Geek Protest, Here.

General Discussion for R&D Matters

Moderator: Clement

Treymiar
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Geek Protest, Here.

Post by Treymiar » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:09 pm

Okay, Okay... I was checking out new sims and tripped over some Specs.
I hit the old PF database, and sure enough the stock load outs were right there.

WHY... does the Miranda Class have considerably greater firepower than a Lakota?
and WHY... is she faster?

Lakota (Excelsior upgrade) has more powerful reactors to feed phaser banks and {bigger} engines.
Type-12 phasers on a Miranda?? That's just... Voyager escalation syndrome.

{Yes, my Insignia Class Harby is jealous.}

- PSF

"Sometimes, people become enemies because they don't understand each other.
Other times, they become enemies because they do."

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Re: Geek Protest, Here.

Post by Alex » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:06 am

There's also the fact that we're probably to the point that the Miranda class ships need to start being retired. I think we should still have era relevant specs, but that class really shouldn't have still been active during the Dominion War, and especially not another twenty years later. No new Mirandas should be being built by 2392. You could make the argument that the Excelsior refits (you referred to it as the Lokata type, but the Enterprise most likely predated it) are getting pretty old too, but the refit probably updated and revitalized the ship for further use. But while they could still be in service and not likely to necessarily be retired, there probably aren't new Excelsior class ships being built when there are so many new classes available. Compared to the shelf life of the Constitution class, these two classes have had a very long life span, possibly unrealistically so.

I know that doesn't address your comments, but are just additional musings on the subject.
Fleet Admiral Emily Quinn
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Treymiar
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Treymiar » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:02 am

;) Weeell now, there might be one more Miranda roaming the wilds.
USS Precious

Years ago, Ferengi cohorts set about collecting Dominion War salvage and spare parts. Their mission statement was to:
• Practice efficient materials recycling
• Clearing valuable Federation inventory for more modern equipment
• Improve Federation defencive capabilities, should there be another war.
The real reason was, of course, the entrepreneurs wanted to build a complete Miranda class starship for themselves out of salvage parts.

The project almost ended in disaster. Quartermaster auditors spotted heavy use of shuttles and mistakenly concluded that the Ferengi were either stealing them or smuggling black market cargo. Several little orange business associates were arrested as part of a full investigation. Thorough searches failed, however, to turn up any evidence at all. The problem was, the partial Miranda hull that they were searching didn't contain any evidence. It was the evidence. The investigators missed the forest for the trees, so to speak.

The Ferengi were originally going to name the ship "USS Free Enterprise", but it was decided that this could attract too much attention. The next name was to be "USS Golden Profit", registered as Bajoran "Golden Prophet". In the end, however, 'Precious' seemed to be much more fitting.

So, if you ever hear Ferengi talking about "Precious", it is very likely that they're referring to an unregistered Miranda. (There is a distinct possibility that Starfleet Intel is quite aware of its existence.)

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:47 pm

Yeah, but I think it's safe to say that one doesn't count as being under Starfleet's control. DeLorean doesn't make cars anymore, but that doesn't mean that you can't still build them from kits. There are a ton of P-51s still flying too, but that doesn't mean they are active in the USAF.

A Miranda built from salvage may still be operational, but that doesn't mean that Starfleet is still actively servicing them.

That being said, that's an interesting idea, and not that much different than what the Sojourners have been doing. They've been taking salvage and refitting them with new equipment, so it may be an older spaceframe operating newer equipment. Did the Ferengi want to do anything with this ship, or did they just want to build it like a car lover would build a kit car?
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Treymiar
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Treymiar » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:20 pm

Hey, one can get a looot of mileage beyond the frontiers letting people think that your ship is Federation. Most folks won't dare pick on you. :)

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:24 am

Interestingly enough, the older classes are still getting some interest. In the last couple of months we've actually had two Miranda's join us, and an application for a third (I've asked if they're happy to use another ship class since I don't want us to be over-saturated with just the one)

Though it might be worth going through all of our ship classes, and assigning a year range to them - surely the older classes would have a limit to how long they would be kept going (there would of course be exceptions to those COs who want one of those classes), but they could stay in the database for use in niche sims set in different time periods.

It might also be worth having a 'default' ship spec which will be loaded into IFS with a note saying 'these specifications for this ship are as from [year]'. Then on the corresponding wiki page, we could provide links to those ship classes from other periods in time. That would allow us to have say specs for a Galaxy class in its current 2392 configuration for standard sims, but still have specs in the database for a Galaxy class of the 2360s for those who might want to run a TNG-era sim.

Tyler
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by Tyler » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:01 pm

Are we looking for new ship classes that are not canon? I already have a few of those in my personal writings. Just curious :)

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:58 pm

Always! We already have several ship classes that never appeared in any canon sources. I'm sure Admiral Wells would love to have some new ship classes to play with anyway.
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Tyler
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by Tyler » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:41 pm

Sorry this is so late, but I will see about getting a new class ship to you guys as soon as time allows.

Scott
Commander Nathanial Summers, DSci
Commanding Officer
USS Apollo
NCC-40981
(One of those old ships) :)

Joe_Rhimer
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Joe_Rhimer » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:44 pm

You can send it my way directly: pfdr@pegasusfleet.net and we can go over the details of the specs :)

Return to “Starfleet Engineering Outer Office”