PROPOSED Changes to Starship Categories

Archived discussions of all specifications which have been approved and put into use by the Research & Development Department

Moderator: Clement

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:19 pm

The following categories are proposed to replacing the outdated categories in IFS. Please offer any comments to these categories you may have. Thank you.

--------------------------------------------------------
Carriers: - A starship operating primarily for operating fighter craft for both space and planet operations
Lexington Class

Corvettes: - A fast, lightly armed warship, smaller than a destroyer
Sabre Class
Steamrunner Class
Defiant Class
Sentinel Class

Cruisers: - A type of large warship that is moderately armed and armored
Akira Class
Excalibur Class
Prometheus Class
Nebula Class
New Orleans Class
Cheyenne Class

Destroyers: - A small, fast, highly maneuverable warship
Centaur Class
Wildcat Class
Miranda Class

Ships-of-the-Line: - A larger, multi-functional starship. Ships-of-the-Line are often used as flagships, and are well suited for both combat and exploration
Excelsior Class
Excelsior Refit Class
Ambassador Class
Galaxy Class
Sovereign Class
Vesta Class

Explorers: - A starship primarily acting in an exploration and scientific role, usually less suited for combat
Intrepid Class
Norway Class
Luna Class
Nova Class

Support: - A starship primarily acting in a support role, such as transport, freighter, or medical
Olympic Class
Fleet Admiral Emily Quinn
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: PROPOSED Changes to Starship Categories

Post by FruitLoop » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Personally, I think Nebula needs to be under Ships of the line or Explorers. They have weapons, yes, but their pod on the back is usually suited to exploration and science missions and they have rather large science labs and are very comparable to a Galaxy class. The Nebula is actually the ultimate mutli-functional ship because the pod can be changed to either a tactical pod or a medical one.

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:00 am

Enor wrote:Personally, I think Nebula needs to be under Ships of the line or Explorers. They have weapons, yes, but their pod on the back is usually suited to exploration and science missions and they have rather large science labs and are very comparable to a Galaxy class. The Nebula is actually the ultimate mutli-functional ship because the pod can be changed to either a tactical pod or a medical one.
That's a very good point, and by our definition above, I'm inclined to agree with you. I've moved it.
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:04 am

Perhaps Ambassador would be ship of the line too. The design seems an obvious precursor to the Galaxy, after all

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by FruitLoop » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:06 am

Yeah, it was a precursor to the Galaxy, but it was also meant as an explorer and isn't overly weaponed.

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:23 am

True, but the same thing could be said about the Excelsior. That was another one that I was having some difficulty placing.
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Blackcat
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Blackcat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:24 am

I'd also like to have it that neither ships of the line and explorers wouldn't have marines.
nnn >^o.o^< nnn
ImageImage

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:38 am

Currently, only the Nebula and the Ambassador are in that list and have marines listed in the specs. Are you suggesting that we remove marines from those classes, or that we change their categories. Personally, I'm fine with taking away the marines, but I didn't write the original specs. Does anyone else have a preference?
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by FruitLoop » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:54 am

Personally, I see the larger ships having marines since they are larger and have the space. Ships of the line tend to be bigger and as such tend to have more space and more kinds of missions for marines than explorers. But I completely agree for the Intrepid and other explorers.

Blackcat
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Blackcat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:50 pm

Ships of the line have been implied to not have marines, in the form of the Constitution (historic), Galaxy and Sovereign.

In all the episodes we've seen, not once were marines shown. In order to make marines and fighters "canon", we must make certain inferences. I know this was before your time, but the PFA made the decision between themselves during my tenure as R&D Director. We are not other fleets that tack marines onto each and every vessel "to give maximum role playing possibilities" when having them aboard flies in the face of what IS known.

Don't you think that if Picard would have had marines aboard, he wouldn't have used them at least once in all those episodes?

Kirk as well would have used them, I mean c'mon, the guy had them use the ship's phasers on wide dispersal stun to knock out large sections of the population of a planet.

While this is only implied evidence, it's a decision to stick to. If the CO's want marines or fighters, they can take a class that has them.

As for the Ambassadors and Nebula, they are currently listed as heavy cruisers, why did they get re-lumped? Because people wanted them moved, if they are moved, they would have to be re-worked to fit the new classification, good-bye marines, good-bye fighters. That's why they were cruisers and should STAY cruisers.
nnn >^o.o^< nnn
ImageImage

Return to “Approved Specifications”