FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Trill (Humanoid)

Post by FruitLoop » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:07 am

Now doing Trill Symbionts...

OFFICES OF THE GALACTIC ANTHROPOLOGY COMMISSION
Species Format Submission Form 35489.2321A

Please fill out this form in as much detail as possible.

SPECIES NAME: Trill

IMAGE: Image

CULTURAL DESIGNATION: Trill Homeworld

HOME SYSTEM: Trill, also called Trillius.

HOME REGION: Unknown

HOME QUADRANT: Alpha

PLANETARY INFORMATION: Trill is a mostly tropical and temperate world with colder regions close to the poles. The southern subcontinent is good for vacations. One geographical point of interest is the Caves of Mak’ala where the symbionts are born and kept when not joined with the Trill humanoids. The unjoined Trill who work in the caves can know what symbiont a Trill is joined to just by touching their skin. The Tenaran Ice Cliffs are frequented by daredevil rock climbers, said to be some of the most challenging in the Federation.

DISCOVERY DATE & SHIP: eg. 2067, unknown Vulcan ship.

EXTINCTION DATE: If applicable

AFFILIATION: Federation Members

CAPITAL: Leran Manev

POLITICAL SYSTEM: Republic

POPULATION: 16.2 Billion

APPEARANCE: Trills, both joined and unjoined, appear largely human except for dark spots that run on either side of the body from forehead to toes. They extend from the head down the neck, in front of the arms, down the sides of the torso, legs and feet. The pattern varies from person to person and men tend to have darker spots than women.

Trills are able to be joined with lifeforms called symbionts, which are 90% neural matter. It is a great honor to be joined, thus only the best are given the chance. One must accomplish things on their own first, to prove that they deserve it, such as science, art, ambassador, or something of similar note. Trill carry these life-forms in a pouch in the abdomen and are incapable of being separated from each other without death after 72 hours.

LANGUAGE: The local tradespeak is Federation Standard. The native Trill tongue is easily picked up by universal translators.

CHARACTER: Trills are inquisitive and yet at the same time, secretive. They do not allow outsiders to know too much about the symbionts and for good reason. Protection of the symbionts is such that their entire culture has developed around the joining process. Most Trill apply to become initiates around age 18-22, though some Trills do not wish to apply. If chosen to become an initiate, one must undergo extremely thorough tests and screenings to make sure they are capable of being joined and that they are joined to the right symbiont. The Symbiosis Commission maintains that only 0.01% of the population is capable of becoming joined with a symbiont, though many in recent years have come to question this, stating that there is evidence that nearly 50% of the population might be able to join with a symbiont, though the Symbiosis Commission still maintains their lower figure and references it when explaining why there are so few candidates chosen for initiation.

In some Trill, the desire to become joined is so strong that they will resort to any means in order to obtain a symbiont, even if it risks the life of another.

Federation space, close to the Cardassian Border

HISTORY:
The Trill symbionts became noticed 10,000 years ago when a shaman wondered what they were. When he discovered that they could give enhanced good health, he began to put them in the people’s pouches. This was how it was discovered that the memories of one person carried over to the next host through the symbiont. Loved ones were not really gone. They could live forever through the memories of the symbionts. This gave birth to the Trill obsession with becoming joined. Over the next ten millennia, several joined hosts have caught the attention of the Trill government. They were called monsters as the host themselves was not dangerous and the symbionts were not dangerous on their own, but when joined they became murderers.

Trills broke the warp barrier in 2067. They became Federation members in the 2280s.

TECHNOLOGY:
Trills were warp capable in the 21st Century. They created replicators, of a crude type, soon after. The Trill Science Institiute is a leading school of science and technology.

RELIGION:
Trills hold memories above all. The memories of a person is held in high regard, though not in a religious sense.

CONTACT: The Trills were contacted by Vulcans in the mid 2100s. They found that they were not alone in the universe and wished to explore. However, they did not become members of the Federation until the 2280s.

GOVERNMENT: The Trill Senate is held in the Trill Senate Tower and is headed by a chairman. Senators are elected by the people who then vote on laws which are in turn passed or vetoed by the President. The Trill Symbiosis Commission is the governmental body that exclusively deals with the Trill host/symbiont relationship. It is against the law for a Trill host to become reassociated with a former lover from a past life. Such a crime would mean excommunication from Trill for both host and symbiont, meaning that the sybmiont would die with its current host. The Trill Symbiosis Commission has 300 symbionts for joining each year and around 1000 applicants, half of which are capable of being joined.

MILITARY:
Starfleet is the military of the Federation.

The Trill Planetary Police are known for their fairness but also for their strictness.

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION:
One ritual of joined Trills is called the zhin’tara, where a joined Trill meets its past hosts. A guardian from the Caves of Mak’ala assists in the ceremony, whereby the memories and personalities of the past hosts are passed one at a time to friends or family of the current host.
Last edited by FruitLoop on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Confusedfire
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: Trill (Humanoid)

Post by Confusedfire » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:26 pm

Nothing here aside from when you move this to the wiki you should combine this with the other one...Oh and for extinction date you forgot to take out "only when applicable" ...
Captain Neela Izal
Commanding Officer TF37
Commanding Officer SB-812

"Spot this is down...down is good!"

- LCDR Data

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by FruitLoop » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:46 pm

That's an idea. Does everyone else agree?

Terris
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Post by Terris » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:18 am

Nice. I really like Trills. I have a Trill Character rather a couple trill characters.
“Your job is to keep holding on, even when you think you can’t”--Captain Janeway

Sengar Anjohl
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Sengar Anjohl » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:58 am

I agree with Confused, we should defiantly put it in the wiki.

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:36 pm

The aim is to get all of these on the wiki :) (Hence why whenever I submit anything, I do it in my wiki sandbox and post a link - saves me having to re-work it in wiki format ;))

I agree with merging this with the Symbiont article for the wiki; with the amount of information we have on symbionts at present, it doesn't really warrant its own article right now.

As for this piece itself:
to prove that they deserve it, such as science, art, ambassador, something.
I think that the 'something' bit there needs replacing or embellishing upon. Even if it's just to change it to 'or something similar of note'

The 'Character' section contradicts the 'Appearance' section - the latter states that a Trill must accomplish something on their own first (even citing becoming an ambassador), but then the Character section talks about Trill applying at the age of 10 then again at 17. I would think that it would be later in life rather than that early, since I sincerely doubt that a child would be ready to even begin as an initiate. About the 20s would be where I'd say most initiates would come from. I'm also uncertain about whether we should say that all Trill apply to be hosts; Ezri didn't I don't think, neither did her family, and I remember reading a novel at one point that included a Trill who was completely against the whole culture around joining, which I thought was quite an interesting change to what we'd seen up until that point. Perhaps just re-wording it so that it doesn't exclude that there may be a fair number of Trill who don't want to apply, and that it isn't part of every Trill's growing up to apply?
Symbiosis Commission told the public that only 0.01 percent was capable of being joined. This was a fallicy as nearly 50% are able to be joined. Some Trill will stop at nothing to be become a host to a symbiont.
This bit above could probably do with a bit of re-writing to make it read a little smoother. Perhaps something like the below:
The Symbiosis Commission maintains that only 0.01% of the population is capable of becoming joined with a symbiont, though many in recent years have come to question this, stating that there is evidence that nearly 50% of the population might be able to join with a symbiont, though the Symbiosis Commission still maintains their lower figure and references it when explaining why there are so few candidates chosen for initiation.

In some Trill, the desire to become joined is so strong that they will resort to any means in order to obtain a symbiont, even if it risks the life of another.

I'm unsure whether the reference to the monsters in the history section feels right there, or if it should be moved to another section of the article.

In the government section, the bit about the punishment for re-association needs to be amended; the punishment is excommunication and exile from Trill, which means that the symbiont won't receive another host, and thus will die with the host. As it reads at present, it sounds as if a Trill would be executed if they re-associate. Also, with the suggested re-write above, I don't think that the mention of the Symbiosis Commission hiding the truth is needed in this bit; it looks a bit out of place anyway, so far away from the mention of the lie.

Return to “GACified!”