Steamrunner Class

Archived discussions of all specifications which have been approved and put into use by the Research & Development Department

Moderator: Clement

Blackcat
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Steamrunner Class

Post by Blackcat » Sun May 02, 2010 11:33 pm

This Class will be posted for comments for at least 1 week, and will remain up for comment for no longer than 2 weeks. During this time you are free to comment on the specs and deck listings and we'll work to come to agreeable specifications.

New Tech:
None

Steamrunner Class Starship
Category: Light Explorer

Steamrunner

Expected Duration: 50 years
Time Between Resupply: 2 years
Time Between Refit: 5 years

Personnel
Officers: 50
Enlisted Crew: 160
Marines: 0
Passengers: 10
Maximum (Evacuation) Capacity: 400

Speed
Cruising Velocity: Warp 6.5
Maximum Velocity: Warp 9
Emergency Velocity: Warp 9.6 (for 8 hours)

Dimensions
Length: 244 meters
Width: 160 meters
Height: 40 meters
Decks: 10

Auxiliary Craft
Shuttlebays: 1
Runabouts
Talon Scout: 1
Shuttles
Type 10 Shuttle: 1
Type 11 Shuttle: 1
Type 9 Shuttle: 1

Armament
Defensive Systems
Ablative Armor
Structural Integrity Field
Phasers
Type VIII Array: 6
Shielding Systems
Auto-Modulating Shields
Metaphasic Shielding
Standard Shielding System
Torpedoes
Burst-Fire Torpedo Launcher: 3
Photon Torpedoes: 180
Quantum Torpedoes: 140
Tri-Cobalt Device: 4

Deck Listing:

Deck Description
1 Captain's Ready Room, Main Bridge
2 Briefing/Conference Room, XO's Office
3 Officers Quarters, VIP/Guest Quarters, Diplomatic Facilities, Transporter Room 1, Shuttlebay Observation Deck
4 Sickbay, CMO's Office, Science Labs 1-6, CSO's Office, Arboretum, Shuttlebay (floor), FCO's Office, Computer Core Upper/Entrance/Control
5 Lounge, Holosuites 1-3, Recreation facilities, NCO Quarters, Cargo Bay 1, Cargo Transporters 1, Computer Core Middle, Docking Ports
6 Warp Core, Engineering (upper), Crew Quarters, Transporter Room 2, Torpedo Launchers and controls, Cargo Bay 2, Cargo Transporters 2, Computer Core Lower
7 Warp Core, Engineering (main), CEO's Office, Brig/Security, CTO's office, Phaser Range, Ship's Armoury, Torpedo/Probe Magazine, Aux. Weapon Controls, Navigation Deflector Control room, LRS Control room
8 Warp Core, Engineering sub-access, Deuterium Storage, Life Support Systems, Navigation Deflector , LRS Array
9 Navigation Deflector, Anti-Matter Storage Pods
10 Waste Processing/Recycling Center, Warp Core Ejection Hatch
nnn >^o.o^< nnn
ImageImage

Enmui Darkheart
Crewman
Crewman

Re: Steamrunner Class

Post by Enmui Darkheart » Sun May 02, 2010 11:37 pm

Whoa I'd love one of these... >_>

:shock: applies.

edit

if there are no objections, could we push this one through with a basic set of specs and then readjust if there are complaints?

Varela
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

Post by Varela » Mon May 03, 2010 2:30 am

I object.

Blackcat
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Blackcat » Mon May 03, 2010 2:59 am

The specs have to follow the process, so far the process has been a minimum of 1 week of discussions, and if at that time there have been no meaningful discussions for 3 days, then they get put in officially, with a 2 week deadline. If at the 2 weeks, the discussion is still going on, I'll put what we have on the drawing board before the council for a vote. If the vote passes, it gets posted, otherwise, it starts all over again.

I don't do favoritism. You may have noticed that I put up the Wildcat Class, which I could have avoided since the council voted me in, ship and all, but I want it fair across the board for everyone.

Todd
nnn >^o.o^< nnn
ImageImage

Enmui Darkheart
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Enmui Darkheart » Mon May 03, 2010 9:26 am

Fair enough...time to find faults then

For a steamrunner (name implies slow) being a light explorer, it goes one hell of a speed.

Also, light explorer means often no deep space missions and rare combat. A reduction in Quantums might be a brilliant idea.

For such a small ship, engineering is unlikely to be on three decks...and it's unlikely to have particularly large shuttles, the ship being quite small itself.

(Steamrunners in Startrek Armada were tiny).

Since it's a small vessel it's also unlikely to have three holosuites (I might ask for a particular type of tech to replace them, two of them).

Does the ship have turbo lifts? (lazy)...

and that's all I wanna rip out so far.

Blackcat
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Blackcat » Mon May 03, 2010 2:26 pm

The name Steam-runner comes from it being the test bed for a Slipstream Drive, so not as slow as you would think. Although the slipstream drives were a failure and replaced with standard warp drives, there were certain holdovers in that refit, for one, the larger warp core was kept, which is why it still is pretty fast, and why there are 3 levels of engineering.

The Talon Scout would be the largest shuttle... A Type 9 shuttle was removed to make room for it, not an exact match, but not enough of a difference to cause problems for the most part.

Holosuites are smaller versions of holodecks... so fitting 3 of those instead of 2 holodecks isn't so farfetched.

Yes, it's a relatively small ship.

I think the people who made the ship did go overboard on the expendable ammo overall...

how does 120/80/2 sound?

Todd
nnn >^o.o^< nnn
ImageImage

Enmui Darkheart
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Enmui Darkheart » Mon May 03, 2010 2:32 pm

Considering it is supposed to be called a streamrunner I can see the reason, I did a little research myself.

Yep the ammo sounds a lot better.

Enmui Darkheart
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Enmui Darkheart » Wed May 05, 2010 2:27 pm

After doing further research, DITL, ACTD and a ST Encyclopedia, I think that the Steam runner has been over armed. It's unlikely to be able to carry such a compliment, let alone fire them.

rikere
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by rikere » Thu May 06, 2010 1:35 am

Nah, I think its pretty good, but I haven't thoroughly researched the steam-runners... For its size though, it seems right, maybe just 140 photons...
Postings:
USS Glenn - Will Warden - FNN Liason

Blackcat
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Blackcat » Thu May 06, 2010 2:03 am

The 6 Type VIII Arrays give it a fairly complete firing arc, but no more than 2 really cover any area. If it had Type IX, X or XI, I'd agree that it would be overpowered, but with a 3 level warp core reaction chamber, I wouldn't say it's overpowered at all.

The 3 torpedo launchers (2 forward- 1 ea p/s, 1 aft) give it a good topside firing arc, but not very good for the bottom.

Overall, I'd have to disagree that it's overpowered.

Todd
nnn >^o.o^< nnn
ImageImage

Return to “Approved Specifications”