Items that have been adopted as GAC articles

Moderator: Clement

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Starfleet

Post by FruitLoop » Thu May 16, 2013 1:43 am

http://wiki.pegasusfleet.net/index.php? ... /Starfleet

Don't know how much to put in the equipment section, cause I found grenades, flight vests, and all sorts of crap though I don't think the fleet wants to use all of it. I would list the ships and phase weaponry of course, and transporters, but what else?

Seleia
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

Starfleet

Post by Seleia » Thu May 16, 2013 4:36 am

I wouldn't put anything about weapons in that article. It's about the organization. So it should be the history if star fleet, it's mission, major historical points... Etc... Shouldn't cover weapons, fleets, task groups etc

Williams
Admin
Admin

Re: Starfleet

Post by Williams » Thu May 16, 2013 9:20 am

I'd say that information about fleets should be in there, since that is part of the overall organisational structure of Starfleet, but anything below that it shouldn't go into detail for - otherwise that would have the potential of either restricting the fleet or making us contradictory to our own canon (the 5 task forces, for example). I think that internal fleet organisation should be just mentioned as something along the lines of 'each fleet has further organisational divisions to assist in its operations, which are determined largely on a fleet-by-fleet basis' and maybe something brief about 'occasionally in times where a large scale battle is on the horizon, task forces or task groups will be gathered together to form a cohesive fighting unit'.

Also, reading up on it since our Skype talk, it seems that current canon has treated 'Starfleet Engineering' and 'Starfleet Corps of Engineers' as one in the same - and personally I just think that the latter has a far more appealing sound to it :) May be worth changing those mentions, perhaps.

For equipment, I'd say either just mention the standard gear, or just have a link to a page to go into the gear in more depth. Same with the uniforms. Ship classes we can sort easily by just using the same template that is on all of the specifications pages.

One thing that I think it might be worth mentioning in the history though, is a bit about the transition from Earth Starfleet to Federation Starfleet. Something that has always seemed curious to me is why Earth's ships, being the newest of the founding members in terms of spaceflight, become the standard design for Starfleet going forwards - I can't remember exactly where I read it, but I found recently somewhere explaining that it was due to the effect of the craft's shape on the warp field geometry - Vulcan ship designs weren't able to change direction mid-flight during warp so easily, which was fine for them but a bother for Starfleet, and there was something about how having the nacelles either above or below the ship's centre of mass was more beneficial, which explains why they didn't stick with Andorian designs. I'll see if I can dig it up for you, but I just thought that it was a very interesting thing and it explains why the Federation Starfleet preferred the saucer-engineering-nacelle configuration we're all so familiar with.

Return to “GACified!”