General discussion area for all sims in TF37

Moderator: Terris

Williams
Admin
Admin

Delta Quadrant Map

Post by Williams » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:40 pm

Hey everyone

So I finally dug out my old PSD of the map I did of the Delta Quadrant, based off the same star charts source as the Alpha/Beta Quadrant map. I've updated the styling of it to match our most recent maps, but haven't done anything else to it yet (I'll want to be adjusting some things to make them look a bit more realistic at some point soon; for example the fact that the planet Haakonia and the Haakonian Outpost are both shown outside of Haakonian space), but I wanted to put it up here for discussion before I started making too many changes.

I have decided to put it on a larger scale than the Alpha/Beta maps (they go on a scale of 10Ly = 32px, which I think I calculated from the distance between Earth and Vulcan. This map I've decided to put the scale in the key as 100Ly = 40px. From research I've done online, Voyager would have travelled about 40000Ly between the Caretaker's Array and New Talax, and so I used that distance to work out the scale. I think we just have to assume that none of the maps go right to the outside borders of their respective quadrants in order to deal with the scaling differences).

The main things I wanted to discuss with everyone are what region to focus on for the more in-detail TF map (in the same way TF11 has, and the WIP one for TF56), and then where specifically our return catapult and Oberon Base are going to be placed.

Anyway, here's the link to the map (mobile users be warned; lots of pixels): http://pegasusfleet.net/images/maps/new ... _dquad.png

Given our major races - Devore Imperium, Vaadwaur, Hirogen and Malon, I think it's fairly safe to say that we're in the lower part of the map, under the main bit of Borg space. You've got the Devore Imperium and Malon Sanctity space there, as well as one of the (presumably many) areas of Hirogen space. The Vaadwaur homeworld is in that area too, though after the episode that featured them, I think it was established they used their subspace corridors to go and form a colony elsewhere, so we can make up a new bit of territory for them (maybe even map in some of the subspace corridors as we go?). Then we just need to decide whether to be on the Turei side of Voyager's original route, or the Malon side of it. I think the Malon side has more to play with since there's a bit more space on the map there before going off the edge of it, but I can always expand the map if we did want to stretch out a bit more.

So what do people think?

Jack Mantell
Crewman Recruit
Crewman Recruit

Re: Delta Quadrant Map

Post by Jack Mantell » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:35 pm

Is there a higher resolution version? It's hard to read the very small text for individual planets.

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:38 pm

This is the highest resolution I have at the moment - when we decide on a bit to focus in one, then that section will be increased to 2x its current resolution at least. This one should be large enough for the text to be legible though - unless you have a really big monitor, your browser is likely to scale it down to get it to fit in the window when you click the link. Your cursor should change to a magnifying glass when you mouse over it though, in which case click on the image and it'll zoom in to show at its true resolution. It can still be difficult to read the names of some planets when they're really close together, but I'll be fixing that in my next edit.

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:30 pm

OK, so I'm going to sit down and go through updates to the map at some point next week, and hopefully work up a zoomed-in version for the Task Force area of operations, showing where things like the return catapult and that are.

I'm going to clean up some of the discrepancies in the existing one (such as the Haakonians being in two places and not including their own home world), but does anyone have any comments about things that should be changed/added before I get to work on it? I know Thompson said in Discord the other day that some of the TF Canon is getting a review - so I'll probably catch up with you on Discord at some point to discuss things needed for the map in relation to that, and the specific locations of points of interest and so on, but if anyone else has any comments on the map before I start my edits, now's the time :)

Williams
Admin
Admin

Post by Williams » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:50 am

I've finally managed to get the updates done. My move got in the way, but also there were a lot of changes made to the map, either with place names being corrected or with some planets being relocated slightly. There's been a fair amount of research that's gone into it, so hopefully it's as accurate as I can get it right now.

The full Delta Quadrant map is available here: https://pegasusfleet.net/images/maps/ga ... _dquad.png
And the TF37-focussed version is here: https://pegasusfleet.net/images/maps/ga ... t_tf37.png

Given that we don't have many logos for the various powers in the DQ, and that most of the outposts don't fall into any particular power, I've opted to use actual images of them where I can (and taken a reasonable facsimile for when one doesn't exist) and tried to use effects to make sure they're visible. Since the DQ map also has some anomalies on it (when the other maps just have nebulae) I've also used either actual images from the show or facsimiles for those as well. The place names and images are still fairly condensed just down to the nature of the map, but hopefully at full resolution it's clear enough for everyone to be able to read and see where things are.

Return to “Task Force 37 General Discussions”