A place for fleet staff to make announcements

Moderators: Pegasus Fleet Admiralty, Fleet Ops

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Monthly Update - December 2016

Post by Alex » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:00 am

Hi everyone!

It's getting to be that time of year, where our free time turns into shopping time, which turns into travel and family time. It's the time of year where simming slows down. As expected, we've been seeing a slower month in most of our sims as other commitments occupy our free time. Still, seven of our sims managed to meet and exceed the fleet posting requirements, with Stargate Cataclysm hitting over 4.17 posts per player. I'd also like to give a shout out to the Tomcat for surpassing two posts per player in November. The crew of the Tomcat has been working to get more active, and we're already seeing results. Great job! For the rest of the fleet, many of you did have fewer posts than normal, but this time of year always causes slowdowns. As we make our way through the holidays, I have no doubt that we'll hit the ground running in 2017!

The PFA has also been dealing with holidays, but we've still been discussing some new proposals. Before I get into those new proposals, I do want to remind the members of Pegasus Fleet that the PFA may be absent through much of the rest of the month. I know I will be busy the last two weeks of the month, starting December 16 and lasting until New Year's. Feel free to still contact me during that time, but be aware that I may be a bit slow on responses. I know the rest of the PFA will have similar engagements throughout the rest of the month. We'll still be around, but it's a busy time of year. So don't be surprised if it takes longer than usual to get a response from us.

If you remember from my special announcement last month, there is an opening in the PFA for the Director of Resources, and an opening for one of our Task Force COs. We've received multiple applications for both positions, and thanks to the high quality of all our applicants, we've been unable to decide on the single best candidate. We had hoped to have had made a decision before this month's meeting, but unfortunately we aren't there yet. I will send out another special announcement once we have made our decisions. I apologize for the delay.

By now many of you have probably already seen the discussion thread on the Forums about the proposed changes to the JAG department and our Judicial Code of Practice. There has been a lot of great feedback, and the PFA will be taking that feedback and putting together a revised proposal. Once that's available we will let you know.

In addition to the JAG proposal, we have been discussing a couple of other proposals that will lead to constitution changes and changes to the PFA. The first proposal came from our Director of Personnel and Recruiting Rear Admiral Collins, or as many of you know her, Emily. This proposal is to restructure her department into the Office of Public Relations (or OPR). The OPR was created with the Fleet's community in mind. This new office will tackle the duties of Fleet Personnel and Recruitment, but also officially incorporate communication, morale, community programs and activities, as well as extra-fleet relationships. The structure of the office's positions will also change. We would divide the deputy director position into two separate roles for personnel management and communicative services. What this means to the COs and the rest of the fleet is that Emily would add a second deputy to her team, and more focus can be put on our social media presence. For the most part, Fleet members will not see much difference in how the department functions are managed, though you may spend more time working with the deputies rather than Emily. But it will mean that we'll be putting a bigger role on expanding the Fleet's online presence, hopefully further aiding in recruitment and expanding our community.

The other major proposal is ultimately more of a cosmetic change than a functional one. Over the past couple of years, we have been working to put the community first, with the PFA as a body serving as Fleet administrators. I've often said that the only "power" we have is because of the community. Without all of you, our ranks mean nothing. Well, we've been discussing it more lately, and we've decided that we want to take things one step further. Even with the community, our ranks ultimately mean nothing. The PFA is committed to building this community and helping our players and sims thrive. We don't need ranks to meet that goal, and if anything, fancy ranks don't get us anything at the end of the day. We want the Fleet administrators to be driven to improve the fleet and see it grow, not just gain a fancy but meaningless title. That's not our purpose.

For that reason, we've proposed that we reorganize the Pegasus Fleet Admiralty into the Pegasus Fleet Executive Council (PFEC). Our roles and positions in the fleet will remain the same. We'll be serving the Fleet the same way we have always been, but instead we would be casting aside our admiral ranks and character names. We feel that they are meaningless in our community, and most of you know us by our names, and not as our characters. Naturally this change will require some adjustments to the constitution and other fleet policies to change the references to the PFA to the PFEC, but the normal operation of the Fleet and the community will not change. Our hope is that this change will help encourage people to reach out to us more often. We are in our positions not because we seek power, but because we love this community.

I'll be starting threads on the forums to discuss these changes in more detail prior to the vote.

That's pretty much all I have for this month. We'll be discussing these topics as well as others during our monthly meeting. The meeting will be held this Sunday, December 11, at 8:00 pm UTC (3:00 pm EST). It will be held in the #meeting channel of the Pegasus Fleet Discord server. As always, the monthly meeting is open to all current and prospective members of Pegasus Fleet, so if you know anyone that is interested in the Fleet, feel free to invite them to sit in. With the holiday and the short deadline between report due dates and the monthly meeting, next month's meeting will be held on the third Sunday of the month, January 15.

I hate to leave on a sad note, but I felt a special mention was necessary. As you may have heard yesterday the world lost a true hero. Astronaut John Glenn, the last surviving member of the Mercury 7, passed away yesterday at the age of 95. Glenn was not only the first American to orbit the Earth and later the oldest person to ever fly in space, but a long time senator and decorated fighter pilot. Growing up, my love of Star Trek naturally led to an interest in the space program, and I don't think it could ever be denied that astronauts are the among the bravest people who ever lived. He was one of the greats, and will be missed. Godspeed, John Glenn.

As always, Live Long and Prosper

------------------------------------------------
Sim of the Month Award
Gold Sim of the Month - Stargate Cataclysm
Silver Sim of the Month - USS Gladiator-A
Bronze Sim of the Month - Starbase 332

------------------------------------------------
Post of the Month Award
October's Post of the Month is a three-way tie:

"From There To Here" by Lieutenant JG Ryan North & Captain Tim Williams & Lieutenant Jean Reynard (USS Highlander)

"A Change of Uniform" by Lieutenant Colonel S'er'in'e & Samanthia Akiashiro (Starbase 332)

"And Then There Were Two..." by Crew Izzy Narr* & Crew Rhanda Dreaga (Star Wars: Rogue Moon)

For the November Post of the Month, follow the link below, check out the nominated posts by clicking "[READ HERE]" next to each nominee, and vote for your favorite.

Voting will close on Saturday, December 31, so be sure to make your voice heard. Commanding Officers, be sure to remind your crews so that we don't miss anyone.

Cast Your Vote Now!
Fleet Admiral Emily Quinn
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Return to “Fleet Announcements”