The Treaty of Bajor and the Gamma Quadrant

The Outer Office of the Galactic Anthropology Committee is the place to ask questions, propose fleet canon, and anything else which you need to post to discuss with the GAC.

Moderator: Clement

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Re: The Treaty of Bajor and the Gamma Quadrant

Post by Alex » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:42 am

That's not at all a problem. I understand. Hopefully leaving your job was voluntary. I was a victim of budget cuts a few years ago, so I know that can be a little rough, especially if you're caught off guard.

I think that's pretty much where we were. I think any agreements reached between the allies would have been settled separately. I think this treaty was just to bring about an end to the fighting, and to set the terms for the losing side. The victors would settle the spoils later since that would not have been as pressing as making sure the Dominion and its allies wouldn't be able to attack again any time soon.
Fleet Admiral Emily Quinn
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

CameronM
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Post by CameronM » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:26 pm

Yeah I think realistically the dominion would not agree to disarmament. I think that they would go for a DMZ type situation.

Treymiar
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Treymiar » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:58 pm

Agreed, Cameron.

Just because the United States in effect lost a far distant war, it by no means meant that Hanoi was in any position to demand American disarmament and reparations. True, no surrender or armistice was signed, but hopefully I make my point.

I always wondered. Why didn't the Dominion simply mine their end of the wormhole, turning it into a murder hole with battleships, weapons platforms (less stupid ones), and mines? It seemed to work for DS9, (although I had to gag on the infinite power curve of self replicating mines). Maybe the wormhole magic bullet super beings would've magically made them go away like they did the Dominion fleet?

"Sometimes, people become enemies because they don't understand each other.
Other times, they become enemies because they do."

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Post by Alex » Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:20 pm

I agree that the Dominion would not willingly disarm. They would have too many enemies on the Gamma side of the wormhole to give up their defenses. But I could see them giving up their conquest of the Alpha Quadrant, and being forced to send all Dominion ships and troops back through the wormhole and being forced to stay on their side.

I was always curious to know if exploration of the Gamma Quadrant would be allowed to resume, or if the Dominion would insist that if they have to stay on their side, then the Federation has to stay on their own side as well. But that would mean that DS9 becomes a backwater outpost, only significant because of the history of being of short term strategic importance. Holding the wormhole entrance would still be important in case anyone else ever tries to attack, but would it still continue to be a transport and commercial hub?

Prior to the war, the Dominion probably didn't have any interest in mining their end since they wanted to send reinforcements through. And since we never saw their side of the wormhole until Odo went back home (though he probably had special permission), so who's to say that they didn't have it well guarded. They did have ships waiting to go through, at least early in the war. As far as I know, the war was fought over the Alpha Quadrant, and the allies never made any attempt to attack Dominion space, only Cardassian space. Admittedly, Cardassia was part of the Dominion, but you know what I mean.
Fleet Admiral Emily Quinn
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Return to “Galactic Anthropology Committee Outer Office”