[Proposed] Century-class Specifications

Archived discussions of all specifications which have been approved and put into use by the Research & Development Department

Moderator: Clement

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

[Proposed] Century-class Specifications

Post by Alex » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:17 am

Please see the link below for the proposed Century class specifications. As usual, the specifications are now open to discussion.

Century Class
Fleet Admiral Emily Quinn
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Confusedfire
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: [Proposed] Century-class Specifications

Post by Confusedfire » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:12 am

I like it, but I think that it should have a couple TriCobalt devices in her projectile compliment.
Captain Neela Izal
Commanding Officer TF37
Commanding Officer SB-812

"Spot this is down...down is good!"

- LCDR Data

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by FruitLoop » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:30 am

Actually, I once saw an image with them in scale, and it is supposed to be quite a bit bigger than the sovereign, though the same general shape. It's supposed to be like twice as big. It's like the ronin and nebula classes; it's an upgraded version that is not going to overtake the old. The sovereign is still going to be one of the science workhorses. From what I heard about the century from others, it was supposed to have the science and diplomatic abilities of a sovvie with the kick ass of a marine carrier. Now, I know that we don't put marines standard on ship classes usually, but I think this one we should simply because of its size. It's freaking huge. Not having marines on a ship that size makes no sense. I nominate it as a cruiser because of its sciencey capabilities.

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:11 am

Confusedfire wrote:I like it, but I think that it should have a couple TriCobalt devices in her projectile compliment.
I intended it to, I just missed it somehow when I went down my list. I added some.
Enor wrote:Actually, I once saw an image with them in scale, and it is supposed to be quite a bit bigger than the sovereign, though the same general shape. It's supposed to be like twice as big. It's like the ronin and nebula classes; it's an upgraded version that is not going to overtake the old. The sovereign is still going to be one of the science workhorses. From what I heard about the century from others, it was supposed to have the science and diplomatic abilities of a sovvie with the kick ass of a marine carrier. Now, I know that we don't put marines standard on ship classes usually, but I think this one we should simply because of its size. It's freaking huge. Not having marines on a ship that size makes no sense. I nominate it as a cruiser because of its sciencey capabilities.
What sources did you use? I looked up several versions of this ship used by other fleets to get a judge of the size and went with something similar. If I remember right, they were all a little larger than a Sovvie, but most of them had a similar number of decks. One in particular was larger in all three dimensions, but had two fewer decks. If we are going to put marines on this ship, then it should be reclassified as a cruiser, or even a carrier by the way you're suggesting. If that's the case, then I also think it should lose some of the science and/or diplomatic abilities. I know this has come up several times, but I am not opposed to putting marines on ships. I know I've been accused of that at least a couple of times. I just think marines don't belong on certain kind of ships. If we want another warship, then it should be built like a warship, and not another multi-role ship. I'm not going to put marines on a ship because it's big, the Galaxy for instance. I'm going to put marines on a ship if it is a combat vessel, and it makes sense for there to be marines.

I would still like to see your sources. When you say twice as big, can you be a little more specific? Do you mean double all of the dimensions, or do you mean double the volume. Those are two very different things.

Also, cruisers aren't going to be very heavy in the science department. That's part of why they are cruisers. Ships well decked out with science labs are going to be Explorers or Ships-of-the-Line. Once again, the more combat oriented ships are just that.
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by FruitLoop » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:18 pm

I was talking to someone who was on Deviant Art with a fanfic and renders. He talked to the person who created the mesh and I don't know who that person talked to. Then again, he may have been doing it his own way because it was a fanfic, but he said everyone on Deviant Art was doing it that way. I'd be interested why the DA people are doing it one way and the fleets are doing it another. It was supposed to be about 38 decks. That's why it's so much bigger in one picture compared to the sovvie that's also in the picture. And the category...that's going to be tough. Because it was supposed to be a combination of the two. Science labs but with the tactical power of a cruiser.

Joe_Rhimer
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Joe_Rhimer » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 pm

I'd put my faith in other fleets/trek resources over some artist on DA. They tend to take a lot of liberties, I've noticed.

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:22 am

Also, I took another look at the very renders you gave me. The classic Star Trek scaling problem shows up here. I didn't count them, but there are way fewer than 38 rows of windows. Unless there are only windows are every other deck, then it's not that big. And like Mr. Rhimer said, I'd tend to agree with the other fleets over DA anyway, and I didn't really agree with their numbers either. Like I said, one listed it as longer, wider, and taller than the Sovereign, but only 22 decks.

To me, this ship design is way too similar to the Sovereign. They're practically the same ship, only one is just a little newer.

Also, it was mentioned that they might have been doing something different because it was a fanfic. Actually, this ship isn't canon, so it's technically fanfic regardless.
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by FruitLoop » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:36 am

Well, aside from the size issue, it was supposed to have science labs but be a tactical powerhouse and that was supposed to be the difference. Anyway, w/e. I'm mainly GAC for a reason. :P

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:09 am

About the idea of leaving the weapons pretty similar to how they are now, maybe reducing them slightly, and then emphasizing more of of the science labs with additional labs, sensor pallets, etc., essentially like a "heavy explorer"? I think a heavily armed science ship is a little ridiculous, but with a few tweaks it could be a new explorer class. That would help explain some of the similarities to the Sovereign. It would be a lot bigger than the other explorers, but it could be designed for more long term missions. It's just another idea to see what people think. I'm not necessarily biased towards it, but I do feel like this ship is too similar to the Sovereign as its written. We've added a few new cruisers lately, and the Vesta was the new Ship-of-the-Line, but the Explorers have not gotten much love. The Sovereign class still feels too new to me to have such a similar ship already built to closely resemble it. There just doesn't feel like enough differences or improvements have been made. I suppose we could say that the Century class is an update to the Sovereign based on developments from the Vesta program, but a Sovereign refit would make more sense to me than a whole new class. If the Century was meant to be a science powerhouse, then maybe it would be better as an actual science powerhouse?
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by FruitLoop » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:55 pm

Wow...I think that could have been handled better. Please word things to be a bit less aggressive and antagonistic. It would go a long way to having what you want to say received in a much better light. :)

Return to “Approved Specifications”