PROPOSED RAVEN-CLASS SUPPORT SHIP SPECIFICATIONS

Archived discussions of all specifications which have been approved and put into use by the Research & Development Department

Moderator: Clement

Colton North
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

PROPOSED RAVEN-CLASS SUPPORT SHIP SPECIFICATIONS

Post by Colton North » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:15 am

Presented here are the proposed specifications for the Raven-class Support Ship, open for review. Please feel free to submit questions, comments and proposed amendments below.

Raven Class Starship

Category: Support Ship

Expected Duration: 20 years
Time Between Resupply: 6 months
Time Between Refit: 5 years

Personnel
Crew: 5
Passengers: 5
Maximum (Evacuation) Capacity: 15

Speed
Cruising Velocity: Warp 4
Maximum Velocity: Warp 6.5
Emergency Velocity: Warp 7.5 (for 24 hours)

Dimensions
Length: 80 meters
Width: 75 meters
Height: 50 meters
Decks: 5

Auxiliary Craft
Shuttlebay: 1
Type 17 Shuttlepod: 1

Armament

Defensive Systems
Structural Integrity Field

Phasers
Type VII Array: 3

Torpedoes
Torpedo Launchers:1
Probes: 5

Shielding Systems
Standard Shielding System
Auto-modulating Shields

Description
The Raven-class support ships came into service in the early 2350's. The design brief called for a small research vessel which could be utilised by both Starfleet and civilian scientific research programs.
Because of the Raven's internal adaptability, Starfleet believed that their sole application as research vessels was somewhat short-sighted and they soon saw service as couriers, passenger transports and scouts by Starfleet and civilian organisations since their commissioning in the 2350's.

Since they are not solely Starfleet vessels they do not need to have an extensive military capability and as a result they are only lightly armed for defensive purposes. The real marvel of the Raven-class is her ability to travel medium to long distances. The class has one of the better fuel efficiency ratings on record and because the navigation and propulsion systems are highly automated, one or two people can operate these ships for long periods of time with little aid from a Starbase or other docking facility.

Deck Listing
Deck 01: Crew Quarters, Passenger Quarters Secondary Sensor Array, Mess Hall, Communications Array, Cargo Bay 1, Upper Airlock, Recreation Room
Deck 02: Main Bridge, Briefing Room, Offices, Upper Engineering Access, Deuterium Storage (Upper), Deuterium Injectors, Science Labs 1-4, Transporter Room, Primary Stores
Deck 03: Sickbay, Main Engineering (Level 1), Computer Core (Level 1), Deuterium Storage (Lower), Main Impulse Engines, Cargo Bay 2, Cargo Transporter, Shuttlebay
Deck 04: Life Support, SIF/IDF Generators, Shield Generators, Main Engineering (Level 2) Computer Core (Level 2), Main Deflector, Navigational Sensor Array, Secondary Stores, Deflector Control
Deck 05: Primary Sensor Array, Tractor Beam Emitters, Warp Core Ejection Hatch, Landing Struts, Waste Reclamation Systems, Antimatter Storage/Injectors, Lower Airlock

Stradivarius
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Re: PROPOSED RAVEN-CLASS SUPPORT SHIP SPECIFICATIONS

Post by Stradivarius » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:28 am

Personally, I would bump up the cruising speed to Warp 6 or 7. I mean, it would have to be fast if it was used to track the Borg in the Alpha Quadrant and beyond. Notch the phasers down to type V or IV, because it was used by civilians, give it 4 phaser arrays because it looked like that was the number of collimator strips fore and aft, give it a little more crew and evacuation capability (it is a 5 deck ship, after all) and adjust the dimensions thusly:

Length 96m
Width 69m
Height 17m

(I did measurements in GIMP, and these seem to be a pretty accurate distribution)

Colton North
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by Colton North » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:51 am

Ahh, finally, someone notices!!!

Just making sure that people are awake and actually looking at these specs. Especially my predecessor! :-P

Liking those measurements. Will have a think about the speed. I already covered this issue with the original proposer and my predecessor. I wanted the Raven to be faster than the runabouts etc, but there was some discussion on just how fast they'd go. I figured that faster than a runabout, slower than a starship would fit well.

Raven Class Starship

Category: Support Ship

Expected Duration: 20 years
Time Between Resupply: 6 months
Time Between Refit: 5 years

Personnel
Crew: 5
Passengers: 5
Maximum (Evacuation) Capacity: 15

Speed
Cruising Velocity: Warp 4
Maximum Velocity: Warp 6.5
Emergency Velocity: Warp 7.5 (for 24 hours)

Dimensions
Length 96m
Width 69m
Height 17m
Decks: 5

Auxiliary Craft
Shuttlebay: 1
Type 17 Shuttlepod: 1

Armament

Defensive Systems
Structural Integrity Field

Phasers
Type VI Array: 4

Torpedoes
Torpedo Launchers:1
Probes: 5

Shielding Systems
Standard Shielding System
Auto-modulating Shields

Description
The Raven-class support ships came into service in the early 2350's. The design brief called for a small research vessel which could be utilised by both Starfleet and civilian scientific research programs.
Because of the Raven's internal adaptability, Starfleet believed that their sole application as research vessels was somewhat short-sighted and they soon saw service as couriers, passenger transports and scouts by Starfleet and civilian organisations since their commissioning in the 2350's.

Since they are not solely Starfleet vessels they do not need to have an extensive military capability and as a result they are only lightly armed for defensive purposes. The real marvel of the Raven-class is her ability to travel medium to long distances. The class has one of the better fuel efficiency ratings on record and because the navigation and propulsion systems are highly automated, one or two people can operate these ships for long periods of time with little aid from a Starbase or other docking facility.

Deck Listing
Deck 01: Crew Quarters, Passenger Quarters Secondary Sensor Array, Mess Hall, Communications Array, Cargo Bay 1, Upper Airlock, Recreation Room
Deck 02: Main Bridge, Briefing Room, Offices, Upper Engineering Access, Deuterium Storage (Upper), Deuterium Injectors, Science Labs 1-4, Transporter Room, Primary Stores
Deck 03: Sickbay, Main Engineering (Level 1), Computer Core (Level 1), Deuterium Storage (Lower), Main Impulse Engines, Cargo Bay 2, Cargo Transporter, Shuttlebay
Deck 04: Life Support, SIF/IDF Generators, Shield Generators, Main Engineering (Level 2) Computer Core (Level 2), Main Deflector, Navigational Sensor Array, Secondary Stores, Deflector Control
Deck 05: Primary Sensor Array, Tractor Beam Emitters, Warp Core Ejection Hatch, Landing Struts, Waste Reclamation Systems, Antimatter Storage/Injectors, Lower Airlock

Blackcat
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Blackcat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:52 am

While I agree with your measurements, and the armaments...

I have to disagree about the speed. They weren't CHASING the borg, they were relying on passive sensor readings, hence the dual sensor arrays. When the borg ran them down, it wasn't any contest.

Blackcat
nnn >^o.o^< nnn
ImageImage

Colton North
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by Colton North » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:56 am

The Hansen's mission was to conduct research on the Borg. They actively sought out Borg vessels in the Beta Quadrant to conduct said research AND they also had to keep up with said ship while the research took place, which you'll agree is no mean feat. I actually took into account the fact the Hansen's could have modified the warp drive on the Raven to attain the speeds necessary (Think Han Solo and the Falcon), but we're going for stock tech here.

Colton North
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by Colton North » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:26 pm

Stradivarius
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by Stradivarius » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:07 am

Two more.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2i92gz4.jpg

(Dorsal view. You can see the two collimator strips up top.)

http://i53.tinypic.com/5e6fzd.jpg

Return to “Approved Specifications”