Armitage Class Specifications

General Discussion for R&D Matters

Moderator: Clement

Kaede Kayano
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Armitage Class Specifications

Post by Kaede Kayano » Thu May 21, 2015 5:21 am

The USS Tokyo is an Armitage Attack Carrier. The class of starship was first developed in 2383 when Starfleet recognised they needed a carrier vessel which was capable of rapid response duties. One problem that was first recognised as early as the Dominion War was that Starfleet did not have a ship capable of transporting short range attack or defense vessels in a reasonable quantity. The Akira Class carrier was capable of transporting a large amount of fighters, however it was starting to show its age.

The Armitage Class was heavily based on the Akira Class with more advanced technology and with a better spaceframe. With a dedicated lower hull specially designed for Fighter and secondary craft operations the Armitage class has superior carrier abilities and capacity. She is capable of transporting upto 60 fighters, however runs with a standard compliment of 40, 10 per squadron.

The USS Tokyo is not just a carrier, she is also fully capable of managing deep space operations and special ops. Her main role is to maintain the security of the Federation, from managing civilian traffic to engaging invading forces. She is designed as a rapid response attack carrier which is Starfleets answer to the rising tensions and uprest within the quadrant.

General
Class: Armitage
Role: Rapid Response Attack Carrier
Duration: 85 Years
Time Between Refits: 5 Years
Time Between Resupply: 3 Years

Dimensions
Length: 500 Meters
Width: 300 Meters
Height: 90 Meters
Decks: 20

Personnel
Officers: 100
Enlisted Crew: 400
Marines: 80
Civilians: 50
Emergency Capacity: 1500

Speed
Cruise Speed: Warp 9
Maximum Speed: Warp 9.975
Emergency Speed: Warp 9.99

Weapons & Defensive Systems

Shields
Auto-Modulating Shields
Regenerative Shields
Secondary Shield System

Weapon Systems

Phasers
Type XIII Phaser Array: 8
Type XIII Phaser Turrents: 2
Type XIII Forward Quad Phaser Cannons

Photon Torpedo Point Defense System - 360 Degree targeting

Torpedo Launchers
Rapid Relaunch Torpedo Launcher: 2
Burst Fire Torpedo Launcher: 4
Pulse Fire Torpedo Launcher: 2
Armament Tri-Cobalt Devices: 15
Quantum Torpedoes: 300
Photon Torpedoes: 600

Auxiliary Craft

Shuttlebays: 2

Shuttles
Type IX Shuttle: 2
Type VI Shuttle: 4
Type VII Shuttle: 4

Fighters

Raptor Attack Fighters: 40

Runabouts

Danube Class Runabout: 2
Delta Flyer Class Runabout: 2

Deck Listing

Deck A

Upper Torpedo Launchers, Torpedo Storage, 360 Degree Sensors.
Deck B

Pod tactical sensor systems, emergency life support systems, Torpedo Launchers, Torpedo Storage
Deck C

Torpedo control room, forward torpedo launcher (lower level), emergency shield generators 1 & 2, torpedo magazine, torpedo modification & maintenance, auxiliary tactical control, backup antimatter storage
Deck 1 Main bridge, ready room, briefing room, observation lounge
Deck 2 Junior and senior qfficers' quarters, VIP/guest quarters, holosuites
Deck 3 Visiting officers' quarters, holodecks, primary shield generators
Deck 4 Sickbay, Chief Medical Officer's office, primary science labs, junior and senior officers' quarters, Counsellor's office
Deck 5 Junior officers' and crew quarters, main lounge, secondary science labs, Chief Operations Officer's office, cargo bays 1 & 2
Deck 6 Primary computer core control, cargo bay 3, Marine barracks, Marine briefing room, Marine armoury
Deck 7 Primary computer core, Engineering workshops and labs.
Deck 8 Primary computer core control, cargo bay 3, Marine barracks, Marine briefing room, Marine armoury
Deck 9 Shield Generators, Primary Life Support, Auxiliary Control, Crew Quarters
Deck 10 Main Science Labs, Chief Science Officers Office, Astrometrics, armoury (upper level), firing range, brig
Deck 11 Security Complex, Main Brig, Crew Quarters, armoury (lower level), Chief Tactical Officer's office,
Deck 12 Primary machine shop, primary maintenance support centre, observation area, pilots' ready room & briefing area
Deck 13 Upper engineering support area, fusion power generators 1-4, enlisted personnel living quarters, stellar cartography, torpedo magazine and manufacturing area
Deck 14 Main engineering - M/ARA operations centre, fusion power generators 4-6, flight operations, enlisted personnel living quarters, transporter rooms 1 and 2, Chief Engineer's office/station
Deck 15 Starfighter Operations, Fighter Storage Bays, Auxiliar Craft Storage Bays, Repair Bays, Shuttle/Fighter workshops.
Deck 16 Through Hangar Bay upper level, Fighter Squadron Bays 3 & 4
Deck 17 Through hangar bay lower level, Fighter Squadron bays 1 & 2

I have been using these as specs on the Tokyo. I would like opinions on them so that I can put them forward as a proper class within the fleet so that the Tokyo is listed as an Armitage rather than an Akira. :)
ImageImage

Treymiar
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Armitage Class Specifications

Post by Treymiar » Thu May 21, 2015 10:09 pm

Perhaps not as robust as what you have now, but aesthetically, I like this layout:

http://ships.independencefleet.com/Indo ... im/specs/1

"Sometimes, people become enemies because they don't understand each other.
Other times, they become enemies because they do."

Confusedfire
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Confusedfire » Fri May 29, 2015 3:54 pm

I would change the following before putting it forward:

Type XIII Phaser Turrents: 2 (Into) Type U Phaser Cannons: 2
Type XIII Phaser Array: 8 (Into) Type XI Phaser Array: 8

(Reason for above: Type XIII is entirely overpowered I don't think that would be approved.)

I would also reduce your Photon Torpedoes to: 300 and your Quantum Torpedoes to: 150

(Reason for above: 600 torpedoes is a lot for a carrier...And, if it is a rapid response carrier you would rely more heavily on reloading at various stations throughout)

I would adjust your cruising speed to Warp 8.5 and for your emergency speed I would mark that it is capable of that for 18 hours (or 12 hours).

(Reason for above: Warp 9 is high for cruising speed. And, all emergency speed factors have some sort of time limit associated with them.)

Otherwise, I would leave everything else alone including your deck listing. Please also note that the above are an opinion as I am not part of R&D in the fleet.
Captain Neela Izal
Commanding Officer TF37
Commanding Officer SB-812

"Spot this is down...down is good!"

- LCDR Data

Treymiar
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Treymiar » Fri May 29, 2015 4:35 pm

I have a hard time seeing the big dogs using same sized torpedoes as little boats. During WW2, you had small aerial torpedoes and you had Japanese Long Lance monsters.

There is no Trek standard for torpedo power. Different shows depicted a wide range of effects. Some were shield smashing single impacts. Others slowly chipped away at defences.

I also don't understand why small boats mount burstfire launchers but only stow a small torpedo capacity. Brrrrip! Empty. Time to trek back across the stars to reload. Or, go back to supply line ships which the enemy of course never pays attention to.

Trek torpedoes are itty bitty. Larger ships can easily carry hundreds. I've heard of fighter craft delivering them a la dive bombers. For extended operations far from the Federation inner sphere, a large payload might be advisable for carriers.

Just a few random thoughts, here.

Kaede Kayano
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by Kaede Kayano » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:39 pm

The phasers are MK XIII, not because of the power but because they are new phasers which are newer than the Mk XII's with better peformance, targeting, power consumption etc.

Also the ship has lots of torpedo's as she is based off an STO design which happens to have lots of torpedo's for its torpedo point system :) They needed a little explaining of course, but does that make it more understandable. You have to remember this ship has new technology aboard so MkXII phasers are pretty old now.
ImageImage

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:24 pm

Personally I think you might be overstating the age of the phasers (and of the Akira in the class description) a little bit. Both the Type XII and the Akira were introduced in the early 2370s - putting them at most 20 years old now, and 13 years old at the time the Armitage was designed. Considering these ships are designed with a lifespan of 50-100 years (the Akira is listed as having a lifespan of 80 years), I doubt they'd need to be replaced so quickly. Afterall, they were showing their age, but there were Miranda classes flying about in the Dominion War, and they were introduced a hundred years beforehand.

Though there are easily Type XIIIs around now, I think that the power requirements of them are going to need to be taken into consideration. The most powerful phasers will only be fitted as new to the largest of ships with the largest of power plants when they are first released. Smaller ships powerplants would struggle to power the best equipment until refinements have been made to the power plants and the phaser arrays themselves to make the strain on the power systems less strenuous. By the time the Armitage class was developed, it would probably have been able to carry maybe a couple of the Type XIIIs - maybe it could have been refitted to carry more at a later date, when the power systems were upgraded and the Type XIIIs refined to be more efficient. But I reckon it would probably still have a mix of different classes of phasers, and they wouldn't all be Type XIIIs.

Obviously all this is just me speaking off the top of my head - without a real technical understanding of the stuff of the level that others have here, but those are my thoughts :) Starfleet will make decisions based on power consumption versus benefit of the higher rated systems rather than just going for what is new, but the fleet is in the 2390s now, so there would have been room for some enhancements.

As far as the torpedoes go; the number of them all depends on the amount of space you want to take up. Obviously the more torpedoes you want to carry, the fewer rooms you're going to have for living space and other things. To be honest, I doubt that many components of the torpedoes will be non-replicable now, so ships will probably keep a steady number of torpedoes for use, and then stock up on the components they can't replicate if they're going to be out away from a base for a while - and replicate the casings and so on on an as-needed basis.

To Treyimar's comment about the Trek standard for torpedo power; as early as the 2100s in Enterprise the torpedoes were configurable yield. The same torpedo could take a layer of paint from the hull of a cargo freighter as blow up a moon; it all just depends on the yield specified by the tactical officer.

Treymiar
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Treymiar » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:42 pm

Another philosophical point to consider is, warheads and cannon shells are prepackaged projectiles which far exceed energies which ship reactors can generate, which would account for their limited number. As an analogy, a sailing ship could use it's own sailor & rope strength to field catapults, or it could carry manufactured gunpowder. If ship's reactors can generate torpedoes on the fly, then they become nothing more significant than phaser bolts being delivered in a different package.

Same applies to armor. If the almighty replicator can fabricate new armor on the fly, then armor is reduced from being a hard-forged defence into being little more than a different kind of deflector shield manifestation.

Summary: If torpedoes and armor are going to be special, then they need to significantly surpass what ships can generate on the fly. My2cents.

Return to “Starfleet Engineering Outer Office”