Andorians

Items that have been adopted as GAC articles

Moderator: Clement

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Andorians

Post by FruitLoop » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:12 pm

That sounds good. Does this sound good to everyone else?

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by FruitLoop » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:32 pm

I just had a thought. What about using one for an unmarried person and the other for a married person? Humans have that...

Confusedfire
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Confusedfire » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:54 pm

Both methods work perfectly fine for me.
Captain Neela Izal
Commanding Officer TF37
Commanding Officer SB-812

"Spot this is down...down is good!"

- LCDR Data

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by FruitLoop » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:19 pm

/me nods. Does anyone second that?

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:49 pm

I still personally think 'pick one' would do, but sure :P

I always tend to try and remember that alien races, whilst humanoid, aren't human, so most of their customs won't be the same as ours

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by FruitLoop » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:11 pm

Changed.

Terris
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Post by Terris » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:07 am

Looking good. I've never played Andorians so I would know where to give advice if I had any. But from what I read its very detailed.
“Your job is to keep holding on, even when you think you can’t”--Captain Janeway

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:14 pm

I think that this bit of the history should be either dropped or re-written. It reads more like a timeline of events that in the grand scheme of things (aside from happening in a book or episode) aren't majorly relevant in the species article:
By 2164, Commander Shran was promoted to the rank of general and appointed Jonathan Archer as an honorary member of the Andorian Imperial Guard. Five years later, in 2169, Archer then became Federation ambassador to Andoria.
As a key member of the Federation, Andorian Ambassador Shras represented Andoria at the Babel Conference in 2268, at which the planet supported the admission of Coridan as a new member of the Federation.
In 2286, Andoria held two seats in the Federation Council. An Andorian served on the ruling council of the pocket dimension Elysia during the late 23rd century. It was unknown how long his species had been trapped in that universe.
At some point before the 24th century, a few rogue Andorians continued to be a threat to Starfleet starships.
During the Dominion War, Andor was the next potential target for an invasion after the fall of Betazed in 2374.
Though the last two lines could probably be kept, but reworded slightly. Perhaps to something similar to:
Even by the 24th Century however, there were some Andorians who did not follow the majority in welcoming the Federation, and a number have become marked as fugitives by both the Federation and the Andorian local government after making raids and thefts against Federation and even Starfleet assets.

During the Dominion War, many Starfleet tacticians feared that Andor was a potential high-value target for invasion after the fall of Betazed in 2374, and many felt that were such an attack to happen, the loss of a Founding World would cause irreparable harm to the morale of Federation citizens.
I think the family section could do with being re-written. At the moment, reading it it sounds a bit stop-and-start with the way the sentences are structured, and could do with being made to read more smoothly.

The First Contact section could do with elaboration: What went wrong in it? Did such a bitter rivalry have a kick start from the beginning, or was it something built up over the centuries?

Government: I had a quick look around the net when this first went up, as I was wondering about the monarchy aspect in here - though the word 'Imperial' is all over everything Andorian, their personalities just didn't seem to fit with a race which would put up with one singular ruler like that into recent centuries. The only reference I was able to find in my skimming of sites was on Memory Beta; which refers to an 'Empty Throne', which I think could actually be quite a nice bit of cultural history to have in there. Any chance of looking into that for the Andorian local government?

Just a few thoughts after reading through it in more detail.

Return to “GACified!”