Star Trek Discovery Trailer

Talk about any old rubbish here - but don't spam!
Emily
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Star Trek Discovery Trailer

Post by Emily » Wed May 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Most of the folks on Discord already saw this, but the trailer for Star Trek Discovery was just released. What do you guys think of this initial teaser? They also released this image preview.

When I first heard about Star Trek Discovery and the era it was going to be set it, I was less than thrilled. I really wanted something post-Nemesis to continue the timeline that we write in. When they released the teaser of the ship, I really didn't have high hopes for the show. This trailer kind of changed my mind. The ship looks much better now that they've had a chance to finish it and I love the variety of characters that I'm seeing (not just Humans). I'm looking forward to the first episode, whenever they decide to release it.

EDIT: Here is another image from the trailer.

Aaron
Chief of Public Relations

Re: Star Trek Discovery Trailer

Post by Aaron » Fri May 19, 2017 12:02 pm

I am a fan of the Uniforms but am bummed because it is going to be on CBS streaming service and not more widely distributed.
Rear Admiral Jesse James
Pegasus Fleet

Lt.CMdr Craig Travis
Chief of Base Security
SB 332
TF11

Stradivarius
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by Stradivarius » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:20 pm

It's the elephant in the room, isn't it?

The franchise did not need another prequel series. The mind boggles how they could even consider this a Prime Universe series when its look is so obviously inspired by the movies and not TOS or ENT.

I'll be honest, if they had only set it after Nemesis, I would be subscribing to CBS all-access in September and watching it religiously, despite the crappy teaser, despite the look of the Klingons, despite the alien whose species senses impending death, despite the forever-be-damned lens-flares. The cast is great, the effects are good, the set designs look great and I like that they're doing a more character-driven arc instead of an episodic series, but the prequel is what I can't get past. I can't emotionally invest in that because history doesn't need to be re-tread by writers who think they can do it better. ENT proved that CBS/Paramount cannot be trusted with their own canon in the way that Lucas could not be trusted with his own. I see Yeoh and Martin-Green walking on the desert planet and I think, "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and it gets ev-ery-where."

I also don't like that, in response to valid criticism, they pulled the Ghostbusters Reboot defense. I.e. anyone who has a problem with this is a racist misogynist. I have no problem with diversity, because it was always part and parcel of Roddenberry's vision for Star Trek -- a future where we get over petty differences and move forward together to make a better tomorrow.

I will be voting with my wallet and my wallet says it doesn't like prequels. I honestly think this will hurt simming for a while, and that Trek will move on without me.

Stradivarius
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by Stradivarius » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:34 am

Yeah, it's looking like a rolling dumpster fire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQcLLfzzKWA

Jack Mantell
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by Jack Mantell » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:28 am

See, CBS did the thing where they took their Trek fans for granted, tried to appease them by giving them another "Prime Universe" show, but screwed it up by making it 1. a prequel, 2. LENSFLARES! and 3. difference for the sake of difference in so many ways, from uniforms to Klingon makeup.

I know we're judging before it starts, and yet it cannot be helped. When Enterprise premiered in 2001, all I knew was that it was a new Trek show set before Kirk. That's what the ads told me after the finale Voyager episodes. There was not much, if anything, on the Internet, and I didn't subscribe to any sci-fi magazines to catch any possible scoops there. So I was set to watch whatever came out.

In 2017, it's an entirely different world. The internet is much more mature, social media has come to play a big part, and YouTube (et al) gives us theater-quality previews without ponying up (what is it now? $15 for a ticket?) money for a sticky floor and a battle for the arm rest. Speculation abounds, and not all of it is good. We know Brian Fuller was, and then was not, part of the Discovery team. We know Nicholas Meyer is executive producer on Discovery, which adds some weight to the show, but then there's the Orville with not just Jonathan Frakes, but also Robert Duncan McNeill and Brannon Braga, which seems to tip the scales away from Discovery in terms of name power.

Then there's the constant delays.

Then the ambiguous news about the show.

I get the CBS wants people to buy in (pun intended, see: CBS All Access) to the new show when it airs, but they're acting like it's 1997, not 2017. They're really, really bad at promoting what should be a renewal of Star Trek and a bright spot to the fans. But after the mishandling of Enterprise, the discontent over Abramsverse films, the stasi-like "guidelines" for Trek fan films and the bumpy road already for Discovery, CBS seems to be playing the proverbial russian roulette with its fanbase.

What airs in September might be titled Star Trek. But it remains to be seen if it will truly live up to the name.

Stradivarius
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by Stradivarius » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Ugh.

Just ugh.

JasmineSomers
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by JasmineSomers » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Having seen the first 2 Episodes, it shows promise, but the setting is more suited to the Kelvin Timeline than the Primary timeline, but the way things are set up, Vulcan exists in the world of Discovery, but it is never really mentioned.

Still CBS and Paramount put all those rules against Fan Made productions, when the Production value of the Axanar intro video was of better quality and tied in better with events prior ST: TOS The Cage episode if that was the name of the first episode!

While the storyline was good, a lot of the effects were Kelvin timeline based, hence my earlier assessment, but Discovery's Production Quality was not the same high standard of what Axanars would have been. Still, time will only tell if discovery is successful, but CBS is hindering the programs distribution ability by only allowing it to be streamed not public.

Time will tell, time will tell
CHARACTERS

-----------------------------------------
"Today is a Good Day to die" Klingon saying
-----------------------------------------

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:25 pm

I get the feeling that America (and I think Canada, if I'm remembering what I read somewhere a little while ago) are being shafted with the distribution of Discovery, since your only (legal) choice is on CBS All Access. For the rest of us, while I'd still prefer the show air on traditional TV, I think Netflix works quite well for it, and it's something that a lot of people already have, and is available quite easily (sometimes installed by default) on a lot of different devices.

Return to “General Discussion”