PROPOSED Centaur-class Starship Specifications

Archived discussions of all specifications which have been approved and put into use by the Research & Development Department

Moderator: Clement

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

PROPOSED Centaur-class Starship Specifications

Post by Alex » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Hello everyone. The following is the revised specifications for the Centaur-class starship. Please offer any comments or concerns before these specifications are uploaded to the database. Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------
Category: Destroyer
Expected Duration: 100 years
Time Between Resupply: 2 years
Time Between Refit: 5 years

Personnel
Officers: 30
Enlisted Crew: 180
Marines: 0
Maximum (Evacuation) Capacity: 650

Speed
Cruising Velocity: Warp 6
Maximum Velocity: Warp 8.7
Emergency Velocity: Warp 9 (for 12 hours)

Dimensions
Length: 210 meters
Width: 150 meters
Height: 51 meters
Decks: 10

Auxiliary Craft
Shuttlebays: 1
Runabouts
Danube-class: 1
Shuttles
Type 11 Shuttlecraft: 2
Type 17 Shuttlecraft: 2
Type 9 Shuttlecraft: 1

Armament
Defensive Systems
Structural Integrity Field
Phasers
Type IX Array: 5
Type X Array: 4
Shielding Systems
Auto-Modulating Shielding System
Metaphasic Shielding System
Regenerative Shielding System
Torpedoes
Burst-Fire Torpedo Launcher: 4
Photon Torpedoes: 240
Quantum Torpedoes: 90
Tri-Cobalt Device: 3

Description
Designed in the early 2320s as a complement to the existing Excelsior-class and the forthcoming Ambassador-class Starships, the Centaur-class resembles the NX class ships that were the mainstay of Earth's Starfleet before the foundation of the Federation. Like the mythical hybridized creature that the design was named for, the Centaur-class utilized some of the better design elements from two distinct classes of Starship, the Excelsior and the Miranda, in addition to utilizing new design elements that would eventually see their way to newer Starship designs for decades to come. The original design brief was for a medium-sized ship capable which utilized the latest innovations in Federation technology that could mainly serve Starfleet in a defensive capacity but could also take on less taxing assignments, freeing up the larger, mission specific ship classes. Another request was this new class of ship would require a small crew, have fewer resources and have a shorter build time than such classes as the Excelsior, Constellation and the Ambassador. The design team borrowed from the Miranda-class concept for their design, but based the ship off of a mixture of both Miranda and Excelsior-class components. The ship was given a forward shuttlebay, which also helped shield the bridge from enemy fire in case of shield failure. This unique placement also allowed for rapid deployment of attack or rescue craft towards the ship's destination or target. Having only the one shuttlebay would normally mean a small complement of support craft, but the large capacity of the bay allows it to carry a larger complement when necessary. This design element eventually led to the thru-deck shuttlebay design found on the Akira-class design. The ship's design is centered on a downsized version of the Excelsior-class saucer, so the internal arrangement is similar in the crew areas. The ship's phaser bank emplacements are arranged with 4 on the dorsal saucer, 5 on the ventral saucer, totaling in 9 arrays. The torpedo pod which was originally designed for the Miranda-class utilizes 2 forward-firing torpedo launchers and 2 aft-firing launchers. The Centaur has surprising maneuverability for its size and era, surpassing the Miranda-class and rivaling the newer Intrepid-class in combat situations. This has given the ship a high survival rate in massed-fleet combats, though it doesn't fare quite as well in one-on-one engagements. In this role it is an excellent fleet-support ship, being able to defend larger ships against attacks from smaller enemies and draw the fire of large cruisers. The Centaur has proven itself effective at border patrol and anti-pirate activities, and more recently in the Cardassian and Dominion wars as a fast attack ship. It has also proven itself effective in convoy harassment and raids, being able to use its maneuverability and speed to perform hit and run attacks and take minimal damage itself. The many design features utilized in the Centaur paved the way for the Steamrunner and Akira-classes, with many Engineers firmly believing that the Akira-class designs wouldn't exist if not for the Centaur. Along with its battle capabilities, the Centaur has proven a solid platform for scientific operations of varying natures. Several Centaur-class ships have been involved in planetary surveys and archaeological expeditions. Their easily accessible cargo areas also provide an excellent capability for transporting tools, supplies and equipment.

Deck Listing:
1 Main Bridge, Captain's Ready Room, Docking Port

2 Briefing Room, Subspace Antennae, Shuttlebay Observation Deck, Transporter Rooms 1 & 2, Junior Officer's Quarters, Crew Quarters, Impulse Engine Assembly

3 Shuttlebay (Main Floor), Shuttlecraft Launch and Retrieval Systems, Transporter Rooms 3 & 4, Crew Quarters, Guest Quarters, Primary SIF/IDF Generators, Deuterium Storage Pods (Upper)

4 Shuttlebay Storage, Shuttlecraft Maintenance Bay, Shuttlecraft Workshops, Matter Injector, Deuterium Storage Pods (Lower), Engineering Labs and Workshops, Primary Computer Core (Upper Section), Secondary Computer Core (Upper Section), Dorsal Phaser Emplacements, Phaser Firing Control, Sickbay, Medical Labs, Morgue, Senior Officer's Quarters, Captain's Quarters, VIP Quarters

5 Engineering Labs and Workshops, Primary Computer Core (Mid-Upper Section), Secondary Computer Core (Mid Section), Senior Officer's Quarters, Junior Officer's Quarters, Crew Quarters, Security Offices, Brig, Main Armory, Phaser Range

6 Engineering Labs and Workshops, Stellar Cartography/Astrometics Lab, Science Laboratories, Deflector Control, Concealed Deflector Array (Upper), Primary Computer Core (Mid-Lower Section), Secondary Computer Core (Lower Section), Secondary SIF/IDF Generators, Secondary Stores, Environmental Control, Crew Mess, Crew Quarters

7 Main Engineering, Engineering Labs and Workshops, RCS Thruster Assemblies (P/S), Shield Generators, Concealed Deflector Array (Lower), Long Range Sensors, Lateral Sensors, Ventral Phaser Emplacements, Holodecks 1 & 2, General Recreational Areas, Crew Lounge, Gymnasium, Primary Computer Core (Lower Section), Docking Ports (P/S), Crew Quarters

8 Primary Hull: Cargo Bays, Cargo Transporter, Sensor Dome Assembly
Secondary Hull: Torpedo Firing Control, Primary SIF/IDF Generators, Waste Reclamation Systems, Primary Stores, Engineering Labs & Workshops, Antimatter Storage Pods, Antimatter Pod Ejection Systems, Antimatter Fill Ports, Cargo Bays

9 Upper Forward Torpedo Launcher Assembly (P/S), Aft Upper Torpedo Launcher Assembly (P/S), Torpedo Storage, Torpedo and Probe Workshop, Support Systems, Torpedo Auxiliary Control, Tactical Sensors, Main Tractor Beam Emitters (Fore & Aft)

10 Lower Forward Torpedo Launcher Assembly (P/S), Aft Lower Torpedo Launcher Assembly (P/S), Torpedo Storage
Fleet Admiral Emily Quinn
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Blackcat
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: PROPOSED Centaur-class Starship Specifications

Post by Blackcat » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:08 pm

Original:
Speed
Cruising Velocity: Warp 5
Maximum Velocity: Warp 8.5
Emergency Velocity: Warp 9 (for 12 hours)

Proposed:
Speed
Cruising Velocity: Warp 7.8
Maximum Velocity: Warp 9
Emergency Velocity: Warp 9.6 (for 12 hours)

While I realize that advancements have been made in warp technology in the 60 years since the class debuted, if you look at the original specs, the Max velocity and Emergency Velocity are very close together, both pretty far away from the cruising velocity. This suggests that the true limitation on the Emergency velocity isn't a power limitation, but a limitation of the space frame (most likely the keel) instead. Inertial Dampening and Structural Integrity Fields would have advanced as well, but it's a little like putting a Ferrari engine into a Toyota. It can be made to work for a while, but eventually it's going to fall apart. I'd take those Maximum and Emergency Velocities as hard upper limits because of the space frame. Remember that 60 years have passed, about 2/3 of the ship's expected life span, the ships are aging and the amount of resources that the fleet would be willing to invest in them would be limited. The ship doesn't have the variable geometry of an intrepid, so to get anything past warp 6 for a cruising speed would require a complete replacement of the nacelles and warp coils.

Other than that it looks good...
nnn >^o.o^< nnn
ImageImage

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:28 am

It's been updated. Thanks for the feedback.
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Mike
Admin
Admin

Post by Mike » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:41 pm

The only thing I would have said is that I never envisaged the Centaur having the capability for fighters and, from an IC point of view, I don't see them getting used. However, that is well reasoned out in the description so I can't be too moany about it.
ImageImageImageImage

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:37 pm

Aye, I'd also be a little iffy about sticking fighters on the Centaur, especially when it's only 4 (a squadron would normally be either 6 or 12, I'd reckon, not that I'd want that number put up any more than it is). I suppose though with the description that's there, we could always go with that they're purely support craft, but then that would make it a bit of an oddity if COs have a full department consisting only of the crew for piloting and maintaining 4 craft... I dunno, though.

KejalBuris
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

Post by KejalBuris » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:10 pm

I have to agree with the resistance to fighters onboard the Centaur. It just doesn't seem to be reasonable, given the size of the ship - it's only 210m long for goodness' sake!

Now, I have an alternate proposal for the speed issue.
Proposed:
Speed
Cruising Velocity: Warp 6
Maximum Velocity: Warp 8.5
Emergency Velocity: Warp 9.2 (for 12 hours)

I suggest this because, as part of the "Frankenstein Fleet", most Centaurs were meant to be rebuilt into their original components - in this case, Miranda Refit. While the SCE wouldn't allow for this ship to be non-functional, I don't think it would be meant for long-term use like what we're talking about. So, knocking down the speed seems to be good, simply because the thing won't hold together well!

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:48 pm

I see your points about the fighters. It was more or less a hold over from the original specs. I assumed that they would be support craft as well, used in situations where a shuttle might not be appropriate. Still, due to the small size, it would be difficult to carry that many support craft. Would it be better if the number of fighters is dropped to 2?

Regarding having an entire department dedicated for only a few fighters, I was more under the impression that the fighters would be flown by shuttle pilots, who would answer to the chief flight control officer. The Centaur is not a carrier; it would not need a dedicated air wing since they would be special circumstance vessels anyway.
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

KejalBuris
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

Post by KejalBuris » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:15 am

Alexandra wrote:I see your points about the fighters. It was more or less a hold over from the original specs. I assumed that they would be support craft as well, used in situations where a shuttle might not be appropriate. Still, due to the small size, it would be difficult to carry that many support craft. Would it be better if the number of fighters is dropped to 2?
Unfortunately, the "original specs" were probably as flawed as the ones presented in the DS9TM - which put the thing's length at an insane 381.87 meters! So, yes, it would be "better" - but it would be better altogether to simply replace the fighters with a Danube-type runabout.
Alexandra wrote:Regarding having an entire department dedicated for only a few fighters, I was more under the impression that the fighters would be flown by shuttle pilots, who would answer to the chief flight control officer. The Centaur is not a carrier; it would not need a dedicated air wing since they would be special circumstance vessels anyway.
This is a large part of why I suggest a Runabout instead of fighters. They seem to fit more into the mold you're discussing. Then, you wouldn't have to have "special circumstance" vessels, you'd have light, maneuverable shuttlecraft capable of both combat, cargo transport, and troop transport.

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:47 pm

KejalBuris wrote: Unfortunately, the "original specs" were probably as flawed as the ones presented in the DS9TM - which put the thing's length at an insane 381.87 meters! So, yes, it would be "better" - but it would be better altogether to simply replace the fighters with a Danube-type runabout.

This is a large part of why I suggest a Runabout instead of fighters. They seem to fit more into the mold you're discussing. Then, you wouldn't have to have "special circumstance" vessels, you'd have light, maneuverable shuttlecraft capable of both combat, cargo transport, and troop transport.
I like this idea. Since a Danube class shuttle is a bit larger, the ship would probably only have space for one, but DS9 did show that those ships were able to take on a lot of different missions. I'll adjust this in the specs.
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Mike
Admin
Admin

Post by Mike » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:01 pm

I like this change. I like it a lot.