out of their own way. Star Trek is no exception.

If you could become a script writer, what thing(s) would you bring about to enhance the image of Star Trek?:
I'm not sure that I have a good answer for that. I think Star Trek needs to continue to be its own thing, and not try to cater to the masses. If the franchise continues to tell stories like they have been, I think they would be in good shape.

Which Star Trek series character(s) do you most associate with and why?:
It certainly depends on the day, but much of the time I think I'd associate the most with Geordi or Data. Much of their job was solving the problem of the week, and in my real life much of my job is doing the same. Granted, their problems were often life or death and involved the ship being in danger, while my problems usually deal with making sure our customers have the information that they need to integrate our product. But I still feel a bit of a connection.

Is there a piece of insight that you'd like to pass onto the current script writers/directors of the new Star Trek series/films?:
Like I said before, don't try to make Star Trek something that it's not, and don't try to bend to the will of the most vocal fans. I've seen other shows that have made that mistake, and by the end of the show, the writers seemed to have forgotten what made fans fall in love in the first place.

If you could meet any Star Trek actor/actress, who would it be?:
I would say Brent Spiner. I've always loved Data as a character, and with everything that I have seen about Brent at conventions, he has quite the sense of humor. I think he'd be fun to get to know.

If you could ask them just one question, what would that question be?:
If you had any idea how your role would have made people feel, would you still have taken it?

I have not really considered it, but I might be open to it with the right franchise. Even though I am not always a stickler for canon, Star Trek still offers a large and in depth universe for us as fans to use as a sandbox. Few other franchises offer that opportunity. Star Wars is certainly deep in lore, depending on your definition of canon, but Star Wars fans can sometimes be even more aggressive about enforcing canon established in the Expanded Universe, rather than on the films. I would say that the Wizarding World offers a lot to build on.
Commander Finchley Kerr
Commanding Officer
USS Lantau
Task Group 1
Task Force 37
Pegasus Fleet

Return to “General Discussion”