2nd Characters/PNPCs

Have a question? Ask here, and a member of the staff will do their best to answer it for you!
Sengar Anjohl
Crewman
Crewman

2nd Characters/PNPCs

Post by Sengar Anjohl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:37 am

So just a quick question. I know that each player is only allowed 1 Playing character per sim, but what about secondary characters? I mean like if I create a character on my sim (USS Vancouver) and I write him/her into the story and then someone applies for that position... do I just write the character out or can I make the character a playing character to make the position final?

And if I do that can I put (PNPC) behind the name to show that it is now a playing character, but just a character that I use and I don't want to have to remove/demote him/her to accommodate another player.

Please let me know if this even makes since. it makes since in my head at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Confusedfire
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Re: 2nd Characters/PNPCs

Post by Confusedfire » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:22 pm

I'm not staff but I think I can answer this...(Part of the GAC so I guess that may count *shrugs*)

You are able to have as many PNPC's on a sim as the CO allows you to have. Since it's your sim you may have as many as you want, but you need to make certain that the number of NPC's that are linked are set correctly in the settings.

In regards to having an PNPC or NPC in a position that is applied for the new Player should automatically get that position unless there are multiple posts available. A Department Head role should always go to the new player, and you should try not to put a PNPC into a playing character, and if they are linked to you then your system won't allow you to do so unless you have the number set a certain way, but then all accounts can have two or more playing characters at any time. Also Playing Characters don't show up if they aren't linked to an account learned this when I tried to make a fiction on NOVA once a long time ago.
Captain Neela Izal
Commanding Officer TF37
Commanding Officer SB-812

"Spot this is down...down is good!"

- LCDR Data

Joe_Rhimer
Master Chief Petty Officer

Post by Joe_Rhimer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:23 pm

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to know if you can put a PNPC into a slot on your ship and leave the spot closed to other applicants?

I think technically that would be the equivilant of having two PCs... but I also have to ask: Why would a PNPC be preferable over another live player on your SIM?

Joe_Rhimer

Post by Joe_Rhimer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:24 pm

Actually... Are you saying that you'd want the applicant to take over the PNPC character?

Sengar Anjohl
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Sengar Anjohl » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:15 pm

The reason I am asking, is I am on another fleet that lets you have as many playing characters as you want on a sim, so now this is a little weird to me. lol But what I am saying is, if I make a PNPC and I develop him/her in the story, I would want to make the his/her permanent position. Cause I wouldn't want to kill him/her off if they are a main part of the cast. But I suppose I have my answer. Thanks. :)

Confusedfire
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Confusedfire » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:41 pm

In that case then yes you could activate the PNPC and then link the character to your account.
Captain Neela Izal
Commanding Officer TF37
Commanding Officer SB-812

"Spot this is down...down is good!"

- LCDR Data

Joe_Rhimer

Post by Joe_Rhimer » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:17 pm

Who would be taking over the CO spot in the case though, Confused? 1 player character per SIM. Or is that not a fleet rule and something justified by the CO?

Thompson
Chief of Fleet Operations
Chief of Fleet Operations

Post by Thompson » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Something I know about (Yay). You are a llowed only 1 Primary Character. This is the one that will go onto the manifest and will show as logging in as in Nova. Your as said allowed as many PNPC's as the CO allows. In my case that's however many you want. However your PNPC's are not entitled to their position over an actual player. It's the same thing as a NPC holding a chief spot, if a new player wants the chief spot and your PNPC is there then you will need to move back.

FruitLoop
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by FruitLoop » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:19 pm

I know something about this from the potential player's end. I applied to a ship for lounge manager and got recreations officer instead because of the woman's attitude towards NPCs. Existing NPCs were allowed more say than actual players. It was something that she eventually got in trouble with the fleet for, and when I asked to be changed to CEO when it became available, I was once again told that existing NPCs of players that were long gone had to stay in favor of mine. That pisses people off very quickly and word is likely to spread about your ship in a negative way. Cause people won't keep those experiences to themselves. They would tell their friends to keep them from experiencing it, who would tell their friends, and so on, until the entire fleet knew about it and you had trouble getting players.

In summary: Don't do it.

Sengar Anjohl
Crewman
Crewman

Post by Sengar Anjohl » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:25 pm

Thanks for all the advise guys. I have decided that people don't like t so I won't do it. :)

Return to “Questions for PF Staff”