Award Ideas

Stephen
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Award Ideas

Post by Stephen » Wed May 15, 2013 6:25 am

Hello Everyone! One of my major goals in my new role here as DPM is to improve the fleet's award system. That being said I want to invite everyone to start discussing some ideas regarding the system. Updates to current awards, changes to how we do things, new awards, etc. So please feel free to start posting discussion in here with your ideas to get thing moving along with what YOU the fleet member want to see. You can also feel free to E-mail me directly or even PM me here on the forum if you wish.

Williams
Admin
Admin

Re: Award Ideas

Post by Williams » Wed May 15, 2013 12:08 pm

First thing I would say is bringing back the monthly and annual awards - they were always great ways to showcase great sims and great posts, but it's been a long while since they were last handed out.

Stephen
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Award Ideas

Post by Stephen » Wed May 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Williams wrote:First thing I would say is bringing back the monthly and annual awards - they were always great ways to showcase great sims and great posts, but it's been a long while since they were last handed out.
Good to know! I saw them in the system but as a new fleet member I didn't know they weren't actually in use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by FruitLoop » Thu May 16, 2013 1:19 am

Another thing I would say is get rid of the horrendous graphics. I mean, come on. Gummi Bears? Seriously?

Stephen
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Award Ideas

Post by Stephen » Thu May 16, 2013 3:00 am

Enor wrote:Another thing I would say is get rid of the horrendous graphics. I mean, come on. Gummi Bears? Seriously?
Already have that covered!

Thomas Smith
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

Post by Thomas Smith » Thu May 16, 2013 10:56 pm

I would not mind seeing a series of in character awards that are available to all Captains as standards within the fleet. Something we could award with a little paragraph or two and then have some recognition perhaps here on the forum that is mirrored in a note from the admirality to the player so that their character as well as the player themselves has something to work towards. I have issued a couple of awards this past month and I think my players enjoyed them but they were player awards...how about purple hearts and distinguished service crosses that sort of thing that the character can earn in game.

Stephen
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Petty Officer 2nd Class

Award Ideas

Post by Stephen » Thu May 16, 2013 11:46 pm

Thomas Smith wrote:I would not mind seeing a series of in character awards that are available to all Captains as standards within the fleet. Something we could award with a little paragraph or two and then have some recognition perhaps here on the forum that is mirrored in a note from the admirality to the player so that their character as well as the player themselves has something to work towards. I have issued a couple of awards this past month and I think my players enjoyed them but they were player awards...how about purple hearts and distinguished service crosses that sort of thing that the character can earn in game.
I'm glad you brought this up and I'm curious how others feel on this.

My personal opinion is that we want to award the player not the character. Anyone can write their character doing something award worthy. The question is does the writer actually bring something to the table? Did they write an amazing post where things went wrong? To me the awards should be about the member and their accomplishments and not so much the character.

I'm not saying we can't/shouldn't have these awards or maybe have an IV award list on the wiki maybe for IC stuff but for the actual DPM official fleet awards do we want them for characters, players, or both?

Seleia
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

Post by Seleia » Fri May 17, 2013 12:36 am

I think character awards (such as the Purple Heart, etc) can all be done IC if it is needed for the plot. You think the character has grounds for that award, then you can issue it with a NPC Admiral. I believe that at the Fleet Level awards should be for things the player does. Excellent writing, plot development, time in service, going above and beyond in various services.. etc.. those are the things that should be awarded at the fleet level.

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by FruitLoop » Fri May 17, 2013 4:49 pm

Actually I agree with Smith. I was once awarded the Sciences Service Medal in OF, and it thrilled me to no end. It was an IC award as well as an OOC one, and I loved getting it. It really means something to the player. So yeah, I think we should have them.

Terris
Junior Lieutenant
Junior Lieutenant

Post by Terris » Sat May 18, 2013 12:19 am

The Distinguished Service Crosses were discontinued because they weren't getting attention like the others. If you guys want the Service Crosses back they would have to be brought to the PFA to have them re-instated.
“Your job is to keep holding on, even when you think you can’t”--Captain Janeway

Return to “Award Archives”