The Treaty of Bajor and the Gamma Quadrant

The Outer Office of the Galactic Anthropology Committee is the place to ask questions, propose fleet canon, and anything else which you need to post to discuss with the GAC.

Moderator: Clement

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

The Treaty of Bajor and the Gamma Quadrant

Post by Alex » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:52 pm

Ok, so I've been thinking more about the end of the Dominion War (mostly because it's been kinda slow at wotk and I've been working on my article). Something that I have been thinking about tackling is the Treaty of Bajor, which is not expanded on at all in canon or semi-canon. Here's what we know: the female changeling is in Federation custody for war crimes, reestablishment of the Cardassian Union as an independent sovereign state, end of Cardassian occupation by Dominion forces and beginning of occupation by Allief forces, and the withdrawal of all Dominion forces to the Gamma Quadrant. That much I'd clear.

What is not clear is what kind of peace is made with the Breen. Is there a DMZ or neutral zone formed? Did they lose anything to the allies? What about the Cardassian DMZ? Does it still exist? I assume that the Romulans eventually give back worlds that they recaptured to the Federation, but is that neutral zone where it's always been? And what of the Gamma Quadrant? This whole mess started when Starfleet started to explore. Are they given that freedom? Since the war wad fought for the Alpha Quadrant, I'm not sure if that's the case. Maybe it is since Odo cured them, but it was the Federation's fault the Founders were even sick. I just don't know if access to the Gamma Quadrant was allowed, or if the Dominion reinforced their side. Don't forget that the Dominion is still very powerful on the other side of the wormhole.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'd really like to explore this part of Trek history since it could affect what we have going on, either politically or setting. Consider this an open discussion, not just about what I mentioned, but any other ideas that someone may have.
Fleet Admiral Emily Quinn
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Williams
Admin
Admin

Re: The Treaty of Bajor and the Gamma Quadrant

Post by Williams » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:41 pm

I would imagine that the Breen would have likely been forced back into their original territory. The treaty marked the Breen among the Dominion as losers, which meant that they wouldn't have been spared any repurcusions, but I don't think that the war ever even touched upon their own space, so there wouldn't have been any Breen worlds up for contestment. One thing that I had considered that they might have done, is kept a few former Cardassian worlds, but then I'm not sure if the Federation (being the goody-goodies that we are) would have allowed that in the treaty. As for a DMZ or neutral zone... I don't know. I imagine (without taking a look at the map) that the Breen are far enough away from where the front lines are that they likely wouldn't need to bother worrying much about Starfleet getting too close... plus they are known as a paranoid race, so I don't know if they'd like the idea of having a stretch of space on their border that wasn't theirs to control and patrol. But they are a difficult one to try and guess about.

I'd like to think that maybe the Cardassian DMZ was absorbed into the Federation. A lot of the worlds were originally Federation colonies anyway. and Cardassia wasn't really in a state at the end of the war to be able to provide for their own colonies, or put up much of a fight if the Federation wanted those colonies back anyway. Plus, there's the fact that the treaty says that Cardassia was essentially to be under occupation by the Allies, and their economy is going to be propped up a lot by ours, so I reckon the border would have far less control over the ingress of our ships than it might have previously had.

The Rommies I reckon would have likely gone back into their own space, considering that they're meant to be on good terms with us. Afterall, there wasn't any mention of worlds being promised to them in return for them joining the war, so they can't hold the Federation to anything like that.

The Gamma Quadrant is a different story, I think. I don't think that the Dominion were as strong there as they used to be - they did have an entire fleet gobbled up by the wormhole and never spat back out again afterall... I'd have to imagine that they would have put a lot of their forces into conquering the alpha quadrant, considering they'd managed to get most of the Gamma Quadrant complacent enough that the mere sight of a Jem'Hadar would be enough to keep them in line. I also reckon that Odo would have had a lot of influence on the nature of the Changelings, and maybe changed their stance quite a bit on how they do things. I'd like to think that Starfleet would be able to go back there... but perhaps there was a proviso in the treaty that said we weren't to send any large starships through for X number of years? Maybe it could have been put into the treaty that the Gamma side of the wormhole is Allied territory... afterall, it would be better for Starfleet to be able to defend it from the other end, and the Dominion were beat. They couldn't exactly contest it much more than the Breen could.

Those are just my thoughts at least :)

Caeslius
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by Caeslius » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:25 am

I've often wondered about the political fallout of the war and the Treaty of Bajor - being a political nerd that's what I do! I haven't read any of the DS9 relaunch novels, so I don't know if they answer any of the questions, but in any case I have a few thoughts.

On the question of the Gamma Quadrant, I always thought it would be interesting if the Allies established the space immediately on the otherside of the wormhole to be a West Berlin-style enclave under joint control of the Federation, Klingons and Romulans. The possibilities for conflict and great storytelling are obvious, but more than that it would also create a buffer zone to keep the Dominion out of the Alpha Quadrant. But it would probably also have the side-effect of a bit of empire building by all three allies in the Gamma Quadrant, with claims on this system and that system inevitably being made. And, naturally, the ever-present threat of the Dominion not too far away.

As for the Romulans, I reckon they'd have been a bit crafty at the time. Suppose their forces occupied a few systems that were at least nominally controlled by the Federation before the Dominion swooped in and were then booted out by the Romulans. If I were the Romulan Senate, I wouldn't be in a hurry to give up those systems, particularly if they had some resource value there. So the solution from the Romulan point of view would be to push for 'matters of territorial control between allied powers' to be excluded from the Treaty of Bajor in favour of them being dealt with bilaterally between the powers involved. This then forces the Federation to negotiate directly with the Romulans on the matter of the handful of systems they occupy and the Romulans would then be able to use those bilateral negotiations to push for concessions elsewhere.
ImageImage

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:17 am

I think you're right about the Breen. They certainly wouldn't get to keep any Cardassian worlds, but since the war never reached their borders, it wouldn't really be right for the Allies to take any systems. Perhaps there were some trade sanctions in place? I doubt that Breen space would be occupied since the Allies never invaded, and the Breen entered the war late. Another possibility was a forced reduction in arms?

I also like the idea of the Cardassian DMZ going back to the Federation, but I can see the Klingons wanting claim to some of that area too since they fought over that territory the longest. But like Caeslius mentioned, maybe there was a separate treaty between the Allies later that officially divided up the spoils. That would explain how the treaty was put together so quickly. Memory Alpha did mention a separate peace between the Federation and the Romulans later, so a separate treaty doesn't really stretch canon too much. Maybe that can be a separate article from the Treaty of Bajor and mentioned in the Dominion War article. Until that treaty is ratified, which could take much longer than the Treaty of Bajor, the former DMZ could just be considered occupied territory. As far as the quick turnaround on the terms of the Treaty of Bajor, maybe something should be added to the DW article that mentions a meeting taking place between the Allied leaders to decide what to do with the Dominion allies once the war was over, kinda like the real life Yalta conference.

I'm all for creating a buffer zone on the other side of the wormhole. Of course doing so brings up a few questions too. Who would lay claim to the territory? Obviously all three sides would want territory to call their own, but I know the Romulans would have concerns with either the Federation or the Klingons acting as administrators. The territory could be split into three, kinda like Germany after WWII, with an area immediately around the wormhole that was claimed by no one. Then again, Bajor might want to lay claim to that territory since they claim the wormhole. However, once they join the Federation, it makes things a little murky. If the Federation and the Romulans are not as close as they seem, which seems to be the case, then they might have problems having territory so far away from Romulus, especially if they don't have free access to the wormhole area. I can see them wanting access through at least a corridor of Federation space to get there. Also, would there be a starbase on the Gamma side? I can see Bajor protesting since a larger, newer, and sexier space station on the other side would cause Deep Space 9 to lose it's significance. I'm all for figuring out a plan for the Gamma Quadrant, but these are just a few big questions that popped into my head as I was writing this.

By the way, Caeslius, if you are a political nerd and are interested in exploring some other aspects of the Trek universe, the GAC is always looking for members. If you're interested, let me know and we can talk about it in more detail. And if you're not interested in writing, that's fine too. We always appreciate feedback in discussions like these. I find these types of topics interesting too, especially when they deal with the changing political fallout from wars and major events.
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Caeslius
Crewman Apprentice
Crewman Apprentice

Post by Caeslius » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Sign me up! I have work and other commitments which take up more of my time than I'd like (like everybody), but I'd be happy to help out.

The Gamma Quadrant question is so fraught! Which is probably why I find it so interesting ;). There are so many possible outcomes, and really anything short of a canon outcome explaining what happens there will mean that we will continue to speculate. But that's half the fun.

On reflection, I think it's probably likely that any agreement on GQ would involve no official presence from any of the allied powers in the Gamma Quadrant. It would still be open for exploration and scientific missions, but no power is permitted to establish a permanent presence there. Memory Beta (not canon, I know) talks about exploration of the GQ opening up after the Dominion War and even a joint UFP-Romulan mission. So maybe this is a likely scenario?

Or maybe a hardline Federation Government might permit unarmed vessels from the other powers access to the wormhole for exploratory and scientific purposes, but deny any access for military or colony ships in order to thwart attempts at establishing a presence on the other side, all the while it goes about securing all the prime real estate it can. "You Klingons and Romulans are free to colonise any planet you like in the Gamma Quadrant, but you can't use OUR wormhole to get there." But this is far less likely :)

On another note, let's talk reparations! Do you think the 24th Century has moved beyond such punitive nonsense? I think the Klingons and Romulans might have tried to impose some kind of cost on the Dominion and its allies as part of the Treaty of Bajor. I'm sure there'd be sections of the Bajoran Government who wouldn't mind sticking the knife into Cardassia while they're down, too.
ImageImage

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:53 pm

If you have any questions about what we do, let me know, but in a nutshell we write all those lovely articles that show up on the PF Wiki, such as my Dominion War article that I’ve referenced from the other thread. I do plan to create a R&D page since there isn’t one on the wiki. Since R&D and GAC merged, it would make more sense. But if you have any ideas for something that you want to work on, let me know. I think I’m going to create a list of works in progress or planned on the wiki page so people can see what we are working on or for proposing new ideas. Right now we don’t really have assigned projects; people just work on whatever and then send it to the forums. You can check out the R&D standing orders (which are on the wiki) if you want to see the process. But basically new articles go the forums where people can read them and make suggestions or comments. If no further changes are needed after a set amount of time, then it becomes an official GAC article, where if it is important enough to the Fleet as a whole it can be nominated for Fleet Canon. Anyway, I’m digressing. We can talk more about this in private messages if you’d like.

I think you’re right about the agreement would involve no official presence from any of the Alpha/Beta Quadrant powers. The Federation would certainly not want a potential military presence right on the other side of the wormhole, and the other powers would not want to be so cut off from their reinforcements in case things go bad. But maybe they would want to colonise the Gamma Quadrant so that they have territory away from each other? Like you said, there may be some empire building happening on the other side. But canon suggests that neither the Romulans or the Klingons would be interested in spreading out over there.

Let’s start with the Klingons. Memory Alpha suggested that the Klingon Empire would be setback at least a decade while they rebuilt their fleet. I don’t remember that being explicitly mentioned (it might have been, but it’s been a while since I’ve seen the DS9 finale), but that makes sense. The Klingons have been fighting the longest, remember. They started by invading Cardassia and going to war with the Federation. When the Dominion first came into town, the Federation had not joined the war, while the Klingons were fighting both the Federation and the Dominion/Cardassian alliance. Even after the Federation joined in, there were times both early on and late when the Klingons were bearing the brunt of the combat, such as after the Breen entered the war and the Federation and the Romulans were struggling to develop a countermeasure to the Breen weapon. It makes sense that they suffered heavily, and it makes sense that they would seek heavy reparations, especially since the wars against the Cardassians and the Federation were instigated by the Dominion. They would probably demand something from the Breen as well. The big question here is what? Was money really a factor? What about resources that they could use to rebuild their fleet? They would spend some time occupying Cardassia, so they could potentially make use of their shipyards and resources to rebuild. But regardless of what reparations they may demand, I can’t see them wanting to really get deep into the Gamma Quadrant until they can rebuild the defense force back home.

How about the Romulans? Nemesis seems to suggest that the Neutral Zone is still in effect, and Picard’s reaction to being asked how he felt about a trip to Romulus (a line I personally love) is “With or without the rest of the fleet?” Four years after the end of the war and they don’t seem to be all buddy buddy with the Romulans. Even Romulan ale is illegal again. I can see this stemming from the peace treaty between the Allies when they divided up the spoils. Perhaps the Romulans wanted to keep the planets that they liberated, and the Federation made them give them back. Were they allowed to keep any Cardassian worlds? For that matter, were the Klingons. The Klingons did fight hard over the former DMZ. Would they really just want to give that territory over to the Federation willingly? But back to the Romulans. Perhaps the Romulan government was unhappy with what they felt they were getting out of the arrangement. Perhaps the Federation and Klingons got the better end of the deal (they had been fighting longer), and that caused tensions to escalate again. When it was all said and done, the Romulan borders changed very little, and they retreated back to behind the Neutral Zone, still upset with the Federation. Or another possibility, maybe the truth about the faked evidence that caused them to join the Allies got out, which understandably angered the Romulans. They would fall back on their untrusting ways and would probably bolster their defenses in case things heated up against the Federation or the Klingons. And then there’s the Hobus incident, which we elected as a Fleet to treat as a debilitating event that didn’t destroy Romulus, but severely crippled the planet. I don’t remember what year that was supposed to happen (has it happened already in PF time?) but that would likely keep them from expanding until they can rebuild.

The Federation, quite frankly, would be in the best position to really do anything in the Gamma Quadrant. With the peace treaty with the Klingons, perhaps they have unrestricted access to the wormhole, and they may start exploring and branching out after they rebuild. That could place a Klingon effort beginning around our current timeframe. The Romulans may fight for access, but they may not. If there is enough distrust between them, neither the Romulans nor the Federation would be keen on the idea. Maybe there could be a “corridor” that the Romulans are allowed to send ships through, with certain restrictions such as the ships must be uncloaked while in Federation space, but their isolationist attitude may keep them from going in the first place. That would still leave it as a mostly Federation affair. Perhaps it would be different if the wormhole was in neutral space, like it was when Bajor was independent, but once Bajor became part of the Federation, it muddied the whole issue. For that matter, maybe Bajor becoming a Federation member sparked some of the tensions since the wormhole was no longer neutral?

Maybe the wormhole is still Bajoran, but the Federation operates the immediate area as international waters, so to speak, unless they have a reason to shut it down. Maybe it’s like the Panama Canal; owned by the US but as far as I know open to anyone to use, though I’m sure there is a price for entry to pay for maintenance costs. Maybe the wormhole reaches such a status following the end of the war. I do, however, think it should go without saying that one of the restrictions against the losers is that the Dominion, the Cardassians, and the Breen are restricted from using the wormhole unless granted explicit permission by the Federation. That could easily be a part of the Treaty of Bajor, especially since the Dominion crossing over started the whole thing to begin with. It may be a limit on all ships, including freighters and explorers, from those respective empires, while the Allies and anyone else that wants to use it are free to come and go as they please. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a Federation-owned “Wormhole Zone”. It might upset the Romulans if the Federation patrols both sides, but the Gamma side patrol could just be to make sure that the other side remains open for passage.

But I do want to come back to the reparations. What kind of demands do you think they would have? Things that we would ask for in the 21st century might not be all that important in the 24th. I can see the Federation being lenient in their demands beyond things like maybe trade sanctions, wormhole access, and the occupation of Cardassia, but what would the Klingons and Romulans demand? Like I mentioned before, the Federation would probably protest them keeping captured worlds, so beyond money and resources, what might they want? As far as Bajor goes, I don’t know how much pull they would have in the negotiations. Did Bajor join the Federation before war’s end? I can’t remember. If not, then they had a non-aggression pact with the Dominion, and therefore really can’t make any claims to begin with since they weren’t involved in the fighting. Perhaps they only offered to host the treaty signing as a “neutral” party, but also because Deep Space 9 was critical to the early war effort. Of course once the Dominion could no longer use the wormhole, the station pretty much lost most of its strategic importance. Since the first shots of the war were fired at DS9, it was almost fitting that they war would officially end at DS9. But even though the Bajoran station was occupied by the Dominion, officially there was never a state of war between Bajor and the Dominion, which would not give them much power over negotiations. The Federation would probably consider their advice, but I can’t see them giving in to any extensive demands.

As evidence by the wall of text above, I’m really enjoying this discussion. I’m glad I brought it here instead of just making something up and calling it done. Right now I’m seeing two articles resulting from this: one for the Treaty of Bajor and one for a yet unnamed treaty between the Allies.
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:56 pm

A few ideas I had whilst reading your wall:

As far as the GQ goes, I think that the set-up on the other side would likely be a small outpost, and a region of joint-Allied-owned space. I believe Voyager mentioned a treaty between the major powers that prevented them expanding their territories into the other two quadrants - that treaty would need to be changed before official colonisation could begin there, but I would imagine that all three would - for now - be perfectly happy to have an outpost on the other side to police that area of space and stop the Dominion even approaching the wormhole. I also have a feeling that the Rommies at the very least would be more than happy for the Federation and maybe the Klingons to take on the actual work of doing that, and just signing up to send a ship or two if needed to protect the region.

Renegotiating the treaty to allow colonisation of the other side of the Wormhole could very well take years to achieve, and like you said above, would probably only be in the Federation's interest, so they'd have to work carefully to make sure they don't give too much away to get colonisation rights.

As for Bajor and the location of the treaty signing; DS9 was a forward command post for all three Allied powers during the war, but it was also the closest point within the Alpha Quadrant to the Wormhole; essentially giving the Allies a short timespan within which they can go 'sign this treaty. now we'll take your leader to prison; the rest of you don't let the door hit you on your way back'. Bajor, I think I remember reading, joined the Federation right around the same time, which means at least that the Admirals required for both signings only needed to travel once, but that's just a small consideration really.

What else did I think of while reading that... Oh yes, reparations. I think you're right in that the Federation wouldn't have asked much, but I also think that whatever was asked for by the other two would have been provided to all, except for things that were either opted out of specifically by one of the powers, or specific to territory, such as the wormhole. The Klingons I reckon would have wanted resources to help rebuild their fleets, but I also reckon they would have wanted whole starships and weapons platforms from the Cardies, leftover Dominion in the AQ and maybe even the Breen (which would be a tougher sell) to help them get a start at replacing their ships. They would probably want to replace them with their own ships soon enough, but it would give them something to fly around in whilst they built more BoPs and cruisters.

The Rommies I think would be far more interested in information. Schematics on the Breen Energy Dampening technology, on any cloaking field detection methods used by the Dominion, and things like that. That's also likely going to be information that the Federation and Klingons would be very interested in as well.

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:55 pm

I don’t remember the treaty mentioned by Voyager, but I believe you. That makes a lot of sense to me. Since colonization of the Gamma Quadrant would be of Federation interest, I can definitely see the Romulans, and possible the Klingons as well, highly resistant. The Federation may decide to give up on that fight, deciding that winning the colonization rights will be too costly for them in the Alpha Quadrant. Maybe that prompts them to refocus their efforts on the Galactic South? And I think I agree that the Rommies would be more than happy to let the other two do the work of patrolling the area. Why lift a finger when someone else will do it for free?

Deep Space 9 was a forward command post during the fighting, but it had still lost most of its strategic importance. Yes, it’s location made for a convenient staging area and command post, but without the threat of the Dominion coming through the wormhole it still lost a lot of value. Losing the station would just mean that the Allies commanded and staged from some other location. In the early part of the war, they had to regain the station to regain control of the wormhole, but that was it. Of course the real reason that the treaty was signed there was because that’s where the show was set, but we don’t deal in reality ;) But I think it would be a convenient central location for the treaty for everyone involved. Maybe not the Breen, but no one really cared if their delegation had to travel further. Their leaders may have been in Federation custody as well, but that was never made clear as far as I can recall. I think Bajor did officially join the Federation around the same time, but I don’t know details.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the reparations. I can’t believe I didn’t think of it before. What is the one thing that Romulus probably prizes above all else? Intelligence on their enemies. I agree that the Klingons would have wanted resources, and I can certainly see them taking ships, though they may be prideful enough that they wouldn’t want to tool around in a captured enemy ship. Then again, tooling around in a captured ship might be some sort of honor. In any case, the Romulans would have wanted information. I’m sure they would be against the Federation and Klingons also getting that intelligence, but it’s only fair. The Federation would use the cloak detecting system to develop a defense while the Romulans and maybe Klingons would want to develop a better cloak.

Another possibility is that the defeated would face large reduction in arms conditions, just like with Germany and Japan following WWII. The Allies would want to make sure that their enemies couldn’t come back easily to fight them again. The Breen would probably suffer the most from this since they would have to decrease the number of available ships. Cardassian and Dominion losses would have been heavy enough that the restrictions would probably be how many ships they are allowed to rebuild. Would they be able to put a restriction on the number of ships produced by the Dominion? What about the size of a standing army? We’ve wondered if they have been significantly weakened because the sent everything at the Alpha Quadrant, including the fleet of thousands of ships that disappeared in the wormhole, but wouldn’t they have still had some reserves back in their own territory? I’m just wondering because if the treaty was too harsh against the Dominion, and I’d understand if it was, would their angry neighbors or citizens take advantage of the weakened Dominion to attack or rebel? If there was an arms reduction clause included in the treaty, will the Federation send ships to enforce it?

What do you think about the idea of a “Wormhole Zone” created on each side of the wormhole, with the AQ side owned and operated by the Federation and the GQ side simply operated by the Federation? In promotion of exploration and free trade and all that, the Federation allows access to the wormhole with the stipulation of course that you must abide by Federation rules. And maybe the Cardassians, Breen, and Dominion are restricted from use of the wormhole unless accompanied by at least one of the Allies?
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

CameronM
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by CameronM » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:02 pm

Hey there, I don't know if this counts as necromancy or not; but I have read all the entries on this thread and I think that I have come up with a decent start to the look of the actual Treaty of Bajor Document.

The Treaty of Bajor

No 747: The Cardassian Union, The Dominion, The Breen Confederacy, The Romulan Star Empire
The Klingon Empire, The United Federation of Planets, etc:

Here by declare a formal cessation of hostilities and accept all terms laid forth
in this agreement Stardate 52416.3

Article 1

1. The Cardassian Union, Breen Confederacy and the Dominion are immediately to surrender all arms
to The Romulan Star Empire, The Klingon Empire and the United Federation of Planets (here in
known as The Allies collectively) And are to immediately withdraw from Allied space.

2. The Dominion are to effective immediately with draw all Jem'Hadar forces back to the Gamma
Qaudrant through the Bajoran Wormhole.

3. The Dominion will end its vassalage of the Cardassian Union immediately, thus rendering
The Cardassian Union an independant political entity.

4. The Cardassian Union is to concede authority to the Allied Occupation forces for a
reconstruction period of 5 years.

Article 2

1. The Allies will immediately release all Prisoners of War to their respective Governments.

2. The Dominion, The Cardassian Union, The Breen Confederation will immediately retun all
Allied Prisoners of War back to their respective Governments.

3. The entity known to the Allies as the Female Changeling will be taken into custody by the
United Federation of Planets where she will stand trial for War Crimes. She will be entitled
to full legal council.

4. The entity known as Thot Pran will be taken into custotdy by the United Federation of Planets
to stand trial for War Crimes. Thot Pran will be entitled to full legal council.

Article 3

1. The Cardassian Union will immediately disband and agree to never resume operations of the
intelligence agency known as The Obsidian Order.

2. The Cardassian Union will surrender the remainder of its entire warfleet to the Klingon
Empire as war reparations for the destruction suffered. Furthermore, they will divert no less
than 25% of their dilithium production and duranium production for the next 10 years to the
Klingon Empire.

3. The Cardassian Union is forbidden from constructing any Starships exceeding 1,500,000
Metric Tons. They are also forbidden from use of weapons that exceed a destructive yield of
15 Isotons

4. The Cardassian Union is forbidden of maintaining a fleet that operates at a total of
500,000,000 Metric Tons including support craft.

5. The Cardassian Union and The Dominion will immediately divulge all advanced cloak detection
methods and technologies to the Allies.

6. The Dominion will immediately release the most recent and accurate Starcharts of the Gamma
Quadrant to the Federation.

7. The Dominion will no longer engage in combat patrols with in 25 parsecs of the Bajoran Wormhole.
This will establish a Demilitarized Zone for the Dominion. The other side of the Demilitarized Zone
will extend 2 parsecs from the Bajoran Wormhole to establish the Federation Side of the line.

8. All operations with in the Demilitarized Zone will cease immediately by both parties. No
Operations may continue with out the express permission of both sides. Operations with in the
Demilitarized Zone will constitute an act of war and will be subject to all reprecussions with
in.

9. The Demilitarized Zone will stand as is for 20 years. At which time, delegates from all sides
will evaluate its usefulness in the current political climate.

10. The Breen Confederecy is to immediately disarm along the Cardassian border. Any further incursion
into Cardassian space uninvited will constitute an act of war and will be subject to all reprecussions
with in.

' Article 4

1. The area of space prior known as the Cardassian Demilitarized Zone will be given to the Federation.
Any disputes among the Allies will be settled in a seperate treaty.

2. The Klingon Empire may exert its De Jure claims on territories lost in former conflicts and
border redrawings. This treay supercedes all other traties, titles and claims on the territories
rendering all previous De Jure claims null and void.

3. The Breen Confederecy will surrender all Cardassian territory taken in the war back to the
Cardassian Union.

4. The Romulan Star Empire will keep any territories gained in their participation in the war.
Any disputes on the territory will be settled in a seperate treaty.

Article 5

1. Any failure to meet these demands or attempts to not make good on the terms in this document
will void all cease fires and cause a return to open hostilities.

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:20 am

I don't think it's a problem that you brought this one back to life. I've actually been meaning to bring it up again myself. The Treaty of Bajor was always a project that I was curious about completing.

I really like the way this is set up. I could imagine this being an actual treaty document. I could see there being a few minor changes. Allowing the Romulans to keep all captured territories might be tricky since I think it had mentioned somewhere that they had retaken Federation territory. Likely the Federation would want that back, so they would probably not be willing to put that into this treaty so carelessly. I'm thinking that it might be better to say something about all captured territories coming under Allied control, to be sorted out amongst themselves in a separate treaty. Maybe all of Article 4 could be rewritten to allow for that. It might have been mentioned later, I think in ST:Nemesis, that there was a separate treaty with the Romulans. That could have settled the matter of captured territory.

I'm also not sure about Thot Pran. I just watched the last few episodes of the series a few weeks ago (though I didn't realize that Thot Gor and Thot Pran were two different people until just now), and I don't recall the Breen ever committing war crimes. The crimes the Founder was on trial for was attacking the Cardassian civilians, though there might be others. The Breen did attack San Francisco, but that was a bit different since they were attacking a military target (Starfleet Command). All of their other actions seemed to be only military in action, and therefore not illegal with respect to the laws of war. Speaking of the laws of war, I'm wondering if those are established by the Second Khitomer Accords, as mentioned in ST:Insurrection with the banning of subspace weapons. But that's the topic for another thread.
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Return to “Galactic Anthropology Committee Outer Office”