A place for fleet staff to make announcements

Moderators: Pegasus Fleet Admiralty, Fleet Ops

Alex
Pegasus Fleet CO
Pegasus Fleet CO

Monthly Update - January 2017

Post by Alex » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:54 am

Hey everyone!

Happy New Year! We survived another year and made it through the holiday slump. Even with the typical slowdown associated with the holidays, we still had eight sims above the 2.00 posts per player level, and another nine above 1.00 posts per player. Well done to all of our sims! I also want to give a special shout out to the USS Tomcat for their increased performance the last couple of months. Captain Somers has been putting a lot of effort into the sim, and it's showing, and they earned themselves the Bronze Sim of the Month award. Congratulations.

We do have a couple of new commanding officers to present this month. I'd like to give a warm welcome to Commander Avril Bassett of the Sentinel-class USS Guardsman. Also welcome to Commander Genix Kivyr Tolos of Oberon Base, who is new to the captain's chair. Welcome, both of you.

With my leave of absence taking up much of last month, and with the holidays keeping everyone busy, there was not a lot of new business for the PFA. But we did have several proposals going through approval by the commanding officers, and a couple of newer topics covered since I've been back this month.

As many of you are aware, over the latter half of December we had three proposals up for review and approval by the fleet commanding officers. The first was a change to the Department of Personnel and Recruiting to be changed to the Office of Public Relations. This proposal was passed unanimously. Admiral Collins new title is the Chief of Public Relations, and can be reached at cpr@pegsasusfleet.net. As stated in the proposal, the change is to facilitate a shift in priority from personnel and recruitment matters to community outreach and public relations, and expanding our social media presence. The functions of the office are unchanged, and the OPR staff will still be assisting with recruitment and crew transfers. It's mostly a name change to go along with the bigger community building focus.

The second proposal was a change to the fleet law structure, with the removal of the Judge Advocate General office and a change to the disciplinary appeal process. This proposal was passed with a 75% majority. Under normal circumstances any disciplinary action will still move up the chain of command, starting with the sim CO and working through the Fleet staff. If a player wishes to appeal a decision, it will move up through the chain of command. This is unchanged. The change is that a ruling by the PFCO is appealed, that appeal will not go to a JAG officer, but instead a panel of COs that are unaffiliated with the original incident to avoid a conflict of interest. Much of the "legal" aspects of the proceedings have been streamlined. Afterall, this is a game, not a legal body. We feel that the fleet COs are best suited to provide checks and balances against the PFA, and as a result of the CO vote, most of you do as well. The Fleet constitution and policies have been updated to reflect the approved changes.

The final proposal under review had the most surprising results. This proposal was to reorganize the PFA into the PFEC, or Pegasus Fleet Executive Council, and along with the name change, eliminate the use of ranks by the members of the PFA. The thought was that by eliminating the ranks, the PFA members would be eliminating an artificial barrier to working with members of the community since many people have expressed hesitation and intimidation when speaking with us. After the commanding officer vote was complete, 60% of the COs voted in favor of the change. However, per the Fleet constitution, and changes to that document must be approved by 66% of the COs who voted, meaning that this proposal was not passed. We will be retaining the PFA name and keeping our ranks. The members of the PFA do still feel strongly about this proposal, but we also feel strongly about the opinion of the fleet. We would like to propose a compromise. Since most of the feedback against the proposal was that the ranks were needed to maintain the command structure, we will retain our ranks. But we would like to keep our admiral characters along with our more personal identities linked together, hopefully to eliminate any concerns that anyone may have about approaching us. After all, simming is a game, a hobby, and no one should feel afraid to come to us with questions, comments, or concerns. We're here to play the game too. We can discuss this further at the meeting this weekend, but as I said, we will be keeping our ranks and titles.

Now that we are into the new year, it's the perfect time to talk about the Pegasus Fleet Sim of the Year award. The PFA has decided that special recognition should be given to a sim that has shown exemplary performance for the entire year. To determine the Sim of the Year, we have decided to have two stages to the award. The first stage is to identify the top three sims for the year. This is based on a point system where points are awarded to a sim each time it wins a fleet award, namely one of the Sim of the Month awards or a Post of the Month award. The points have been tallied beginning in December 2015 through November 2016, which we have been using as the fleet year. For 2016, the three finalists, in no particular order, are the USS Antares, the USS Victory, and Starbase 332. Each of these three sims have won multiple sim of the month and post of the month awards throughout the previous fleet year. And although I am a little biased, I think they are all three deserving of the award. But it's not my decision to make: it's yours! We felt that this decision was best left to the fleet to decide. I've opened up a poll, which can be accessed here. I encourage everyone to go check out these sims if you have not already, and place your vote for the one that you feel is most deserving of this award. The winner will be announced in next month's monthly update. Congratulations to the crews of the three finalists, and as I'm sure any CO could tell you, we're nothing without a great crew. The poll will close on February 10.

We'll be discussing these topics along with others from the rest of the PFA this Sunday, January 15, at our monthly meeting. The meeting will be held at 8:00 pm UTC (3:00 pm EST) in the #meeting channel of the Fleet Discord server. The meeting is open to all current and prospective members of Pegasus Fleet. As always, we will open the floor to general discussion, so if anyone has questions for the PFA or the other members of the fleet, the monthly meeting is a great time to bring them up. Next month's meeting will be held on Sunday, February 12.

As always, Live Long and Prosper

------------------------------------------------
Sim of the Month Award
Gold Sim of the Month - USS Gladiator-A
Silver Sim of the Month - USS Antares
Bronze Sim of the Month - USS Tomcat

------------------------------------------------
Post of the Month Award
November's Post of the Month goes to:

"Haruna Mizuhara & The Silver Koi Fish" by Lieutenant JG Haruna Mizuhara (USS Antares)

For the December Post of the Month, follow the link below, check out the nominated posts by clicking "[READ HERE]" next to each nominee, and vote for your favorite.

Voting will close on Saturday, December 31, so be sure to make your voice heard. Commanding Officers, be sure to remind your crews so that we don't miss anyone.

Cast Your Vote Now!
Fleet Admiral Emily Quinn
Commanding Officer
11th 'Pegasus' Fleet

Fleet Captain Liarra Von
Commanding Officer
Starbase 332

Return to “Fleet Announcements”