A place for fleet staff to make announcements

Moderators: Pegasus Fleet Admiralty, Fleet Ops

Williams
Admin
Admin

IFS Upgrade

Post by Williams » Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:55 am

Everyone,

Today I have pushed through to the main IFS site some major upgrades that have been in the works for the past few weeks. Essentially the aim of these upgrades has been to improve the usability of the site, particularly focussing on enabling it to work on a wider range of devices. The IFS of old performed rather terribly on mobile devices and even tablets to an extent, and didn't work very well for those of you who prefer to have it open in a smaller browser window. Those days are gone now with the integration of the Bootstrap framework into the site, which enables it to adjust its appearance and layout responsively to the screen size it is viewed on.

The integration of Bootstrap has allowed (and in some cases necessitated) some updates to the styles of the site; you'll notice that some of the text is subtly different in terms of its size and weight, but you'll also notice an updated user menu and form fields. Whilst these were largely to allow the site to make use of the relevant Bootstrap classes to enable the responsive design, they should also serve to modernise the site a little bit. There are a number of other changes that you (particularly those COs amongst you) should notice; your user details page has an updated way of displaying your character lists (with characters in the deleted pool also pushed down to the bottom of the list), an updated way of displaying the sim's crew manifest, and better ways of displaying most lists in general (take a look at the specifications database or the awards list for the most prominent examples of that).

The mandatory inclusion of jQuery in order to make Bootstrap work also means that we were able to enhance some of the features of the IFS, such as the edit crew page - you will now be shown a preview of the rank pips and background combination that you have selected, which should help COs choose the right combination the first time, instead of having to choose it and then check the manifest to see what it looks like.

There have also been a few upgrades behind the scenes to try and make sure some of the functions on the site work a little bit better, but hopefully they should be invisible to the vast majority of users.

We've tried to make sure to test all of the functions on the site with these upgrades as much as we can, but given the wide variety of devices out there, there's always a chance that we've missed something. If you see anything that doesn't look or work right on the site, then you should either email webmaster@pegasusfleet.net or mention it in the #help channel on Discord (it might be good to mention me with @Williams to make sure I see it).

I hope you enjoy the updates =)

Terris
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Re: IFS Upgrade

Post by Terris » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:32 pm

Can we figure out how to fix the academy stuff????
“Your job is to keep holding on, even when you think you can’t”--Captain Janeway

Williams
Admin
Admin

Re: IFS Upgrade

Post by Williams » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:16 pm

The Academy code is probably the more complex part of the IFS site, so while it's hard to try and track issues down, the latest updates should see some improvements on the Academy side of things. If the latest updates haven't fixed what you're having issues with, then you're going to have to give me specific scenarios where something doesn't work, so I can try and reproduce it in the test environment to see what goes wrong.

(Sorry I didn't reply when you first did - have had to spent much of the last few weeks house hunting)

Return to “Fleet Announcements”