PROPOSED Regula-class Starbase Specifications

Archived discussions of all specifications which have been approved and put into use by the Research & Development Department

Moderator: Clement

KejalBuris
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

Re: PROPOSED Regula-class Starbase Specifications

Post by KejalBuris » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:03 pm

Personally, I'd say that the lower pods could be seen akin to the Nebula-class pods - in fact, maybe that's where they got the idea. Instead of strictly mission-specific pods, the Regula Pods are meant to be attached at time of manufacture, and only replaced when the whole base is being refit. For instance, one could be a colony supply pod (farming and so forth), another a science pod (labs and sensors), a weapons pod for border patrol, etc.

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:57 pm

I kinda like that idea. That would help explain why some of the stations are different.
Fleet Admiral Emily Quinn
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Blackcat
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Blackcat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:13 am

Well, Bases are meant to be around a long time, so I wouldn't necessarily say at time of manufacture only. Over time, the station might see different needs, and those needs can evolve over time. Adding this or that, with PFA approval, isn't a bad thing. It's like a military base- over time they add new facilities and tear others down.

Say a mother-load of Dilithium is found on a nearby planet. Processing facilities might be added, along with some extra defenses.

Or a new trade route is opened with a previously hostile race. You might want better diplomatic and docking facilities.
nnn >^o.o^< nnn
ImageImage

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:38 am

Perhaps the later versions of the station, such as SB375, is the standard for the class then, and the cylinders are one of the types of purpose-specific modifications which can be added? I wouldn't suggest using the cylinders as a be-all and end-all of the customisation, though. I don't see how one of those would be good for absolutely every possible use, afterall. Perhaps have the bottom of the station constructed to easily have these modules connected to them - much like there'd be a standard template for an airlock connection.

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:10 am

That was more or less my thought too, that the base version of the station is what we saw with SB375. In addition to the lower pods being adaptable, I think the upper pods can be changed as well. I would think that they would be constructed in a module design that could house lab space, weapons, or any number of different systems.
Fleet Admiral Emily Quinn
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Return to “Approved Specifications”