Simm rating change?

Have a question? Ask here, and a member of the staff will do their best to answer it for you!
Joshua
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Simm rating change?

Post by Joshua » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:29 pm

I'm not too sure if I'm asking the right people but I would like to change the rating of USS Victory from PG-13 to 15+.

With the intention of more darker and grittier missions in mind for the Simm, I feel that a 15+ rating would be more suitable to match the coming ideas intended for the Victory. The strong emphasis on character development is the reason I am looking to request the change, with highlights on strong language and more mature themes and emotions playing an integral part in the development of the Victory and towards the ideas put forward by her Crew.

Hopefully I have posted the request in the right section, if not then sorry! Feel free to direct me otherwise!

Thanks
Josh
(Elijah Michaels - CO USS Victory
Captain Elijah Michaels
Commanding Officer
USS Victory

http://victory.pegasusfleet.net

Mike
Admin
Admin

Re: Simm rating change?

Post by Mike » Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:29 pm

Hey Josh,

It's no worries. It's kind of the right place, kind of not. Usually the best idea if you have a question for us directly is to shoot us an email: pfadmiralty@pegasusfleet.net but since I've seen this, I'll get a vote in motion and get back to you as soon as possible. :)

Mike
ImageImageImageImage

Treymiar
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Treymiar » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:20 pm

I would like to suggest multi-tiered ratings for Sims.

I have been member of Sims which seemed less Star Trek and more Sex Trek.
More than one of my characters has been targeted for, let's call it rabid sexual joint posting.
I remember thinking, "Whoah, is this what it's like for women? This is crazy!"
Yet, the sims themselves had 18+ ratings.

There is no law preventing CO's from implementing tiered ratings. For example:
Rating - Violence: 18+
Rating - Sexual Content: PG15

Personally, I believe that strong intimacy and violence can be portrayed without gratuitous graphicness. Come on, think about it. Between Kirk's escapades and phaser disintegrations in TOS, PG rating was plenty. However if players are being uncomfortably plagued by people who abuse the sim rating as a shield, then a tiered rating could be helpful.

- PSF

"Sometimes, people become enemies because they don't understand each other.
Other times, they become enemies because they do."

Mike
Admin
Admin

Post by Mike » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:39 pm

You're right enough that- at least from my point of view- the ratings can be a bit arbitrary since there's a huge difference between usual age classifications in films between different countries. This is, at least in as far as I know, what the ratings for the sims are based on.

There's already something similar called the Universal RPG Rating system which I'm going to ask the rest of the Admiralty to look into. I think there's definitely scope to make some changes. Leave it with us. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Jaydyn Reid

Post by Jaydyn Reid » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:38 am

I use the rpgrating.com rating system for my sim. I like doing that so that I can have language and violence without the strong sexual themes.

Confusedfire
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

Post by Confusedfire » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:17 pm

I've always presumed that 13+ meant 13+ regardless of nationality. So the Praxis is open to that age group and up regardless of what country they are from. But, I was also unaware of the differences.
Captain Neela Izal
Commanding Officer TF37
Commanding Officer SB-812

"Spot this is down...down is good!"

- LCDR Data

Mike
Admin
Admin

Post by Mike » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:04 pm

Yeah, that was pretty confusing on my part. What I mean is that the 'acceptable content' in PG-13, 15+ and 18+ in terms of film classifications varies wildly from country to country so you might find someone getting more than they bargained for in a 15+ game.
ImageImageImageImage

Mike
Admin
Admin

Post by Mike » Tue May 05, 2015 9:41 am

Hey all,

Just a quick one to say that we're going to have some news on this in the next couple of days. Thanks for your patience. :)
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Questions for PF Staff”